We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car advice for St. Kitts and Nevis

Schaumburg, IL
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car advice for St. Kitts and Nevis

We will be traveling to St. Kitts in November and I would like advice on a rental car agency. I have heard that if you plan to travel to Nevis for the day (which we will), some of the rental agencies have exchange privileges for a car in Nevis. I would appreciate any advice on that. Thank you!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car advice for St. Kitts and Nevis

We have visited St.Kitts on two occasions for a two week period each. We use Bullseye and have been very pleased with them....if we get the good fortune of returning in the future we will use Bullseye again - contact Winston and they will arrange what you need and yes they have the exchange privileges you speak of on Nevis and they are a great great plus!!

Belleair Beach...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car advice for St. Kitts and Nevis

We rented a car from the Hertz desk at Marriott and were gouged by them claiming we put a mark on the bumper....which was not true. The car was 3 years old and had damage all over, then they demanded cash of $200. and then came down to $75. to "do me a favor". It was a total hoax. They would not take AX credit cards and upon my return to the US and comments to Hertz...they were supposed to. Car rental is pricey, rental companies will charge you $25. additional for 90 day drivers license and if you don't take out their insurance, they will try to charge you for something.

The roads were not in very good repair in parts of the island...possibly due to a recent storm but be careful of man-eating holes in the road. If you are a first time visitor, take Greys Island Excursions regardless...well worth the money and to see the island. If you are going to eat at Spice Mill or Beach House, a rental is a good idea as this is a long taxi ride but a great day trip for lunch. Taxis are more than plentiful and drivers are very friendly. There are also great restaurants nearby to Marriott...Marshalls..a new French Restaurant was very good. Serendipity in town has a spectacular view. On our recent visit, the Marriott restaurants had improved a lot also and all were good. I hope you enjoy the island as much as we do.

Edited: 07 October 2010, 04:25
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car advice for St. Kitts and Nevis

Ohh that is a dreadful story and I am sorry for that posters negative experience!! That was not at all our experience with Bullseye...yes the roads are tough on the cars so do not expect American worthy...in terms of perfect repair...but at Bullseye we had a sense that this was a trusted local business and that Winston who I believe owns the place gives a personal care.....I wish you the best in your travels!!

Belleair Beach...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car advice for St. Kitts and Nevis

Thanks for the information. It seems that Hertz feels they are "bullet proof" but I would much rather target my money on a "Bullseye" and I will remember that information....we are returning in December again. Goodbye Hertz and hello Bullseye!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car advice for St. Kitts and Nevis

Wonderful!! I think you will have a much better and smoother experience!! I am glad to hear you are going back in December too - what a JOY!! Will you be staying at Marriott again? St.Kitts is a wonderful island dand I found that Winston from Bullseye and the full staff compliment were great representation of the people of the island!!

Best Wishes!

St. Kitts
Level Contributor
407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car advice for St. Kitts and Nevis

I agree, stay away from Hertz. Avis is another option. They are great, give wonderful service and are reasonably priced. Check with your credit card company about insurance. I don't get the insurance from Avis as my credit card takes care of it if I charge the rental to it. Before you drive out of the lot, they go over every mark on the car and document it on paper. No worries about being charged for dents you didn't do. They also offer an exchange with the Avis company on Nevis. You can get the St. Kitts drivers licence when you get the car. That is an island requirement and ALL car renttal companies make sure you have the island licence.

Belleair Beach...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car advice for St. Kitts and Nevis

We own 2 weeks of a 3/3 right on the beach...so, we are usually there twice a year at the timeshare and then we usually stop a couple times per year on cruises. We have gotten to know several of the locals and they are generally just a very nice group of people and very warm to the guests. If we cannot go, we will be leasing out the 3/3 from 12/11-12/18 and are only looking for our maintenance/tax fees, no profits...just hate to leave it vacant if we can't go.

Belleair Beach...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Car advice for St. Kitts and Nevis

The original problem I had with Hertz was that they wouldn't accept AX, which has extra insurance coverage on the particular card I have. But, I got an email from Hertz USA and they said that AX should have been accepted. We all know the rates on AX are slightly higher and I am pretty sure that is why they said they would not take it...ethics, again. Their loss of business would have easily covered the the slightly higher rates...they need to be honest. Hertz does in fact walk around the vehicle and check dents etc., however, what they were trying to charge me for looked like a scuff mark from a shoe on a plastic bumper..no dent or anything....just a scam.

9. Re: Rental Car advice for St. Kitts and Nevis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2011, 06:16