We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming off Nevis/Nisbet

Which Nevis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MA
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Swimming off Nevis/Nisbet

My fiance and I are seriously considering Nisbet Plantation for our June honeymoon.

The only reason we are having a little trouble deciding is we have never been to the Caribbean and as Nisbet is on the Atlantic we don't expect that Caribbean blue water we always imagined.

Is the water off Nevis, especially at Nisbet's beach a major drawback?

We would like to go snorkeling, but not diving.

Thanks.

Nevis
Level Contributor
257 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming off Nevis/Nisbet

Don't worry, depending on weather conditions, the water is just as blue as anywhere else in the West Indies.

Nisbet is on the north coast of Nevis and receives a stronger breeze than hotels on the east coast. This doesn't just make it more comfortable but also keeps down the bugs. On the down side is poor visibility when winds are really strong.

The whole of the island is in fact in the Caribbean Sea, it's just that the east coast is refered to as the 'Atlantic Side'. 40 miles to the east is Antigua and it's west coast is Caribbean!

There are quite a few good snorkeling sites around the island, Nisbet, Oualie, Tamarind, Paradise and Pinneys all provide interest but the best snorkeling I have found is a small bay off the south west of St Kitts called *hittin bay. Not a pleasant name but fantastic snorkeling. Some boats on Nevis run charters to these bays.

Boston
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming off Nevis/Nisbet

Hi Gatoma--

Although we have never stayed at Nisbit we have spent a lot of there during the day during our brief vacations and enjoy Nisbet a lot. There is a reef that keeps the waves from being overly rough and I've been told the snorkeling is pretty good. The only drawback is the water is fairly rocky along the beach and is not particularly good for swimming and wading through the surf. Pinney is more of the stereotypical Caribbean beach.

Bill

New york
Level Contributor
57 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming off Nevis/Nisbet

I was at Nisbet last year in early July with 33 of my family and friends for my wedding. Everyone absolutely loved the place. Not only are the grounds beautiful, but the staff is amazing! I can't say how they made my wedding simply unforgettable. The food is absolutely delicious, if you decide to go to nevis try their meal plan since it is a great deal for the price. I've lived in NY and Philly and the food in Nisbet definitely holds its own compared to what I have had closer to home. Chef Tony also made an amazing job for our wedding menu, I loved th mango wedding cake! The beach is very beautiful and yes, there are some rocky parts closer to the sand, but I found that if I waded a little farther out in the sea I got to a comfortable sandy area where I could stand and still enjoy the warm caribbean waters. I don't think Nevis has the typical caribbean clear waters you may see in other islands (that also include Pinney's beach, which is a calmer/flatter water area of the island), so you just have to expecthat if you decide to go to Nevis. I never found the currents in Nevis to be strong, my friends snorkeled and swam without a problem. There was always a breeze by the beach, which made it very nice and refreshing to sunbathe. Their pool is also very nice, and a nice dip after getting warmed up by the sun. At night, the whirlpool was fantastic. Maybe I have very sweet tasting blood, but I did get mosquito bites (my husband had none), but I also got bites everywhere I went in the island, so I don't think it is specific to Nisbet (plus the rooms include complimentary skin bug spray, which was a god send to me). Overall, I think you will not regret going to nevis, and for the price, it is definitely more affordable and more intimate than the Four Seasons.

Congrats on your honeymoon, I wish you and your spouse a wonderful stay. I hope you guys have just as much fun as my husband and I had, it is a very romantic place. we can't wait to go back for one our anniversaries!

Try to get a premier room if you can afford it (request to be on the upper floor), and you won't regret it.

MA
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming off Nevis/Nisbet

Thank you for all of the info!

We are a little stumped on which plan to get.

We are definately going to get the full meal plan, but are considering the Totally Royal Escape plan which includes all drinks & 2 massages. It would be nice to not have to worry about paying for drinks, but we would have to drink an awful lot to make up for the difference in price. We aren't huge drinkers - maybe 4 - 5 each a day tops.

How much do the drinks really cost there?

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming off Nevis/Nisbet

FYI - mixed drinks and most cocktails at Nisbet will run you between $10 and $12.50US for most mixed drinks so if you are planning to have 4 or 5 per day that comes to between $50 and $62.50US per day.

New york
Level Contributor
57 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming off Nevis/Nisbet

I agree with the previous post, mixed drinks will run around 10-12, they are a little pricey, but delicious.

If you like wine, they also have a pretty extensive wine list for dinner and when I was choosing wines for our wedding, I saw that you can get some nice red and wine bottles for 30-40 dollars per bottle. I'm not sure if your plan also includes wine as part of the deal.

I think most people that I met in Nisbet didn't have the all drink inclusive plan, so you just have to figure out how much you might be drinking to see if the plan would actually save you money.

Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming off Nevis/Nisbet

We just returned from Nisbet Plantation and plan to go back next spring. We had drinks everyday, both at the bar and brought to us on the beach, beer was 4 dollars, my wife drank wine several times a day at 9 dollars and mixed drinks were 8-9 dollars. We had a mini bar and drinks were reasonable. As I was unpacking I came across

a pint of Jack Daniels left over from a previous trip which we downed in no time flat. You might pack a plastic bottle of your favorite gin/vodka/bourbon and bring it along. That is what I plan for our next trip, maybe a couple bottles each.

The water was wonderful and beautiful. If you walk down the beach from Nisbet's there is a beautiful area of water that is clear, shallow, and caribbean blue. We spent many hours in the water in this area, just a couple minutes walk and in sight of Nisbets. There were a number of families that were snorkling during our visit and they would come back all excited about what they saw, so there are some good areas to go just not as good as the Virgin Islands or other places but we love Nisbet's and will continue to go back.

maybe I should write a trip report.

Nevis
Level Contributor
257 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming off Nevis/Nisbet

Stormy49,

I think the beach you refer to is appropriately named 'Lovers Beach' and really is one of the least populated and nicest beaches on the island.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,960 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Swimming off Nevis/Nisbet

Isn't the airport between Nisbet and Lover's Beach? Perhaps the poster walked to the right at Nisbet--I think you would reach Herbert's Beach, a local family beach.

ting

Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swimming off Nevis/Nisbet

if you are at the Nisbet beach bar, we walked about 3 minutes to our right and there is a stretch of beach that goes for about a half mile and there is also the deserted SET N UP Beach Bar, I took a picture of it, it is here that the water stays calm, clear and yes it also stays deserted for most of the time but compare it to Nisbets water which is always full of seaweed and rocky, this area down from Nisbets is really very nice. I was always saying to my wife, why couldn't this area be down in front of Nisbets's? In ANSWER to the original post, we still will go back to Nibets for the beach, snorkling and service and NO the beach at Nisbets is not a drawback but really we were drawn to it.....its beautiful!!