We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo Suggestion for Family with Teens

Toronto
9 posts
Save Topic
Condo Suggestion for Family with Teens

This question has probably been asked but we are looking into the Plantana and the Beachcomber and are wondering which is better of the two. Those seem to be two of the better condos but if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know. We are looking for a central location to restaurants and grocery store as well as sandy beach and calm waters. Finally we are trying to be cost effective but still have that relaxing vacation experience. Thanks!

Indiana
Level Contributor
248 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo Suggestion for Family with Teens

I've stayed at Plantana for years & love it....

the grounds are amazing & also close to the westin if the teens want to rent jet skis.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo Suggestion for Family with Teens

I wouldn't call the Beachcomber cost effective :) - they're one of the most expensive condo properties on Seven Mile Beach.

Depends on your budget and what time of year you are looking at.

If you haven't already, take a look at CaymanVacations.com or CayDirect.com and compare various options.

Plantana, Coralstone club, Meridian and Casa Caribe are other good options in that area.

Edited: 28 April 2014, 22:54
Toronto
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo Suggestion for Family with Teens

Yes I agree Beachcomber is quite high. Meridian and Coralstone are just as high. The only reason I would consider Beachcomber is for its location. Walking distance to stores, etc...We are planning a trip for the beginning of August. Just wondering if its worth going further north or south of that area to save some $ ? I looked at South Bay Beach, but the beach doesn't look as sandy. Thanks for the info, I might just have to bite the bullet and pay the extra.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,722 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo Suggestion for Family with Teens

Meridian is next door to Beachcomber; both are newer and considered "high risers" and in my estimation equals in all respects. The only non high rise in same category, IMO, is Coralstone. They are all super conveniently located and sport superior sandy beachfronts, amenities. Casa Caribe is very nice; a low rise with great sandy beachfront, amenities, conveniently located and has a pool that is not beachfront. Saving a few bucks by staying at Casa Caribe might be well worth your consideration. Many like staying at Plantana which is just north of Westin. We have not stayed there, but have walked by oodles of times. Units at Plantana seem to be placed further back from the beachfront and what we have seen is a fairly decent slope leading to beach area with, for whatever reason, very few if any Plantana renters using the beach area.

Have stayed at Meridian many times, toured Beachcomber but have not stayed there since received good "return" discount at Meridian. Would live to try Coralstone but available dates not open for our timeframe. Stayed at Casa Caribe 6 months post-Ivan when so few places were open and liked very much!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo Suggestion for Family with Teens

If you look at Casa Carib, you should also look next door at the Islands Club.....no pool, but the big blue sea just steps from your unit. And beautiful casuarina trees for shade.....no umbrellas needed.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
179 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo Suggestion for Family with Teens

Lily057 -

I had narrowed it down to Plantana, Meridian, and Beachcomber as well. My first choice was Meridian, but the rates were so much higher and Plantana seemed somehow more "relaxing" not being a high rise like the other two. Since it is just my husband and I traveling we really only needed a one bedroom and neither Meridian nor Beachcomber seemed to have a two bedroom lock off (that I could find).

Ultimately booked today with Plantana and couldn't be happier!

Toronto
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo Suggestion for Family with Teens

Thanks for all the info! I've reading so many reviews and have info overload!!

Bermudabarb, I feel the same way about Plantana. It seems more relaxing. I love that it's a low rise and away from the some of the hustle and bustle. Don't want to use an elevator.

Cmgparsons, looking at the Casa Carib, it seems like the ocean is a little deeper?? Not a gradual slope? Is that true?

Have booked my flight. Giving myself one more day of reading. Whatever we decide, I'm sure I can't go wrong. They all look beautiful.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
179 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Condo Suggestion for Family with Teens

Lily057 - My thoughts exactly about Plantana, just seems to scream "RELAX" and everything we were looking for in a vacation. Staff at Plantana have been phenomenal to deal with so far.

You may want to respond to iloveboxers who just posted and just returned from Plantana and loved it - I plan on asking her a ton of questions as well.

In the ton of posts I read and looked at over the past week or two, I read somewhere that someone complained about the "slope" down to the beach being steep? Can't seem to find the post now at all, so I am going to ask iloveboxers, but if that had been an issue, I think it would have been brought up more.

I am sure whatever you choose, you will be happy!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,876 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Condo Suggestion for Family with Teens

So I don't stay at these places because I have my own spot. Having said that Beachcomber is a step up from Plantana. Anywhere along SMB you can walk out a good distance and unless there is a front around there are not even waves. Beachcomber, Meridian, Carib Club (especially CC) are more upscale properties. My friends recently stayed at Coralstone which was gorgeous and is more upscale as well. Much depends on your budget but as the old saying goes you get what you pay for. That said the gov't in the Caymans is really strict about the requirements at properties so if you go mid or lower range you will still have a nice place, but obviously not the same as if you pay up. Think of hotels in Toronto -- you pay up for location for a reason and the more you pay the more upscale the place will be. Same thing in GC or any other destination in the world. Beware of "Reviews" , I'm on TA all the time and made a horrible mistake in the Florida Keys. I am convinced some places don't let customers out before they write a review!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Condo Suggestion for Family with Teens

Lily....not sure what you mean about the sea being *deeper* in front of certain properties. Recognize that the sea is constantly changing, but 99% of the time most of the beaches along SMB -- especially in the mid-portion where you are looking -- have a nice gentle slope into the crystal clear calm waters. Mostly powder fine sand, but occasionally there may be a collection of *rocks* --actually broken pieces of deal coral -- to stop over. Sometimes there is a *drop off* when you go a short distance into the water.....maybe a foot or so, nothing dramatic. The beach in front of Casa Carib & Islands Club is lovely, just as lovely as the beach in front of the Caribbean Club, Meridien, Beachcomber, etc etc and a whole lot cheaper. You will not be disappointed in the beach!

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach
Recent Conversations