We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cayman Breakers Condo

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Cayman Breakers Condo

Hi,

We are trying to decide on new accommodations since the Alexander hotel has closed. The reviews for the Cayman Breaker condos are several years old. Has anyone stayed there recently? We need to decide if we should cancel our reservation there and go with a vacation rental that is available instead.

Thank you,

Lori

13 replies to this topic
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,579 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cayman Breakers Condo

I will start by saying I have not been to the Brac and actually don't know anyone who has. Lots of friends who live in GC go to LC for weekends, dive fun, etc. However I do know that the Brac was in bad shape after Hurricane Paloma and any older reviews may have no bearing on present conditions. Here at least is a link to what the storm managed to do. I don't think rebuilding especially for tourism brought it back to what it was before. Good luck and please let us know how it all works out for you!

http://caymanrotary.wordpress.com/

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cayman Breakers Condo

This will be my 8th trip to Grand Cayman and my parents 21st. We love the island and diving. My parents have had great dive trips to Brac but have not been back in several years. We did decide to go with a vacation rental that has very recent reviews and information. We visited GC shortly after Ivan and saw all the destruction and heard many stories from our friends. We have been back and twice since then and were happily amazed at how much progress has been made in rebuilding.

I hope Brac has made great strides as well and look forward to visiting. I will post a report after regarding our accommodations. We will only be on BC a short time before our longer stay in GC and plan to spend as much as safely possible, diving.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,579 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cayman Breakers Condo

It will be so nice to get a report from experienced eyes and of course Happy Diving!!!

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,336 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cayman Breakers Condo

Paloma was 2008. I was on the Brac last November and things are fine.

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cayman Breakers Condo

I realized that I never posted after I returned from my trip. I'm in the final stages of planning for our next vacation to Cayman this summer and really looking forward to returning. We never made it to Breakers condos to take a look. The dive shops and restaurants were right by our condo and on the day we took a drive around the island, we were near there but didn't see a need to continue. For anyone that has stayed at Morritt's on Grand Cayman, and knows the daily drive back and forth to George town and West Bay....driving to the Breakers condo was feeling very similar. We decided to stay close to our condo and dive spots.

The Alexander hotel looked great (it closed a few weeks before we arrived due to a problem with standing water behind the hotel). I hope they work out a way to re-open it. It looked very nice, great location and it would be good to have another hotel option on the island. The suites would have worked well for our group this year and were reasonably priced.

It was sad to see some of the houses and buildings that were left from the hurricane that are not being rebuilt. I hope they level them at some point instead of continuing to leave the damaged buildings. Overall the island was clean and peaceful. We really had to make an effort to interact with others. It was a huge contrast to how busy and over built Grand Cayman has become. There are not a lot of restaurant choices and fresh produce is minimal to none but we knew that going. We will be there longer this year and plan to bring a few items from GC for our stay on Brac.

The diving was great! We made some shore dives on our own and a boat dive with Reef Divers. You can tell a huge difference between the islands. The reefs off Brac had every variety of fish in every size. A ton of baby fish and turtles that swam right along side us. We never saw another diver on our shore dives. Can't wait to return and go to more sites. The locals have marked the dive spots. I am hoping we can find one of the maps that provided more info on entry and depth for each one.

Cayman Airways was awesome and went above and beyond to take care of us when our flight was delayed causing us to miss our transfer flight to Brac on the first night. We were given vouchers at our departure destination while we waited for our flight to Grand Cayman and were told to go to the desk when we arrived. They would take care of everything. We finally arrived late at night and envelopes were waiting for us with transfers arranged to/from a hotel, hotel rooms for the night, and food vouchers. The hotel even had the restaurant stay open later so we could have dinner. They were our first choice this year due to the customer service experienced last year, even with the increased fare prices.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay on both islands. There is such a difference between the two, but I think in a good way. There's variety.

And I cannot forget to mention Elaine on Brac. She is the best, mobile spa. My mom enjoyed a facial and massage on the beach. She said it was the best she's had and can't wait for her next appointment.

Looking forward to another great trip!

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cayman Breakers Condo

where did you end up staying.....We stayed at the Brac Caribbean complex once and rented a house the other time we were there. we liked the house...but Brac Caribbean was closer to things and you could go in the water right in front of the complex. the house was on ironshore and there were lots of urchins so I didn't venture into the water.

Edited: 27 April 2015, 23:55
Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cayman Breakers Condo

Hi, We stayed at Brac Caribbean last time. The condo was okay. The owner was nice and very responsive. Since we arrived a day late she offered to let us stay an extra day but we could not. There were a few minor issues with the unit but nothing that prevented me from thinking about returning. The condo wasn't large enough for our group this year and it was disappointing that the pool is unusable. You have to walk to the units next door and use their pool. It's not far and wasn't a deal breaker for us. As you said the location was great. This year we are renting a house www.tropicalrunaway.com. It looks awesome, has a nice beach and we will be there during turtle nesting time and same general location. We considered others but this was the best option for our groups needs. A pool was a must for the non-divers. And this has sun-shades which many of the other pools do not. Did you find fresh fish while you were there? We hope to get a good contact as we buy from the local fisherman on Grand Cayman and make a lot of our own meals.

phoenix
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cayman Breakers Condo

We spent a day (flew in and out on the same day from GC) on the Brac in July 2015. Toured several condos and the local resort. Brac Caribbean was gorgeous, protected swimming, dive operation picks up at the pier, and the unit we saw, #13, was BEAUTIFUL, it had 3 beautiful balconies all with ocean views. Can't wait for our next trip--we'll be staying there for certain. Loved the quiet laid back Brac over the traffic and cruise ship crowds on GC. (Not that GC is bad, plenty of quiet spots around, but looking for a different experience next time.)

Beijing, China
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Cayman Breakers Condo

Thanks for your valuabe information. The increased fares of Cayman Airways, how much for this? Do the flight seat need to be booked online before or you just go there and buy the ticket. What about people in Brac? More natives or expats?

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cayman Breakers Condo

I think you would need to book in advance

Reply to: Cayman Breakers Condo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cayman Brac