We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in the Grenadines and St. Lucia

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in the Grenadines and St. Lucia

My fiance and I are pretty set on having our July/August 2009 honeymoon in St. Lucia and the Grenadines. We will have two weeks and want to go to St. Lucia and then the Grenadines for part of it. Is this possible to do both and are they pretty close to one another? We were thinking about maybe doing the south part of St. Lucia first, about 5 nights in the Grenadines (Palm Island or Petit St. Vincent?) and then going to Castries for the last part and staying at one of the Sandals. Any advice or any information would be very much appreciated as this is our first Caribbean trip together. Sorry for the long post. I posted this in the St. Lucia forum so sorry for those who will read this twice.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
484 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in the Grenadines and St. Lucia

A few thoughts:

1. Its a bit unclear on your post, but remember the two countries are "St Lucia"...and then "St. Vincent and the Grenadines"....so the south part of St. Lucia is not the Grenadines.

2. Are July/August set in stone? If so, this is the beginning of hurricane season and still in the middle of the rainy season. I would buy trip insurance at least for the hurricane factor just in case. I am actually going on my honeymoon later this year in the Grenadines and opted to wait after our Oct wedding till late Nov over Thanksgiving week to avoid both issues.

3. Its maybe an hour flight from St. Lucia to the Grenadines. Very easy and quick, so yes you can do both locations. If you are doing Palm or Petite St. Vincent, you would fly from either Castries or the main airport in St. Lucia (I forget the name) to Union island in the Grenadines, and then ferry over. I beleive SVGair/Mustique air does this flight or you can charter it. Someone else on this forum may know these details?

4. I would also consider Bequia in the Grenadines if you are looking for more activity, bars, restaurants, etc. Many on this forum consider it their overall favorite island in the Grenadines.

5. If you choose Sandals, I would rent a car so you can explore the island....I stayed at a small non-inclusive boutique hotel in St. Lucia and the best thing we did was rent a car and drive around going to different local restaurants, sights, and places we would generally not have seen otherwise.

A note about the beaches: St. Lucia is a mountain country with rainforest and constant rain in the center, very much a eco-touris location with excellent hiking...many of the beaches are rocky, dark sand and water except where they are man made. St. Vincent is very much the same. However the Grenadines are generally much flatter and have the more typical white sand beaches with turquoise water.

Alaska
Level Contributor
372 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in the Grenadines and St. Lucia

Oh, yes - two weeks is plenty of time to see both! We actually spent 5 nights on St. Lucia at the end of our almost month long destination wedding trip in 2006. We stayed at Ti Kaye Resort. Our favorite St. Lucia dining was at the Rainforest Hideaway in Marigot Bay - maybe the best dining EVER! It was delicious, very romantic setting... Don't forget to go to Pigeon Island for a day of exploring. We enjoyed that a lot.

As for the Grenadines... I have an idea for you - what about sailing on a crewed charter? That way you get to island hop and see all the beauty of the Grenadines? In my humble opinion, that is the best way to see the Grenadines.

That being said, we have spent time on Bequia. Bequia is a beautiful, quaint island with gorgeous beaches and the most friendly people! We love it...

Do get trip insurance! I'm sure everything will be fine, but trip insurance for us is how we make sure we will have a great trip (no matter what).

3. Re: Honeymoon in the Grenadines and St. Lucia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 20:15
Get answers to your questions about St. Vincent and the...