We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much is ferry to St.kitts

plainfield,il
Level Contributor
63 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How much is ferry to St.kitts

I was thinking about staying on St.Kitts, but visiting daytime on Nevis several days.Is there a weekly pass?How much is the fare?Not sure if this is cost effective.

Mentioned in this post
St. Kitts
St. Kitts
St. Kitts and Nevis
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,266 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much is ferry to St.kitts

people ferry or car ferry?

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
356 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much is ferry to St.kitts

The people ferry is less than US$10 although the exact amount escapes me at the moment. When you buy your ticket from St. Kitts to Nevis, it's a 2-part process, so I would think the process would be the same from Nevis to St. Kitts. First, you purchase the ticket at one booth, and pay the "tax" at another.

The car ferry is US$28 (one way); US$47 for round-trip on the same day; and US$6 for additional passengers (besides the driver). I'm using the conversion rate of $1US = $2.68EC.

Passengers without cars can also take the car ferry, but you need to arrange transportation prior to your arrival in Cade's Bay as there will be no taxi's waiting.

There are no weekly passes that I know of.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,407 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much is ferry to St.kitts

The "people" ferry cost $25EC (About $9.59US) each way plus $1.00EC (about $.30US) Port Tax.

Center Valley...
Level Contributor
907 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much is ferry to St.kitts

Even though the car ferry is cheaper for a person (I'm thinking someone told me it was 15 EC pp compared to the 25 EC pp for a boat out of Basseterre), it's still probably cheaper to go out of Basseterre once you'd pay for a taxi in Nevis to take you where you'd want to go.

You can get a discount if you buy both ways at one time, but since we wanted to have the freedom to come back on any of the companies depending on the time we got done, we just paid the 25 EC pp each way.

Why don't you just split your trip in half and spend half your days in St Kitts & half your days in Nevis? We only spent 1 day in Nevis, and I wish we would have had more time to explore.

Also, if it is extremely rough, not all of the ferries will go back and forth, limiting your options. The day we went over, only 2 of the companies were running.

Mentioned in this post
Basseterre
Basseterre
St. Kitts
St. Kitts
St. Kitts
St. Kitts and Nevis
Nevis
Level Contributor
259 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much is ferry to St.kitts

It really depends on if you are hiring a car. If you want to explore Nevis it is cheaper and easier to rent a car in St Kitts and use the car ferry.

Another factor I would consider is the number of adverse comments I have heard about the passenger ferry terminal in St Kitts. On occasions it is not the most comfortable place to be.

Mentioned in this post
St. Kitts
St. Kitts
St. Kitts and Nevis
Center Valley...
Level Contributor
907 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much is ferry to St.kitts

We spent about an hour on each side, waiting at the ferry terminals. I didn't find it uncomfortable. Basic open air seatings. Lots of people. The buses pick up by the terminal in St Kitts, so there is a lot of movement. If crowds of locals make you nervous, it might be a little harrying, but I like to people watch, so I thought it was fun.

Mentioned in this post
St. Kitts
St. Kitts
St. Kitts and Nevis
Birdsboro...
Level Contributor
193 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much is ferry to St.kitts

Does anyone know of tour operators who take you to Nevis for the day and explore the sights?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
861 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much is ferry to St.kitts

Nilechamp,

I am a bit curious about the nature of the "adverse comments" regarding the passenger ferry in St. Kitts.

What have you heard? I have taken the regular ferry and the SeaBridge car ferry and would not hesitate to do either one again.

A lot of visitors don't rent vehicles, so it makes more sense to take the passenger ferry, as the arrival in Nevis is directly in Charlestown, with lots of taxis waiting nearby.

Mentioned in this post
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
356 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much is ferry to St.kitts

What difference does it make what anybody has "heard" about the ferry terminal at St. Kitts? Apparently nilechamp did not want to make further comment about it, otherwise he/she would have.

If anyone has an adverse experience at the ferry terminal, that's too bad and there's no need to re-hash it here - what's the point?

It is true that the ferry terminal is the primary transportation of choice for locals to get from one island to another. If tourists/traveler's are not comfortable being around lots of "locals," then that should be taken into consideration when deciding how to get across the channel.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
861 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much is ferry to St.kitts

I was seeking clarification, not a re-hash.

Get answers to your questions about Nevis