We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling along seven mile beach area.

St Louis
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling along seven mile beach area.

We've been to Stingray City, Rum Point and Starfish Cove. Would like to snorkel Coral Gardens maybe. Is this something that is perfectly safe to do on our own? All boat tours offer the usual. Private charters are too pricey for us. If we took a boat, we prefer catamarans. Any suggestions?

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling along seven mile beach area.

An alternative to snorkeling at the Coral Gardens might be the 3-stop snorkeling excursion that Ocean Frontiers offers every Wednesday. My daughter and I really enjoyed it.

oceanfrontiers.com/snorkel-boat-trips/coral-…

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,148 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling along seven mile beach area.

None of the locations you mentioned are near SMB. If cost is an issue, I would explore snorkeling that is accessible from shore.

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
596 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling along seven mile beach area.

Is this only offered on wed? Couldn't find on website. Arriving and leaving on a Wed...

St Louis
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling along seven mile beach area.

This sounds like a very good option. Thanks

Level Contributor
6 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling along seven mile beach area.

You can snorkel anywhere along 7 mile beach. Just go out from the beach. Favorite places are Cemetery Beach which is up at the north end of 7 Mile beach area and also right in front of the Marriott, down toward town. There is a large artifical reef put there and it is very close to the shore.

Mary

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling along seven mile beach area.

Are you talking about the coral gardens off of Rum Point. Yes you can swim out to there...but check to see how the current is...it's a bit of a swim, but doable

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,757 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling along seven mile beach area.

Snorkeling directly off SMB might also include Cemetery Reef, Governor's Beach (swim out to the buoys), and Eden Rock right in George Town. Also Smiths Cove........all free.....can't beat the price!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling along seven mile beach area.

Will you have a car? There is lots of great snorkeling from the shore on Grand Cayman, check out Testudo's excellent guide at the link below:

http://snorkelblog.tumblr.com/

St Louis
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling along seven mile beach area.

I am guessing that all these places are safe to snorkel without a guide. I

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling along seven mile beach area.

When snorkeling from shore, you do so at your own risk. There are no lifeguards or Op staff to come to your aid if you have a problem. That said, if you check for currents and tides, know and respect your own limitations you should be fine. Some would debate the need for a snorkel vest but I won't snorkel without one.

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach