We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Kitts vs. Virgin Islands

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
349 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
St. Kitts vs. Virgin Islands

We are considering our first trip to St. Kitts. We have traveled to St. Thomas/St. John a few times, and have also visited Grand Cayman, Antigua, Aruba, and the Bahamas. We returned to the Virgin Islands because we enjoy that area so much. However, once again, we've decided it's time to explore somewhere new. Can anyone share their thoughts on comparing the VI to St. Kitts? I am afraid of being disappointed, although I am anxious to try something new. Thanks.

Dayton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Dayton
Level Contributor
430 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Kitts vs. Virgin Islands

St Kitts is more laid back,less touristy than VI. I loved St Kitts because of that. It depends on what you like on your vacation. The beaches on St Kitts are not pretty white powder, but they have a lot of character. If you absolutely have to have the beautiful beaches in lieu of great people,food, and scenery then St Kitts would not be for you.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,062 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Kitts vs. Virgin Islands

If you tell us what you liked about the Virgin Islands and the others islands you visited and you told us what you are seeking in an island vacation we could then let you know if St. Kitts is a place you should consider.

All one can tell you is that St. Kitts is not necessarilly better or worse than the other islands on your list, it just different. And for some - "Viva La Difference".

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
349 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Kitts vs. Virgin Islands

Thanks for the response. What I liked and disliked about each island...Here goes.

Grand Cayman - the clarity of the water was amazing, and I loved how clean the island was. What I disliked was the lack of mountains/hills/green landscape, and the feeling that I was "away from it all." Stay 13 days, haven't returned.

Antigua - loved all the different beaches and how easy it was to find a beach all to yourself. Also, it was different from "home," and I liked that. It had a character all of its own. What I disliked was the extensive poverty, very disturbing to me. Stayed 11 days, haven't returned.

Aruba - I didn't particulary care for because, in my opinion, it was too commercialized, and this was 1986. I don't want to visit Myrtle Beach, SC, in the Caribbean. Stayed 11 days, haven't returned.

Maui - Beautiful, but I missed the blue Caribbean clear water, and it was like being "home," once again. Stayed 2 weeks, haven't returned. Didn't feel it was worth the travel time/expense from NY either.

Bahamas - didn't care for at all. Just visited on a cruise, which I won't do again either. No more cruises in my future, like cattle exiting the boat.

Which brings me St. Thomas - I just love. Why? I love driving the crazy roads, I love talking to the people who I have found to be genuinely kind, I love the views around every corner, the greenery and hills, and the islands off shore in every vista. I love our Marriott timeshare property there and the hotel facilities next door. I love the way the cruise ships going into the harbor pass right past the property so close you feel like you can touch them. I love the lights of Charlotte Amalia from my window. The view is unmatched by anything I have every had the pleasure of experiencing. St. John was also everything I love in a vacation. Getting up at 6 a.m. and taking the ferry to Trunk Bay and having the beach to yourself truly is paradise. I love that there are so many islands, so close and accessible by boat, ferry, etc., that you can visit many different islands in one vacation. This is the only vacation we have ever repeated, and made our fourth trip this year, for a total of about 6 weeks vacation time.

So, I am trying to decide if I can give this up, so I can experience something new again. My brother-in-law lives and works on St. Kitts, and so we thought we would use our timeshare at the Marriott, and combine it with a week or ten days at his home, so to easily extend our vacation.

What is important to me? Beautiful beaches; calm, clear, warm water; good snorkeling; good drinks; friendly people; sunshine; a good book; and a great place to explore where you don't know what you will find around the next corner. Not a shopper at all. Couldn't care less.

How's that for an explanation?? Thanks!

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
349 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Kitts vs. Virgin Islands

Oops, one more thing. Yes, I know I would miss the beautiful soft white sand of the VI, but if it offered many of the other things I love, then it would be worth the trip...

Dayton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Dayton
Level Contributor
430 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Kitts vs. Virgin Islands

You would definitely have great scenery on St Kitts. Water is OK for snorkeling but not like Cayman. No shopping in St Kitts so you are OK there. As far as the people, St Kitts was awesome. Plenty of beaches and none too crowded when we were there. Cockleshell Beach with the Reggae Beach Bar has plenty of character, great people and good food. I could spend a week there. I think you should try St Kitts, I think you would like it. My husband and I are looking at buying a condo there possibly when we retire because we loved it so much. Let us know what you choose. If you stay at the Marriott-make sure and get out or you will miss the island. It's my favorite place I have ever been

PA
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Kitts vs. Virgin Islands

Go to see St. Kitts. Hire a guide for one day to get the lay of the land, then explore on your own. It's a great place.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
349 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Kitts vs. Virgin Islands

Okay, we will give it a try. We will rent a car for the duration; we're not lay by the pool types, well, we are, but only after we've spent most of the day exploring. And, it will be fun, as my brother-in-law has lived there for a few years now. He is originally from Long Island and works at Ross U. He's made many friends of the locals, and so it will be a cool experience for us to visit while he is still there working.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
856 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Kitts vs. Virgin Islands

I don't think you will be disappointed. Definitely rent a car and try the "crazy roads" on St. Kitts. Take the Sea Bridge to Nevis and spend some time there. I am sure your brother-in-law will introduce you to all the interesting spots. Make sure you make it down to Cockleshell Beach to visit Lion's, Reggae Beach Bar and Spice Mill ... but I am partial to Lion's as it is the most relaxed and down-to-earth of the three. Definitely have one meal at Spice Mill. Spend some time at Shipwreck on S. Friars - the beach there is terrific and you will meet a nice mix of visitors, locals and ex-pats at this beach bar. Have dinner one night at Sprat Net in Old Road.

Spend a Thursday and/or Friday at Shiggidy Shack on the Frigate Bay "strip" for terrific lobster and great entertainment. Eat a deliciously authentic local meal at Cathy's right on the beach. Go into Basseterre and have breakfast or lunch at Circus Grill or Ballahoo and watch the world go by below your "window seat." Have lunch or dinner at Stone Walls - a "courtyard oasis" in the middle of town. I could go on, but as I have not been to the VI's I can't do a true comparison. Based on what you said you like about the VI's I think you will love St. Kitts. If anything, it is probably a bit "sleepier." Fewer accomodation options, but then, you have that covered - so no worries!!

If you haven't already, do check out the following forum, as you will find many repeat visitors, as well as a few residents and ex-pats there. Who knows, maybe even folks who know your bro-in-law! -- http://myislands.myeyez.net

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
349 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Kitts vs. Virgin Islands

Thanks for the info. I will print it and keep it with my "to visit" stuff.

10. Re: St. Kitts vs. Virgin Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2010, 06:33
Get answers to your questions about St. Kitts
Recent Conversations