We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving in Grand Cayman, flight to Little Cayman the same day

Paris, France
4 posts
Save Topic
Diving in Grand Cayman, flight to Little Cayman the same day

Is it dangerous to dive in Grand Cayman in the morning and then take a flight to Little Cayman the same day in the afternoon?

I guess that the plane does not fly at a very high altitude during the flight from Grand Cayman to Little Cayman. So, it would be possible to dive and fly the same day.

Many thanks for your replies.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,435 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving in Grand Cayman, flight to Little Cayman the same day

I am not a diver and certainly not an expert, but my understanding is that it is NOT advisable to fly to/from one of the Sister Islands of the Brac or Little Cayman after diving on the same day.

I would also suggest you ask your diving related questions on ScubaBoard for the experts there to answer.

www.scubaboard.com/forums/cayman-islands/

GC
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
640 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving in Grand Cayman, flight to Little Cayman the same day

It is dangerous

New jersey
Level Contributor
470 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving in Grand Cayman, flight to Little Cayman the same day

Current PADI recommendation of minimum 12 hrs after a single dive or 18 hours after repetitive dives (24 hrs if possible) applies to all flights over 2000ft. So yes, it would be dangerous. Not worth ending up back in Georgetown in the chamber.

Paris, France
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving in Grand Cayman, flight to Little Cayman the same day

Many thanks for your replies.

Other question about diving and flying. Let's say that I will dive on Saturday and that I will fly on Sunday. Can I fly on Sunday morning or do I have to fly on Sunday afternoon?

Thanks very much.

Altitude 2010

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,331 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving in Grand Cayman, flight to Little Cayman the same day

The 12 hour rule is the rule that sticks. If you dive Saturday afternoon you would be done (unless you do your on thing) probably by 3 p.m. As long as your flight is after 3a.m. the next day you should be fine. I would suggest that you review all the basics like the fly rule at scuba cert body like padi.com or whoever you certified with. Answers from hapless strangers when it comes to important issues like diving and flying is not a good idea. If you go to the padi website and ask them a question a professional instructor will happily and quickly answer your questions. Happy diving.

6. Re: Diving in Grand Cayman, flight to Little Cayman the same day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2011, 06:16