We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nisbet plantation or Oualie Beach?

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Nisbet plantation or Oualie Beach?

Please help us decide between Nisbet Plantation and Oualie Beach. Is there a big difference in the beaches at the two? We have been spoiled by beaches in Grenada, Anguilla & Negril so would like a beach that isn't too choppy. Any comparisons between the two would be helpful. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Oualie Beach
Oualie Beach
121 Reviews
Nevis
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Nisbet plantation or Oualie Beach?

Well for starter let me tell you that I am the Chef at Oualie so my comments may be biased, so with that said.

The two properties are very different. That is the beauty of Nevis, all the properties are unique.

Nisbet is a wonderful plantation inn that is very upscale. It is one my wifes and mother-in-laws favorite beaches. The beach is on the Atlantic side of the Island so it has a bit more movement and has a breeze. The beach has rock formations which are nice for snorkeling. Nisbet has great food! Chef Tony does a great Thursday Night, Seafood night. They have one of the best bands on the island playing that night. They also have afternoon tea, my mother-in-laws favorite. The Managers there are new and are very welcoming to there guest and will make you feel at home.

Oualie is much different, but still has a great feel to it. Oualie is a much more laid back hotel and is very charming. All of its rooms are a few feet from the beach and all have porches. We have a really great restaurant right on the beach and as I say it's great food with sand between your toes. :) Our beach is in a protected bay so it is very calm 98% of the time, I say that because today we have a wind. But 98% of the time it is very calm and it is sand bottom and for a long distance, about 30 yards, it is no more than 5 feet. We have water sports and the only dive shop located at our beach. On Tuesdays we have a great beach bar-B-Que and live entertainment Tuesdays, Fridays, Saturday and Sunday. Our staff is friendly and welcoming too.

Which ever you choose I know you will have fun and a great time. The great thing is the island is small and you can go almost anywhere. All beaches are public, even Four Seasons, So don't be afraid to lime at any of our nice beaches. Please stop by Oualie and say hi we will save a hammock for you!!!

Mentioned in this post
Oualie Beach Resort
Oualie Beach Resort
411 Reviews
Nevis
Nevis
Nevis
St. Kitts and Nevis
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Nisbet plantation or Oualie Beach?

My husband and I were at Oualie Beach Hotel over Christmas and yes I agree with Chef Jason that the two beaches are different. Oualie is calm and Nisbet is windy as all get out. You must take water shoes so you can walk into the ocean at Nisbet due to the rock bottom...OUCH. No shoes needed at Oualie. The down side to our trip was sand fleas that ate me up alive. My husband did scuba diving everyday so his time at he beach was not as long as mine.

Chef Jaason is one FABULOUS chef and when I tell you I loved everything he prepared I'm not lying. I am very fussy with my meals as I'm a personal trainer and eat very healthy so I had no problem at all. The down side is the wait staff........you will WAIT for everything you want. Water or coffee.....pick which you want first because you'll wait for the other one to be brought to your table.

Be careful walking or running on the roads as everyone drives very fast. I jumped into a few bushes to get out of the way.

My husband loved his scuba diving trips and Oualie Dive shop has great staff that are very happy your there. I can't say that about some of the staff at Oualie Hotel. Stacey at the front desk was a god send to us for answers to questions and problems with our bill. All was taken care of before we left so we were OK with that.

Chef Jason, I know you'll read this and I want to say thank you again for your fabulous meals and your kindness to us and everyone there. Jason comes out each meal to say hello to all the guests which makes him one great guy.

please pass our regards onto Stacey.

Suanne and Mike

Mentioned in this post
Oualie Beach
Oualie Beach
121 Reviews
Nevis
Oualie Beach Resort
Oualie Beach Resort
411 Reviews
Nevis
MA.
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nisbet plantation or Oualie Beach?

Both hotels are very nice but Nisbet prides itself on efficient and attentive service.

I prefer Nisbet having stayed at both.

Celeste

Nevis
Level Contributor
259 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nisbet plantation or Oualie Beach?

We have spent many happy days and evenings at both, and ChefJason does a great job of describing them.

To sum up the differences: Nisbet is definately breezier, but we prefer this. It has never actually been choppy while we have been there and the breeze keeps the bugs away. I agree with Riekerfit, we have also suffered with bites at Oualie.

The sand, hammocks, beds, bars, restaurants on both are of an equivalent high standard.

However, Oualie is set in a bay and has a perfect long gentle sand slope allowing perfect wadding or swimming.

Both hotels welcome non-guests and allow them to use the beach and it's facilities so why not use both, we do!

Your choice will probably come down to the hotel itself. Nisbet provides the charm and attention of a traditional plantation hotel and Oualie has excellent watersports and a bit more happening in the evenings.

Isn't life tough when you have such difficult choices !!!!

Mentioned in this post
Oualie Beach Resort
Oualie Beach Resort
411 Reviews
Nevis
Get answers to your questions about Nevis
Recent Conversations