We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation on Grand Cayman

nyc
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation on Grand Cayman

Hi

I will be traveling with my three children and I need transportation to some attractions and also to dinner reservations. We are looking to visit the East End and other parts of the island. I heard that taxis are very expensive , so what are my alternatives? Maybe use the public buses but concerned about traveling at night after dinner???

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation on Grand Cayman

Rent a car for a couple days.

nyc
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation on Grand Cayman

Oh forgot to mention that I am not a confident driver, so I don't want to rent a car....

New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation on Grand Cayman

There is a free catamaran ride that goes from SML to Rum Point at certain times during the week. Here is the link: http://www.redsailcayman.com/rum-point

New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation on Grand Cayman

There is a free catamaran ferry that goes from SMB to Rum Point at certain times of the week. Look at the Red Sail Cayman website.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,832 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation on Grand Cayman

That is provided you commit to dinner at the Rum Point Restaurant.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation on Grand Cayman

where are you staying?

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation on Grand Cayman

Where are you staying? While the bus system is reliable for Seven Mile Beach, George Town and West Bay, not so reliable for the eastern districts. You and your kids might spend a lot of time waiting in the hot sun.

nyc
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation on Grand Cayman

I am staying at South Bay Beach Club, hopefully thinking that I can hire a private driver when needed maybe?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation on Grand Cayman

The Red Sail catamaran to Rum Point is a great idea; however, they do not pick up.....you would have to take a taxi to Safehaven dock, which is not a big deal.

IMO the taxis are not that expensive, plentiful, & safe. If you choose not to drive, then perhaps you stay on the west side of the island where you could take the bus to the Turtle Farm & Macabuca in West Bay as well as into George Town and Smith Cove beach. Some will disagree, but with 3 kids in tow, that might make for a much happier vacation. Restaurants, stores etc will be happy to call a taxi for you (as well as the Marriott right next door to SBBC). Enjoy!

Level Contributor
231 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation on Grand Cayman

Whenever I see NYC or Chicago, I think perhaps that you might be more accustomed to walking than us Midwesterners who almost live in our cars. How far are you comfortable walking? I was at SBBC a couple of months ago. You have a ton of "food" options within 2 miles either direction. These are not hard walks....decent sidewalks. Taking a taxi to the attractions would probably be your best idea.

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach