We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise stop in January - best way to spend day

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Cruise stop in January - best way to spend day

We are spending a full day in port and would appreciate advice on the best way to spend the day. I don't want to book anything through the cruise line. I will be with my 19 & 21 year old kids. Should we rent a car or use taxi? Best beaches or places to visit? We're only interested in minimal shopping, so would prefer to spend the day exploring the island. Thanks!

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,058 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise stop in January - best way to spend day

You kids might enjoy zip lining - www.skysafaristkitts.com - have a taxi take you there in the morning then take the taxi to either Frigate Bay, South Friars or Cockleshell beach for lunch at one of the many beach bars and an afternoon of swimming and watersports.

Or skip the zip lining and have the taxi driver give you a tour of the major points of interest around the island (don't miss the Fortress at Brimstone Hill) in the morning and then drop you at one of the beaches mentioned above for lunch and afternoon swim, etc.

FYI - there will be plenty of taxis waiting at the cruise ship dock.

Hint - use the "Things to do" link at the top of this page for other ideas.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
308 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise stop in January - best way to spend day

I believe the zipline has to be booked through your shore excursion desk. I highly recommend an island tour or a catamaran to Nevis.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise stop in January - best way to spend day

Thank you!

Washington DC
Level Contributor
344 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise stop in January - best way to spend day

anyone have any idea what it would cost for a taxi to take us to the main sites, drop us off at a beach and return us to the ship.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,058 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise stop in January - best way to spend day

It depends on how long the "tour portion" of your trip takes and which beach you want to be dropped off at. Go here for a look at taxi fares around the island:

discover-stkitts-nevis-beaches.com/st-kitts-…

Scroll down on the chart and pick the "tour length" that interests you - for example a 2.5 hour tour will cost you $60US for up to 4 people. Use the Fare Chart from Basseterre to figure cost of taxi to/from the beach you choose - Frigate Bay, South Friars and Cockleshell are the ones with the best facilities for day-trippers.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
344 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise stop in January - best way to spend day

So would we do the $60 half island tour for $60 and then take the $22 taxi to Cockleshell Bay/Majors Bay.

I presume that doesnt include entrance fees?. Also is it easy to find another $22 taxi back to port?

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,058 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise stop in January - best way to spend day

Normally, that would be right - $60 for the 2.5 hour tour and then extra to take you to the beach.

I'm guessing that if you told the taxi driver you wanted to end your tour at Cockleshell he'll cut you some break on the fare to the beach. It's a 25 minute or so drive from Basseterre where your tour would normally begin and end so he probably wouldn't do the run to Cockleshell "for free". You see, all the major points of interest on the 2.5 hour tour are on the northern part of the island - Cockleshell is at the far end of the southern peninsula so you'll have to pay something extra to go there.

By the one-way the fare between Basseterre (where your ship will dock) and Cockleshell is $28US, not $22 (that $22US fare is between the Frigate Bay area and Cockleshell).

Tell the driver what time you want to be picked up to go back to the ship and he'll be there at the appointed time. You can't always depend on finding a taxi at Cockleshell just waiting around for a fare. Again, if you make arrangements with the driver ahead of time for the return trip he'll probably give you some break on the fare. If you want to save on "beach transfers" go to Frigate Bay - it's the closest to the cruise port - the driver will probably drop you there at the end of your tour for little or no extra charge.

There's a $10EC (about $3.70US) per person entrance fee for the Fortress at Brimstone Hill - it IS NOT included in the cost of the taxi tour. Everything else on the tour is free.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
308 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise stop in January - best way to spend day

The entrance fee to Bristone Hill fortress is $10 USD per adult.

9. Re: Cruise stop in January - best way to spend day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about St. Kitts
Recent Conversations