We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stingray City

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Stingray City

I am just wondering what the most reliable tour operator would be for the stingray snorkeling trip. I've seen that there are plenty to choose from from 30-90 dollars. With only 2 days in GC, I really want to do this trip (it's one of the main reasons I picked GC- I've never been snorkeling and it seems safe and different) and probably have one viable day to do it 8/5, so I want to book it with a tour operator that is dependable and preferably not the most expensive.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
170 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stingray City

We have used Captain Marvin's- amazing time!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stingray City

Are you interested in the "sandbar" which is shallow water or Stingray City which is much deeper? Most visitors go to the sandbar.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Stingray City

thank you dpp- I am visiting their website now. Love cayman- I want to see the sandbar and as a first time snorkeler, I want to be with other people and I probably don't have the expectations or need the most exotic locations in the Caymans like someone more experienced might. That said, of course, I want to see the best of Cayman, I've heard it has some of the best (and safest conditions for) snorkeling in the Caribbean.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stingray City

Many ops to chose from! Our family and friends have always been happy with Captain Marvin:-)

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,960 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stingray City

If you have never been snorkeling before, and want to get the most out of your sandbar trip (which usually includes a snorkel stop), I would strongly recommend that you spend a bit of time in the water getting used to it. What we have done with folks who haven't snorkeled is gone to Seven Mile Beach and let them try there, even though there's nothing really to see - that's not the objective. It's just to get the mechanics of the things down - the feeling of fins on the feet, the breathing through the snorkel, and the clearing of it when you get a little water in it. Just spending half an hour or so doing that will make the trip on the boat far more enjoyable, because then you can really enjoy everything there is to see without worrying about the equipment.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,296 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stingray City

I agree with Brit. Get comfortable in the water prior to going. But try to book at the beginning of your stay, as sometimes trips are cancelled due to windy conditions etc.. Hopefully you would have time to re-schedule

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,991 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stingray City

Just so you know you don't actually have to snorkel at Stingray Sandbar == it is only 3 to 5ft deep. You will snorkel at other spots if your trip includes that option. Don't worry there will be other newbies!!!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Stingray City

Thanks Everyone! I will try some practice on the beach. I've always wanted to snorkel, love fish of all types and am a strong swimmer who loves the water, but have always been one of these people who are afraid to get eaten or bitten or stung by things, so have never been brave enough to try snorkeling. The closest I've ever come is standing around a bunch of tiny yellow fish waist deep and seeing a dolphin swim by in Florida. So I figure this is the year to conquer this fear and do it! Though I know I don't want to be totally isolated (I'm a solo traveler, so no built in snorkel partners ;) and would do best with some other newbies! I've been researching away - as I am a research junkie and thanks for the advice.

9. Re: Stingray City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach
Recent Conversations