We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nevis crime???

Which Nevis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sheboygan wisconsin
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
nevis crime???

I'm researching a possible trip to Nevis, and was wondering about how safe Nevis is for a tourist????

Huntington, MA USA
Level Contributor
42 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nevis crime???

You should have absolutely no worries at all. We've taken 4 vacations there, and never had a single issue; quite the opposite! We have found the Nevis people to be kind, helpful and friendly. I've had more issues with other tourists than I've had with the locals (let's face it; we deserve our poor reputation sometimes). There is no comparison between the "tensions" we've experienced at other islands including Jamaica, Bahamas (both Freeport and Nassau) and even Punta Cana (DR). Don't let the recent high-profile theft sway you in any manner. In my opinion, the reason it was such a big deal is because it was such an isolate incident.

I'd welcome the opportunity to help with your vacation plans...just send me your questions! Best of luck.

Sidney, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nevis crime???

As a frequent and usually, "long-stay" (a month or more) visitor, I support the statements above. Nevis is a peaceful and safe place to enjoy a vacation...provided that, like any place in the world, you are prudent in your behaviour, manners and activities. Nevis is not a place of nightclubs, gambling nor any particular high life. It is rather, a place for enjoying what the tropics should be. Relax, enjoy the cuisine, beaches, environment and the friendly folks. Accommodation and activities, as are the rates, range from luxury to those for the more moderately budget minded. Once you visit, you will find that Nevis gets in your soul...luring you to return. Cheers, Richard.

3. Re: nevis crime???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2013, 21:42
Nevis
Level Contributor
257 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nevis crime???

Unfortunately the quotes selected by Tikimadness are misleading and out of context. The actual quote to the media from the Commissioner of Police was - "You’ll have all the information; I’ll give you a summation of what’s in the raw data". The only change is that in the future raw data will not be published.

The Delta Squad are made up of existing police officers and defence force personnel. They have not been "called in" from anywhere. It is simply a vehicle for the police to give extra training to it's officers and to target crime in the community.

5. Re: nevis crime???

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

6. Re: nevis crime???

Boston...
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nevis crime???

thestkittsnevisobserver.com/2012/07/13/forei…

8. Re: nevis crime???

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 13:05
Boston...
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nevis crime???

and if Nevis crime is bad click on this link for a summary of the mayhem in St Kitts. …blogspot.com/2012/01/real-life.html

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
856 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: nevis crime???

MylesStandish: I arrived in St. Kitts for my annual visit the day after the Justice Breyer incident across the channel in Nevis; It was all over the news and everyone on both islands was talking about it. Supposedly, the FBI were crawling all over both islands. In the days leading up to this event, there had also been a very recent murder of a very popular beach bar owner, whose clientele was primarily students of the several off-shore universities in St. Kitts, as well as savvy tourists looking for a *not-inside-the-box sanitized* experience.

Why do I mention all this? Not to sensationalize or discourage people from going. In fact, during the justice Breyer incident, there was a huge convention of US agriculture professionals and farmers, housed at the Marriott in St. Kitts. I talked to quite a few of those visitors during my travels around the island. Everyone was having a good time. Everyone was aware of the news and the stats, and pretty much everyone I talked to were pleased with their stay and their interactions with the citizens of the Federation. Most talked about returning for their next vacation. I am neither a citizen, local, nor expat. I have no agenda, but I have to say that I am with TA on this one. That thread was likey removed for not complying with TA guidelines, which I suggest you go back and review. That thread was growing increasingly dysfunctional, and needed to go.

As for mayhem - believe me, frequent visitors to St. Kitts and Nevis are not naive, in so far as I have been able to determine. Most visitors I encounter are quite concerned about the increase in crime. The most disturbing element is not its impact on visitors, who in fact (and statistics also bear out this claim), are generally not impacted by crime very much, but the fact that the whole situation is imbedded in social conditions of poverty and lack of access and opportunity. This, in a country with a 98% literacy rate. Young men are killing each other, and putting other local individuals and families at risk of theft, injury and death, including losses of loved ones. Are their lives worth less than ours? Why should we, as visitors, be only worried about our own safety, which is NOT AT IMMINENT risk, when we could be contributing to the economy of a nation which has been forced to become completely dependent on tourism income? If you and I stop visiting, it will not put an end to crime. And why stop here, when other destinations that you likely visit are dealing with crimes which actually DO impact visitors to a much greater degree - such as Mexico, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Bahamas, Puerto Rico ... all kinds of destinations in Europe, including Rome, Naples and Athens ... well, you get my drift.

You need to reflect on your own agenda for continuing to beat a dead horse. All this information is there for folks who want to know. I will continue to visit, and will continue to encourage others to do so. But, WHEN I TRAVEL, I ARM MYSELF WITH FACTS, and not with alarmist gossip. The situation in SK&N has not devolved into mayhem. Visitors are safe, if the take the usual precautions that all wise traveller should be taking anyway. I stand by that statement, as a person who did in fact experience a crime in 2006. I still go and feel fine about going. As an aside, I also feel fine about visiting the local hospital. And now, I shall step down from my soapbox.

Edited: 24 July 2012, 11:34