We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Logistics advise, please - getting groceries for the condo?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
463 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Logistics advise, please - getting groceries for the condo?

We arrive mid-afternoon on a Friday for a week-long stay at the Marriott.

I'm thinking getting groceries on the way from the airport to the resort would be risky - what if we can't check in yet, but have perishables?

How easy will it be to go to/from the IGA via taxi the next morning - should we ask our driver to wait, or can get easily get one for the return trip at the store?

And is the IGA the best choice for general groceries (milk, juice, coffee, snacks)?

Thanks!

~TXTravler

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,155 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Logistics advise, please - getting groceries for the condo?

First - you can easily stop at the IGA to do a little shopping on the way to the Marriott and as long as you don't purchase things like ice cream you'll be checked in to your room long before there would be any concern about "perishables". If you choose this option, simply as your taxi driver to make the stop at the IGA on your way to the hotel (FYI - the IGA is only a couple of blocks "out of the way" from the normal route from the airport to the hotel). Ask the driver if his waiting time is covered in his fee (normal fee from airport to the Marriott is $16US for between 1-4 people or $4US pp if you have 5 or more in your party), if he did not add waiting time be nice give him an extra tip.

Or, you can go by taxi the following morning - the driver will wait while you shop and take you back to the Marriott (it's about a 7 to 10 minute trip each way). Either of the above options will work out just fine.

IGA is the closest "supermarket" to the Marriott and has a decent selection of products. Other choices are Rams in downtown Basseterre or Best Buy on the outskirts of Basseterre on the way toward Ross University (furthest away from the Marriott). It's difficult to advise which store is "best" since the selections vary and for those of us who live on the islands we often have to go to all three to find everything we want. In all probability you'll do just fine at IGA.

2. Re: Logistics advise, please - getting groceries for the condo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2013, 15:19
Utah
Level Contributor
11 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Logistics advise, please - getting groceries for the condo?

CaribSurfer....I just wanted to drop a line and tell you how much I have appreciated your helpful guidance. I am staying at the Marriott as I type this, and I have been reading up on your posts for several weeks in anticipation for my arrival here. I seemed so prepared by having the information in your replies, that I almost felt like being home....thank you, thank you.....just a quick remark for the person asking about groceries...I would like to add that the small Ram grocery store is only a few blocks away, if you are just wanting a few items. We brought out own coffee, creamer, seasonings,etc. with us. We picked up some eggs, bacon, bread and some other food items that have lasted almost the week, and it only came to $44 US. There is a duty free shop in the Marriott if you are looking for cocktail fixings. They are priced better than in the US. The locally made rum Shipwreck is $9 and the local beers Carib, Skol, Stag are two bucks and always cold.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,155 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Logistics advise, please - getting groceries for the condo?

Great! Enjoy your stay.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
463 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Logistics advise, please - getting groceries for the condo?

Thanks, everyone, for your responses! I'm a chronic over-planner, so having info ahead of time helps with my anxiety! ;->

6. Re: Logistics advise, please - getting groceries for the condo?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2013, 15:19
Fairhope, Alabama
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Logistics advise, please - getting groceries for the condo?

MrTerry is right about the Rams store and CaribSurfer, very helpful. Unless you're going "big" grocery shopping, you'll probably be fine at Rams, and it is very convenient to the Marriott. Smoke and Booze is next door and has much lower than US pricing on those products if you're interested.

Utah
Level Contributor
11 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Logistics advise, please - getting groceries for the condo?

Mike from Alabama...thanks for the thumbs up. One thing I wanted to add, there is a duty free store IN the Marriott itself... They have unbelievably low prices on most of their booze...eg Gray Goose for like 12 bucks, cold local beer singles out of the cooler for 2.....say Hi to one of the clerks Terry...tell him Terry says Hi...enjoy

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
308 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Logistics advise, please - getting groceries for the condo?

Another option is to order on line. Very professional and reliable company.

http://www.caribbeangroceryshopping.com

10. Re: Logistics advise, please - getting groceries for the condo?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 10 May 2014, 07:17