We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nevis or St. John, USVI?

Maryland
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Nevis or St. John, USVI?

Looking for a good hiking, snorkeling and beach vacation in Nov/Dec. Can't decide between Nevis or St. John's. Young couple that likes quiet, private hikes, good food and laid back atmosphere. Also looking for accomodations suggestions on the two islands. Is the Nesbit Plantation beach really windy?

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,939 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nevis or St. John, USVI?

You are looking at two very different islands.

First, if snorkeling is high on your list of priorities you really want to go to St. john. Snorkeling around Nevis is almost non-existent (the island lacks a comprehensive near shore reef system). The best snorkeling near Nevis is actually over by St. Kitts and is accessible only by boat but it pales in comparison to anything you'll find on St. John. Simply put, no one goes to Nevis for the snorkeling.

You'll find very good to excellent hiking on both Nevis and St. John, however, Nevis has more old plantation ruins to discover and explore so if "history" interest you than Nevis gets the nod over St. John where the hiking is mainly in the National Park lands.

Yes, the beach area at Nisbet can get breezy, especially in December when we get the phenomenon known as "Christmas Winds". Of course you are dealing with Mother Nature so there's no guarantees whether it will be windy or calm.

Nevis has some excellent dining options as does St. John so that's probably a tie.

Both islands are "laid back" and "quite". Nevis has more of an old world Caribbean charm while St. John is 3/4 National Park. Nevis is somewhat lusher than St. John which is a bit more arid (think dry forest for St. John vs. rain forest for Nevis).

Edited: 26 October 2011, 17:02
Mandeville, Jamaica
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nevis or St. John, USVI?

The Caneel Bay Rosewood Resort Saint John is a quiet place to visit. It also has some good activities to.

hotelscombined.com/Hotel/…

Wildwood, Missouri
Level Contributor
58 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nevis or St. John, USVI?

CaribSurfer gave a very good comparison of the 2 islands.

Cruz Bay in St. John has a very U.S. feel to it. Charlestown has a much more Caribbean feel to it. If you're looking for a different atmosphere - Nevis. If you'd feel more comfortable in more familiar surroundings - St. John.

Also, small point, but if you're planning to rent a car - drive on the left in Nevis and on the right in St. John

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
641 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nevis or St. John, USVI?

Drive on the left in St John too, hubby let me drive one day and what fun! I cannot speak to Nevis (its on our to do list) but having been to St John twice where the National Park is 2/3 of the island, I can say its a beautiful island with great beaches, snorkling and hiking. One of our memorable days was spent in a rented zodiac exploring the coast and beaches of St John, where we tied off the boat and swam ashore at Trunk Bay and snorkled at Waterlemon. If you decide to go to St John, pick up a copy of St John off the Beaten Path amazon.com/St-John-Off-Beaten-Track/dp/09641…

its a very informative read and will fill you in on all you need to know.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
641 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nevis or St. John, USVI?

For accomadations check out http://www.vrbo.com/ you'll find numerous rentals available.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
597 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nevis or St. John, USVI?

I've never been to St. John's, so can't compare.

I posted a pretty detailed report of our trip in May 2011 of Nevis, if you are interested you can read for a better idea of the island overall. Nevis is a lovely island with wonderful people, great food and plenty of history, wonderful architecture, exploration and hiking adventures are plentiful. Not so much a destination for snorkeling - there are SOME snorkeling opportunities though nothing to write home about.

I've heard St. Johns is nice too, but that it's time consuming to get there in terms of transportation. ??? Also on our list of places to see in the Caribbean.

My post, if you are interested, is headed "Trip Report From May".

Nevis
Level Contributor
257 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nevis or St. John, USVI?

Kim_coco,

did you get out to Shitten Bay for snorkelling? Variety of fish and coral is great. Nevis Yacht Charters will take you there:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147377-d1…

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
597 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nevis or St. John, USVI?

No, we did not want to pay for a snorkeling charter as we already knew Nevis is not really "known" for its snorkeling.

9. Re: Nevis or St. John, USVI?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2013, 10:19
Get answers to your questions about Nevis