We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gay friendly St. Kitts??

Brighton
Level Contributor
6 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Gay friendly St. Kitts??

My partner and I would like to vacation on St. Kitts, but I have read a lot of negative reports online regarding gay people on the island, although these were fairly old. Is it safe to go there? We have gone to Barbados in the past and had no problems. If anyone could provide me with any info, I would be eternally grateful.

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
5 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gay friendly St. Kitts??

Wondering the same. Cruise there in 02/14. Did you receive any info?

Brighton
Level Contributor
6 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gay friendly St. Kitts??

No not yet! Slightly frustrating with the prospect of spending 11 days there.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,503 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gay friendly St. Kitts??

steveboyz, I've been hoping one of the St. Kitts/Nevis residents would answer this question. I have no real answers, just anecdotal conversations with people who have commented on the conservatism of the culture regarding gay couples.

Quite some years ago now, Nevis didn't allow a ship catering to a gay cruise to land there. I've been to Nevis at least 4 times since then and, again anecdotally, have seen gay couples at our plantation inn and elsewhere.

Where are you thinking of staying? If you were staying on Nevis, i would say you would be fine (despite the earlier cruise ship episode), but I haven't stayed on St. Kitts in 10 years so cannot comment. I hope you get more up-to-date reports. We love Nevis and I can recommend it.

Brighton
Level Contributor
6 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gay friendly St. Kitts??

Ting, thank you for your reply. We are thinking about staying at the Timothy Beach resort. It seems quite a small resort so I am slightly concerned. I believe through researching the area that there is the strip which I would like as it would be an authentic kick back to island time which is what we are looking for in this vacation. If you have anymore advise I would be very grateful.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,503 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gay friendly St. Kitts??

Timothy Beach is a good basic hotel in a nice location. There are many nearby beach bars that serve tourists, locals and students from Ross and the medical school. I like the beach at South Friar's beach better during the day. There are also a few good beach bars at Cockleshell.

Do you think you would rent a car? There are always a lot of taxis around but I like having a car and being able to come and go as I want.

If you go, do take a day trip over to Nevis and get a driver to give you a round the island tour. It's a smaller quieter island.

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
624 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gay friendly St. Kitts??

I am looking at Nevis for this winter. I have very little info other than the story on the cruise ship debacle. I even Faxed a letter to the Prime Minster personally asking if it is safe for gay folks to visit and if we are welcome. I never received a reply (kinda sh#$ty for a tourist dependent nation--even Col Kadaffi would have responded to a letter in his heyday). My guess is that this island is similar to the rest of the British Carib, (Jamaica excluded), that it is welcoming at resorts frequented by Europeans and North Americans, but out in town and about the public beaches, discretion would be advised. I'd appreciate someone posting a trip report on the Gay Travel Forum when they return. thanks.

Brighton
Level Contributor
6 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gay friendly St. Kitts??

May I thank all the people who replied to my original forum post. I have the following to close this question, and hopefully inform others on our vacation to St. Kitts.

JUST GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the most wonderful time in St. Kitts. Having spent 11 days there I encountered absolutely no issues. The people of this wonderful piece of paradise are among some of the most welcoming, warm, friendly people I have met anywhere in the world. Yes, we requested a twin room at the hotel, but do this as a matter of course when we travel to the Middle East or North African countries. Eating out, going around and generally doing what you do on holiday attracted no comment, look or issue. I really enjoyed my vacation and urge anyone who has concerns to go and see for yourself. Feel free to contact me about anything, and I will try my best to answer.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,503 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gay friendly St. Kitts??

I'm happy you enjoyed your trip. Thanks so much for reporting back. It's such a beautiful island, isn't it?

Brighton
Level Contributor
6 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gay friendly St. Kitts??

Yes Ting, it is a truly beautiful place. Really enjoyed our vacation there, and would go back in a heart beat. Thank you for your advise on the forum.

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gay friendly St. Kitts??

I realize this is late, but we have now been to St. Kitts twice and enjoyed our time there. I have not heard any negative comments about treatment of gays on St. Kitts. Perhaps you could inform me. We have visited many islands in the Caribbean as well as other destinations.

Get answers to your questions about St. Kitts and Nevis
More St. Kitts and Nevis Topics