We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concerned about weather in Nevis this weekend

Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Concerned about weather in Nevis this weekend

Good afternoon,

In looking at the weather forecast, it appears there will be a 60-80% chance of thunderstorms every day. I know there is no way to control the weather, but I was hoping someone could provide some perspective as to what to expect. With this type of forecast, should we expect storms that last the entire day or is there a chance that there will be some good weather in between the storms? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,104 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Concerned about weather in Nevis this weekend

OK, online weather forecasts for Nevis (and almost every island in the Caribbean) are notoriously inaccurate - they almost ALWAYS, REPEAT, ALWAYS predict rain. If you checked them everyday for a year you'd swear the sun never shines on Nevis or anywhere in the Caribbean. That's why we who live on the island rarely look at on-line weather forecasts.

It has been hot and dry for the past 2 months with only about 13 days where there was "some measurable precipitation" somewhere on the island and even at that there was only one day where it rained for more than 30 minutes. Most of the showers we have had in the past 2 months have lasted less than 3 minutes each and they were widely scattered around the island meaning some places got a little "moisture" and others receive NOTHING. Even the rainforest has been extremely dry. Actually, the entire island needs rain but I'm afraid it's really not in the cards right now. To put things in perspective when it rains here one rarely takes time to close up the windows in the house because by the time you finished closing them the rain has stopped and the sun is shinning.

For what it is worth, it is not unusual for it to sprinkle in one area and be bright and sunny 1/4 mile away. I've even seen it rain in my front yard and be dry as a bone in my back yard.

Contrary to what you may think, there are NO STORMS brewing anywhere in the Caribbean at this time and nothing ominous is showing on the satellite photos.

Don't waste your time looking at the online forecasts, they will only cause you needless worry. You will see far more sun then you'll see or even hear rain.

If it does happen to rain while you are visiting you have several options: 1) Go swimming as you'll get wet anyway, 2) Take cover under a nearby palm tree until the rain passes or 3) Go to the nearest bar and order a pina colada (or other exotic cocktail) but don't be surprised if the rain stops before the bartender finishes mixing your drink.

Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concerned about weather in Nevis this weekend

That makes me feel a lot better! Thank you for the response!

Nevis
Level Contributor
110 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Concerned about weather in Nevis this weekend

Caribsurfer is, as usual, 100% correct. The only weather channel I check at this time of year is windguru.com, to see how much wind there is expected to be for sailing. Yes, you may encounter a very brief shower - as you will at any time of year - but Caribsurfer's advice is spot on as to how to best deal with it (I recommend 3) above).

Enjoy your visit!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,113 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Concerned about weather in Nevis this weekend

It's a rain-forested island. It rains all the time. 15 minutes here and 10 minutes there. The weather report for the last 15 years, that I've been going to Nevis, always says that there is rain in the forecast. It can rain on one side of the island and not the other. It can rain on one side of the street and not the other! I just got back and there has been the usual spring drought. Rain will be welcomed but it probably won't be enough to fill the dry cisterns.

5. Re: Concerned about weather in Nevis this weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Nevis
Recent Conversations