We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Friars taxi availability

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
804 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
South Friars taxi availability

Hi there,

We'll be stopping in St Kitts on a cruise ship in January and have decided to spend the day in South Friars. Looking forward to this awesome beach.

Question 1: Do we need to arrange for our taxi to pick us up for the return trip or will there be cabs available that we can take? I'm thinking we'll need to arrange, but just checking.

Question 2: How much should we expect to pay for the trip per person each way?

Question 3: Since this is my first cruise and first time on a number of these islands, I was thinking about having the cab driver take "the long way" and perhaps just give us a 30 minute drive around some of the scenic places on the island on the way to/from the beach. Is this a good idea and/or worth it and/or enough time? If yes - how much do you think I should pay?

Thanks to everyone for thier advice!

-Sand Dreamin' Dragon

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,150 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Friars taxi availability

Answers:

1) While occasionally you may find a taxi waiting around at South Friars you can't always count on finding one WHEN YOU ARE READY so it's always wise to ask the driver who takes you there to come back for you at a pre-arranged time.

2) The taxi fare (which are set by law) from the cruise ship dock to South Friars used to be $16US each way but the drivers have just recently been granted a rate increase so I don't know the new pricing. It's probably now close to $20 each way.

3) You certainly can ask the driver to show you some sites and major points of interest before dropping you off at the beach but you should be aware that all of the points of interest are in the complete opposite direction from South Friars Beach and nothing interesting is close by so to use your phrase "taking the long way" will be just that, a very "long way". To see anything meaningful (like the Fortress at Brimstone Hill, the Batik Factory & Gardens at Romney Manor, the Petroglyphs, the Black Rocks Lava Flow, etc.) will mean anywhere from 1 to 3 hours of "tour driving" - expect to pay around $30 to $35/hour (with a minimum of 3 hours) for such a driving tour. Normally they charge $20/person (minimum of 4 people) for a 3 hour tour. FYI - You will pass near the Marriott Resort and one Scenic Overlook if you go directly from the Cruise Ship Dock to South friars Beach.

Hope this helps!

Basseterre, St...
Level Contributor
205 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Friars taxi availability

Yes, you should arrange for your driver to come back for you at a designated time.

The price depends on how many people in your party. If there are 4 or more persons the rate is $10 USD per person round trip.

Taxi drivers will often join you with other passengers.

If you want to see some of the sites you should do a Panoramic and Beach Excursion. You will see historical Basseterre, Romney Manor/Caribelle Batik and Timothy Beach prior to going to the beach.

The price for 4 or more is $35 USD per person.

Edited: 25 December 2011, 01:51
Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
804 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Friars taxi availability

Thanks for all the great info. I guess we'll just be happy with the beach! :-)

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Friars taxi availability

spiceSt_kitts, if we got off our ship and just asked any taxi to give us a panoramic & beach excursion "tour", & then take us to Friar's Beach and return for us later, do you think we can really COUNT on the driver to come back at a preset time? We had a bad experience doing this in Aruba last yr. and we weren't the only ones judging by the other people we met scrounging for a ride for a similar reason. Luckily, a sympathetic small tour bus driver allowed us to ride back to the ship in his bus. Can we count on the drivers? In some places we have been able just to pay a driver half the fare until after he returns for us. What is the custom w/re: to doing that in St. Kitts?

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,150 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Friars taxi availability

Yes, you can count on the driver to come back and get you. They are all very reliable and do it all the time - day in and day out. We send house guests to St. Kitts often and gave them the same advice. In 10 years we never had a problem.

St. Kitts is NOT Aruba!

Edited: 20 January 2012, 13:16
Palm Harbor, Florida
Level Contributor
934 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Friars taxi availability

My lady and I just got back home from a Celebrity cruise at St Kitts.

LOVED this island !!!!!

We took a cab out to the South Friars beach and the cost was $16. Made arrangements for pick up to go back with our fantastic driver, Neville. Made some side detours to see more of the island for additional $ that we were happy paying.

Hung out at the Shipwreck Beach Bar & Grill. Fanatstic!!!!!!

This is one beautiful island.

7. Re: South Friars taxi availability

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about St. Kitts