We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cruise stop help appreciated

lancashire
Level Contributor
251 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
cruise stop help appreciated

hi everyone, my mum and dad are stopping here on a once in a lifetime cruise (my dads ill :( )

have a day here and want to know what they should see and hows the best and most cost effective way please????

All help appreciated.

thanks

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,104 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cruise stop help appreciated

Here's what we do when we make a stop on a new island:

We hire a taxi driver/guide for several hours or the entire day (depending on how big the island is). We ask for a "tour of the island" and engage the driver /guide in polite conversation so that way he/she gets an idea of the kind of things we like to see and can tailor the tour to us. We've always found this is a good way to "hit the high spots" since the driver/guide knows his way around the island. We move at our own pace spending as much or as little time as we want at each point of interest. We make it a point to stop a a local restaurant (usually recommended by the driver) for lunch. We find this is a good way to enjoy some local culture and we've always managed to dine on some very enjoyable meals that we wouldn't have otherwise found on our own. A great advantage to this type of tour over a group tour is you never have to wait for the "slowest person".

We have done this time and time again and have ALWAYS had enjoyable tours on every island we've visited. We've always found the cost to be fairly reasonable and competitive with the "major tour operators" on the island we are visiting.

Lastly, we've never had difficulty finding a driver/guide no matter where we stopped as there has always been plenty of taxis waiting at the dock. By and large we found the drivers to be some of the best "Ambassadors to the Islands" you could ever hope to meet. There will be plenty of taxis waiting as your parents leave the Port Zante shopping area or they can walk two blocks further to taxi stand "Piccadilly Circle" (the center of Basseterre) where there will be plenty more taxis.

Now, that said, if you don't want to do a private tour you can choose from one of several different "group tour" Operators that will be recruiting passengers in Port Zante as you disembark from the ship. Your parents can't miss them.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cruise stop help appreciated

I agree with CaribSurfer!

St.Kitts is such a beautiful, romantic and rejuvenating island and if you are not one of the Cruise Ship passengers who want to beat a path to a beach...then the island tour is perfect.

There is so much to see on this lovely island but also so much beauty and peace to absorb...the people are extraordinary...an island tour is the way to go.

Depending on what the want in a tour - they can get a general tour but they / you might be wise to get a list of places that would really suit their personalities and interests.

There is history, culture and breathtaking views that will stay in their hearts forever.

So maybe a bit more - what are their interests? Are they Art people, Food people, history, town country?

Because I love - the Fort, Caribelle Batik, Kate Spencers home / Studio, the town of Basseterre, the little towns on the way, the stunning views of surrounding islands, Golden Lemon for food and views, Ottleys for food, views and little Rainforest walk, I love the Rainforest hikes with waterfalls, Rawlins Plantation, Shipwreck for chill time and the drive there for stunning stunning....and Cockelshells for NEvis and peace and quiet...there is more so much more....I went to this lovely womans house....to see her Pottery - I can find the name of her for you if you are interested....lovely spot, drove up parked and viewed her pottery and chatted for a long time with her while she enjoyed her newborn baby....this is one of my many many wonderful unique memories of what it is to be IN St.Kitts...

I hope they get a piece of that for themselves!! It will restore much lost energy!

3. Re: cruise stop help appreciated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2011, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about St. Kitts and Nevis
More St. Kitts and Nevis Topics