We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern Cross Club or Paradise Villas at Christmas?

Gainesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
4 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Southern Cross Club or Paradise Villas at Christmas?

Hey guys,

My boyfriend and I are hoping to book a trip to LC for Christmas. I have some questions about lodging and thought this group may be of help. We are deciding between Southern Cross and Paradise Villas (LCBR is sold out). Our quotes for 7 nights, 2 dives/day were drastically different between the two places. From what I've read, the lodging and food are pretty good island-wide. The only real difference I see between the two places is that SCC provides 3 meals/day and PV does not.

I know there are devoted fans of each. My question is why would a traveler pay $1550 more per person to stay at SCC? Is there something I'm missing besides the meal plan that separates the two places? I certainly won't eat $1550 worth of food in a week. The rooms look fairly similar and both dive ops get rave reviews.

My boyfriend is still intrigued by SCC despite cost and I am leaning towards PV. Just hoping for some input on why one is better than the other. Specifically why is SCC SO MUCH BETTER than PV?

Dive-wise, I am OW with only a year experience & <20 dives and my boyfriend is AOW with 10 yrs. diving...if that makes any difference.

Thanks so much in advance!

Melissa

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,821 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southern Cross Club or Paradise Villas at Christmas?

There is not much activity on the Little Cayman forum so I will try to help a bit. I guess it depends on how important food is to you, how much you eat and how much you are willing to spend just for food. Paradise Villas each has a small kitchen which allows you to make some meals at home. Groceries are more expensive than in the US and are delivered by barge once a week, although I did not find the prices to be way out of line. The store is small but had anything we needed. The restaurant adjacent to Paradise Villas, the Hungry Iguana, offers meals at fairly reasonable prices when you don't want to eat in the villa. We ate a small breakfast or lunch at home and ate a very nice dinner there every night . We did not spend anywhere near $1550 for food for a week, but we are not 3 meal/day people. We did spend a lot for alcohol but you will find that anywhere on the islands.

I have not stayed at the Southern Cross Club so I can not offer comparisons, sorry, but it looks like a very nice place. I have also not stayed on Little Cayman during the Christmas season.

Hope this helps you with your choice.

Edited: 24 September 2012, 21:23
Gainesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
4 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southern Cross Club or Paradise Villas at Christmas?

Thanks so much! That helped a ton!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,821 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southern Cross Club or Paradise Villas at Christmas?

You can see the Hungry Iguana lunch and dinner menus on the Paradise Villas website to get an idea about meal costs. You just have to enlarge them about 100% to be able to read it.

Again, I can not compare but the bar and restaurant there were a lot of fun!

Gainesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
4 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southern Cross Club or Paradise Villas at Christmas?

It sounds pretty yummy! Would it be easy enough to bike to some of the other hotels for dinner if we wanted? I believe Pirate's Point is very close by.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,821 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southern Cross Club or Paradise Villas at Christmas?

The island is flat and easy to cycle, not sure of nightime lighting, though. We rented a car for the week from McLaughlin's.

On a side note, I found the mosquitos to be bothersome at dusk, for about half an hour, but not during other times of the day or night.

Edited: 25 September 2012, 00:05
Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,821 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southern Cross Club or Paradise Villas at Christmas?

Forgot to add that we did use the bicycles provided by Paradise Villas for some of our touring. There is also scooter rental on the island now that was not available when we visited.

7. Re: Southern Cross Club or Paradise Villas at Christmas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 13:15