We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Day 3

Which Nevis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Silverdale...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report Day 3

Good things to report from our first trip to St Kitts and Nevus.

Internet is spotty, had a big report typed up and lost it, so this time I am going to do it in pieces!

Got lucky and left 1 day early so we scrambled for a place on St Kitts, not into crowds or glitz so we forego the Marriott and stayed at Richards Beach hotel our one night in St Kitts.

Flight from seattle snowing and 18F when we left, stopped in Phoenix and then Miami.

Arrived at St Kitts and were pleasantly surprised how fast the customs line went!

Took advice from on here and bought some run in the duty free downstairs at the airport... Cheap!

Surprised that nobody else went into the tiny little shop, more of a closet!

Our driver "uncle millie" was waiting for us and took us to the resort, colorful and talkative, just like you would hope!

Check in was a breeze, older hotel with bright colors and really big rooms, perfect for is!

Silverdale...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Day 3

The hotel staff was great, nice little beach, certainly not fancy, it was sunday afternoon and lots of locals were playing on the beach and in the water.... A whole string of rickety old shacks lined the beach and were actually bars!

We sat on the beach for a few but the sun was already setting, changed clothes and showered and down to find food, what luck we had!! Sunday nights Richards has a caribbean buffet! chef Gary was great and the food was terrific! Conch chowder, bbq ribs, fresh fish, mac and cheese, jerked chicken potato salad and fresh veggies! Our best meal so far, it was our first so we had high hopes, been let down so far..

Anyway, great first night.

Next day tour around st kitts for $80 with gloria in her big black van, she was fun and showed us all the villages, waved to her toothless grandfather as we drove by her village! Stopped at a little shack for fresh made fruit juice and little rolls with meat and salt fish cooked inside, terrific. Tourists don't typically stop there and the owner was mor than surprised when we walked in, but we insisted we wanted a local lunch, it was great, the juice was amazing!

Silverdale...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Day 3

We stopped at several tourist stops for photos and souvenirs, overall a nice day we were lucky to get in st kitts!

Arrived at the ferry late, it had already pulled out...

Wait for it...

It actually stopped and came back for us!!

Are you kidding me, we were astounded, and nobody seemed to mind that the came back to get us.

Met at the ferry by Alberns car rental with our car and license, fast and easy.

The Firefly cottage is way up top of spring hill, just what we wanted, secluded, quiet little cottage on stilts over the rain forest... A little pool off on the side and cute little paths around the property.

Perfect..

First dinner, coconut grove is real close..

Disappointed.

Overpriced, food was good.. I would give it a B, I am not a food snob, but pricey for what you get. Staff was good, one of the servers had quite the arrogant air about him.... In my opinion not what we were expecting, not worth the money and a very stuffy Clientele. On a great note, we walked down to their beach after dinner and discovered baby sea turtles!!

We brought one up to show an elderly couple and rallied the troops to help get them to the surf. Only about a dozen and all going the wrong way, confused on their boardwalk...

Let them go in the surf to hoorays from the 3-4 couples that were there, the only saving grace to our coconut grove experience.

Silverdale...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Day 3

We have been to 3 beaches so far, they are terrific, lovers beach, pinneys beach andnisbrt... Outstanding for all...

$50 for 4 rum punches was excessive at Nesbit but we are on vacation, so whatever....

Our disappointment today was with the famous Bananas... Really folks, why are you raving about these overpriced very Mediocre restaurants?

Again, I am from Seattle and am hardly a food critic, but these places are falling far short.

Anyway for lunch I had the appetizer of conch gratin in cream, it was good, wife had the salted fish with the local baked roll (forgetting the name), also good... Although the one we had in the road shack on st kitts was actually better and costed 10% the price... Whatever, vacation... i will spend hundreds of us dollars on a great meal, but we were not going to do it there... Maybe a few desserts would be better... I ordered a chocolate lava flow... It was burned and there was no moist chocolate inside... Truly terrible, we are talking black burned, and this was not intended... $15 for a small piece of burned choc "cake" with a dollup of ice cream, this was not a souffle.... So we dropped about $80 for a few pathetic appetizers, and very poor desserts.... Really?

Silverdale...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Day 3

The good is that the island is truly a wonderful and clean place... The people, except the snobby restauranteurs, are delightful and we are really enjoying the culture.

We have a little kitchenette and i fried some plantains in butter and syrup with some pancakes and eggs and have had a few great breakfasts in the cottage

From here on it is small restaurants without the inflated sense of themselves.

We did reserve a time at Nesbit thursday BBQ at $65 each, hoping it is even close to the $25 buffet at Richards on St Kitts.

Probably going to a local little spot on valentines for dinner and dancing, as recommended by some neighbors that frequent this island.

Great island, safe, clean beaches and warm water, wonderful people... Great experience so far.

Silverdale...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Day 3

Last part of this update is a question...

Someone mentioned a great sunday brunch on nevis... Where was that again?

Lastly, if we go to Montpellier, am I going to see the same stuffy type of food and service?

Silverdale...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Day 3

Oops!!

Not Richards resort, it is named Timothys resort on St Kitts!!

Wife edit for accuracy!!

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Day 3

the Sunday brunch on Nevis you heard about is-probably at Gallipot - Roast Beef, Yorkshire Pudding, roasted potatoes, vegetables. Double Deuce also has a similar Roast Beef brunch on Sundays (just started a few weeks ago).

Montpelier has several dining options - The Mill and the main dining terrace for upscale dinner (only). Very good food, attentive service. This is the most romantic dining spot on the island. We dine there multiple times each year and don't find it stuffy at all. Indigo (pool side dining - lunch & dinner) is a bit more casual setting but with excellent food and friendly but unpretentious service.

Silverdale...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Day 3

Thanks for the intel!

Hoping for a seafood/breakfast/lunch type brunch... Anything like that on the island?

Silverdale...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Day 3

Update:

Spent the afternoon on Pinneys Beach and had dinner at Limes, perfect!

Grouper and curried shrimp with seafood chowder was excellent, price reasonable, friendly staff, walk on the beach in the moonlight after dinner... Great...great...great!

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report Day 3

The only thing that comes close to a seafood/breakfast/lunch type brunch is at the Four Seasons.