We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For those who have experienced both Kitts and Nevis.

Highland,MI
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Topic
For those who have experienced both Kitts and Nevis.

Which island do you prefer to stay on and why?

My husband and I will have 7 days(minus 2 for travel time)in mid-March and need to make a decision real soon. I have been to the various recommended websites already and still can't decide so I am enlisting the help of all you experienced travelers. It is great to get the opinions of people that have actually been there. We enjoy snorkeling off shore, hiking, great beaches, great weather and self touring the islands. Whichever island we would choose, we definately would do a day trip to the other. Thanks for your responses.

UK
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: For those who have experienced both Kitts and Nevis.

Hi

we've visited st kitts a number of times, stayed there and done day trips to Nevis. Both islands are lovely, but there's more to do on St Kitts,

In fact we liked St Kitts so much we bought a bit of it and are just finishing building a house on Turtle Beach!

hope this helps

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
356 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For those who have experienced both Kitts and Nevis.

Luvmx,

I've stayed on both St. Kitts and Nevis and day-tripped from one to the other. Based on my personal experience, I prefer to stay on Nevis and day-trip to St. Kitts.

Ultimately, your decision rests on what type of vacation you are seeking. If you like a more lively beach scene with lots of cruise passengers by day and Ross University students by night, then St. Kitts may be for you.

If you enjoy a more "laid-back" and quiet type of vibe, then choose Nevis. This may sound a bit crazy, but to me, Nevis has more of an "old caribbean feel" and has not yet been overdeveloped to attract more tourists (although it is certainly on the way). I also like the fact that on any given day, you can "belly up" to the bar at any of the beach establishments and strike up a conversation with a local and learn lots about "wha gwaan."

While I did enjoy my stay in St. Kitts, I found that the beach scene at the most popular beach (S. Frigate Bay) was just a bit much for me in the evening. Ziggy's is "the place" for the students that attend Ross University. I understand students want to "cut loose" after a hard day or week of studying, but I was definitely not into the public drunkeness and loudness that I witnessed. Although in St. Kitts' defense, I will say that in three trips, this was the first time that I witnessed such behavior from the students. I've never seen this on any Nevis beach, and they have a medical student population on island as well.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
856 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For those who have experienced both Kitts and Nevis.

In fairness to St. Kitts, there is still plenty of "quiet" to be found there too! Cruise ships are not in port every day, and the "beach bar" rowdy scene is pretty much a more recent phenomenon and really centred around one general area of South Frigate Bay. There is a bit more to do in St. Kitts ... probably, the ideal holiday would be to spend a few nights on each island!

Basseterre, St...
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For those who have experienced both Kitts and Nevis.

Both are beautiful, unspoilt islands. I am been going to St. Kitts since I was a child (family from there) and have done many day trips to Nevis. Last year I spent the night in Nevis.

Why choose one island over the island. Spend a few days on both. :)

In St. Kitts you can snorkel at South Frigate Bay, Cockleshell or Shitten Bay. You can hike the rainforest or volcano, visit the many beautiful beaches (Cockleshell being my favourite), and tour the island stopping at Brimstone Hill Fortress, Romney Manor and Ottley's or Rawlins Plantation.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
6 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For those who have experienced both Kitts and Nevis.

I agree that both islands are relatively unspoiled in terms of overdeveloped tourism -- which is a HUGE plus for me. After two trips to Aruba with a 10 year span between, I doubt I'll ever return -- It's just South Beach now. I love South Beach but I don't need to go to Aruba to get it.

St Kitts and Nevis on the other hand are still very quaint and personable. The only major hotel I'm aware of on Nevis is the Four Seasons. Need I say more?? There are some smaller, inn type places but because I travel solo, I wasn't interested. So in short, I preferred staying on St Kitts and doing the daytrip to Nevis. Also the ferries run at various times so you're not 'stuck' all day unless you want to be. I also had the pleasure of both Islands' Director of Tourism as my 'host' to tour Nevis. BEAUTIFUL unspoiled countryside. St Kitts however, and the Marriott had everything I wanted.

MI
Level Contributor
126 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For those who have experienced both Kitts and Nevis.

Thanks for all your input. It is very helpful. We went to St John last year and found it to be quiet and beautiful, but I think we are looking for a little more action so we will try St Kitts, but definitely go over to Nevis also. I just got the last 1 BR suite at the Marriott reserved! Now, I just have to count down the days!

7. Re: For those who have experienced both Kitts and Nevis.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 00:18
Get answers to your questions about St. Kitts