We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day at the beach on St. Kitts

monroeville, PA
Level Contributor
302 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
One day at the beach on St. Kitts

I am on a cruise and will stop at St. Kitts for a day. There are 8 of us who love the beach. We are there from 9-4. We are deciding between a Marriott Resort Day pass or Cockelshell Beach on our own. Which beach would you recommend?

I am thinking Cockelshell is on the Caribbean and the Marriott is on the Atlantic. Should I assume the Caribbean side is the nicer beach?

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,939 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day at the beach on St. Kitts

You are contemplating two somewhat different experiences so there's no right or wrong answer - it really depends on what those in your group are seeking. Spending the day at the Marriott would be like staying on any resort property. yes, their beach is on the Atlantic side and while nice it certainly is not the best beach on the island. You will, however, have all the comfort and convenience of a resort property.

Cockleshell is a somewhat nicer beach where you'll have access to three different beach bar/restaurants (Spice Mill, Lion's and Raggae Beach Bar) small rental sailboats and Hobie Cats. The water is normally calmer and you get wonderful views of neighboring Nevis. Note, on cruise ship days this beach will get its fair share of tourists but there's plenty of room for everyone.

The choice is yours.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day at the beach on St. Kitts

I agree with Caribsurfer....very different options...personally I would choose Cockelshells as it is the real deal in terms of being a St.Kitts beach - with Kittitian restaurant / bars on it...the views of Nevis are stunning! This is not however, an Anguilla beach....long stretch of white sand on flat island - it will be darker sand and the experience will be non resort like Marriott.

I might also suggest you consider Friars??? I am painfully partial to Shipwreck and have spent entire days on this beach lounging at Shipwreck happily. The beach is different than Cockelshells...it is long but when I was there last it was more narrow (may have changed) and it has an endless sea view rather than the breathtaking view of Nevis...but there is something so special to me about Shipwreck...and South Friars as well as Cockelshell...I guess technically - you can't go wrong!!!! Well maybe if you go to Marriott IMO you might be going a bit off....sorry Marriott fans.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day at the beach on St. Kitts

You can't go wrong with any of the suggestions made in the other posts.

As an alternate choice you could combine the Atlantic and Caribbean experience by taking a cab to the Marriott and swimming in the Atlantic for a while. After that you can walk 15 minutes to Frigate Bay/Timothy Beach and spend the afternoon there enjoying the Cartibbean. Not many places where you can do that and see some different styles of beach experiences in 15 minutes. At Frigate Bay/Timothy Beach you can enjoy a casual lunch from one of the many beach bar type restaurants. The Marriott is very "corporate" and Timothy Beach is very casual. It is a nice contrast of styles.

monroeville, PA
Level Contributor
302 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day at the beach on St. Kitts

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions and opinions. We haven't made any decisions as of yet, as there are 8 of us. Wondering how hard the walk is from the Marriott to Frigate beach. We are in our 50's.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day at the beach on St. Kitts

The walk is easy. It is completely flat, no hills. There is some sidewalk near the Marriott and then grass along the side of the road and the Marriott Golf course to walk on.

I am 53 and my wife is 51. We made the walk several times and some mornings I ran from the Marriott to the Frigate Bay beach the whole loop is probably 3 miles round trip.

If you don't want to walk cabs are easy to get at the Marriott and you can get to Frigate Bay for less than a $10 cab ride.

monroeville, PA
Level Contributor
302 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day at the beach on St. Kitts

I am assuming once at Frigate Bay you would have to purchase chairs again or if you eat lunch at a restaurant do they provide free chairs?

If we stayed at the Marriott in the morning and then went to Frigate Bay in the afternoon would we be able to catch a cab back to the port? Are we closer or further to the port when at Frigate Bay??

st. kitts
Level Contributor
288 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: One day at the beach on St. Kitts

Yes, you have to purchase chairs on Frigate Bay Beach.

You will find lots of taxis that will take you back to Port Zante. Frigate Bay is a ten minute walk from The Marriott.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day at the beach on St. Kitts

Sorry I don't know about the chair purchase policy at Frigate Bay.

As for being closer to the Port, you are slightly closer at Frigate Bay, maybe one to one and a half miles.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day at the beach on St. Kitts

The walk from Atlantic to Caribbean is lovely either on the road....or you can trek down the Atlantic and come up to the road to get across to Caribbean. I wonder if you eat at Ziggy's or my favorite - Mr. X's if you can use beach chairs...hopefully someone will share details...all such a wonderul time!

st. kitts
Level Contributor
288 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: One day at the beach on St. Kitts

Not sure about Ziggy's, but you have to purchase chairs and umbrellas at Mr. X's.

Edited: 27 September 2010, 16:44