We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation and does one need a car?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation and does one need a car?

Hello Forum,

Exploring the possibility of a visit.

Does one need a car?

Are cheap and frequent taxis the norm as in Mexico?

Many thanks!

Cayman Brac
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation and does one need a car?

It would be advisable to rent a car on the Brac - there is one taxi but they mainly run people to and from airport only. No form of public transport, so if you want to get around, you need a car. We are nothing at all like Mexico over here!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation and does one need a car?

Many thanks!

Philadelphia...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation and does one need a car?

Do you need to call the taxi ahead of time, or will it tend to be already at the airport when the planes come in? Thanks

Cayman Brac
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation and does one need a car?

Umm, the taxi is usually at the airport but whether that is because it is always booked and waiting for people or just hanging about I'm not sure - I've never actually used it as I live here! If you are staying at a hotel then they would arrange an airport pick up for you, if you are staying at a condo / rental house then you would need a rental car anyway I would imagine and can get one right by the airport, or the property manager for the rental would be meeting you. Will see if I can find out the taxi number and will post up here for you if that helps.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,090 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation and does one need a car?

When we stayed on Cayman Brac, the rental car agent met us at the airport and drove us to his office. We got the car and off we went. For our return, he asked us to just leave the car at the airport and he would pick it up later. It was very easy.

The caretaker met us at the house, showed us around and gave us the keys. I found it amusing that he asked whether or not we would want hot water before he turned on the water heater. : )

Cayman Brac
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation and does one need a car?

Maple's Taxi Phone Number +1 (345) 939-6676

London
Level Contributor
75 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation and does one need a car?

definitely need a car! We paid the taxi US$25 for the 2 minutes trip from the airport to Carib Sands - more than a taxi in Tokyo costs!! Best pre-book the car to pick up at the airport.

Cayman Brac
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation and does one need a car?

There is an airport shuttle/taxi service to the hotels. It can be included in your hotel reservation. If you are staying at a condo or house, you can pay the taxi/shuttle directly. Please note that there are only 2 taxis on the island.

I would recommend renting a vehicle.

Grand Cayman...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
640 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation and does one need a car?

For the car rental companies in Cayman Brac, see the listing in:

www.itsyourstoexplore.com/rentalCars.html

10. Re: Transportation and does one need a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 03:15
Get answers to your questions about Cayman Brac