We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
414 posts
269 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

What is the standard tipping practice in bars and restaurants?

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,455 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

In most instances a 10% Service Charge will be automatically added to the bill. If it is, it will be clearly shown on the bill. If you wish to add extra, feel free to do so. Occasionally you'll find a place that does not add the Service charge - in that case the tip is at your discretion - tip like you do back in Garden City.

For what it is worth, I usually add an additional 5% at casual restaurants/bars when I get better than average service (which I usually get at places I frequent) and 10% at the upscale dining places.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
414 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

Thanks. I also tend to tip well, but I have read of some places where there is no tipping (I know, hard to believe). That's why I like to check out the tipping standard of places I visit.

St. Kitts
Level Contributor
408 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

All servers and bartenders will be very happy to accept tips. The service charge is always shared among all employees and your individual server does not get the 10% that is on your bill. So be generous if you had good service. It will be greatly appreciated.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
414 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

Good to know that the service charge is split. So tipping the server is a must. :-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
861 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

Shiggidygirl hits the nail on the head. Though not a "must", since the mandatory 10% charge on the guest check/bill is divided among stat, any additional tip left for the server is always acknowledged and greatly appreciated. I am person of limited means, but always try to budget extra in order to ensure I have tipped sufficiently to recognize servers in general, and stellar service in particular. Also, some establishments do not add the 10% service charge to the bill, so adjust your gratuity accordingly. And do not be too shy to ask, if there is something about the bill that you do not understand.

6. Re: Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2014, 04:16