We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help w/ ferry

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
749 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Please help w/ ferry

Hello,

K & I have both e-mailed one of the ferry companies on St. Vincent...no response. Could someone please answer my question(s). Do you have to have reservations to get on the ferry--from St. Vincent to Bequia? Can you just turn up & hop on? If so how early do you have to get there before it leaves the port? 1/2 hour, 1-hour?

Also can you recommend a grocery store in-between the airport & the ferry dock? (got the liquor store Gonsalves--already:^)

Thank you!!

KNK

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help w/ ferry

The ferry is wide open. Show up and walk aboard. Not too sure about groceries, but there is one nice looking store across from the airport (but I have never been in) and on the the side of town, Aunt Jobe's market has a slightly North American feel.

But you can get what you want on Bequia, unless you want something a long way out of the ordinary.

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
749 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help w/ ferry

I was thinking there was not too many options on Bequia for provisions. What about liquor/beer on Bequia? I may have read something about a brewery.

While I may still have your ear....have you ever done Yannis day trip??

Thank you!!

KNK

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help w/ ferry

When you get off the ferry ask the cab driver to take you to the brewery. It is actually a warehouse and pick up a case. I get a case of beer, case of pop and a case of water when I arrive. Wine and liquor is more expensive than on the mainland and the selection in St Vincent is broader. But not by twice as much or anything so I prefer to leave my $$ on Bequia. Note I am not a heavy drinker so booze cost is not a real budget item. In 10 days I barely get through a case of beer.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,902 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help w/ ferry

If I have time between the flight arrival and airport I like to stop for fresh meats etc on the mainland. The grocery across from the airport is a good spot w/ a bakery. There is another just outside the fence to the ferry/port. When staying for a long period of time (3+ wks) I like Aunt Jobe's. It is a ways from the airport/ferry so unless buying a lot I don't think it's worth the time/taxi. Fresh meat is scarce on Bequia, frozen isn't. My taxi driver (Fat Man) is happy to pick up a case of beer and water to deliver once on Bequia and the price is not bad. You may have to make several stops on the island if you have specific specialty products/brands in mind. The village is small, if you don't see what you want...ask for help! As far as the ferry goes, 15 min is plenty of time to board.

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
749 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help w/ ferry

http://www.ckgreaves.com/index.html

---IS the site I found for the stores I think you are talking about ( have to be:)

Trying to decide which one to go to ---near the airport or near the ferry.....We wont need too much...just enough for a couple of days till we feel out the Island. Then just before we hop on the Friendship Rose we will get a few more things @ Port Elizabeth for our stay on Mayreau. (any suggestions there?? close to the dock?) If I called the taxi service in advance...do you think they would pick beer, soda & water up for us & meet us @ the port then take us to our hotel? I want to have the taxi pre-arranged as we are taking the last ferry over from SVG. I only found 1-so far that actually says call us for pick up from the ferry...dont believe it was fat man though....

Thank you:^)

KNK

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,902 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help w/ ferry

Any of the taxis are happy to meet you at the Port and stop at the store(s) on the way to your lodging. They will want you there before purchasing your supplies. Plenty of taxis line up to meet each ferry arrival so don't worry about that. Either of Greaves is fine for what you want. There are 2 sm grocery stores just across (Knight's) or around the corner from the dock in PE where the Friendship Rose leaves. Plenty of restaurants on Mayreau also. I like to take some fresh croissants etc from Lina's in Pt Elizabeth just across from the ferry dock.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help w/ ferry

There will be a hoard of taxi drivers there when the ferry arrives. No need to reserve in advance, although you can if you want. Wherever you are staying can stock up for the first day or so for you, if you ask. Half the fun of the trip finding stuff.

Mayreau (and even Union to some extent) is a different story. Not too many choices so take some stuff with you. Arrange for a ride on Mayreau. Even on Union sometimes it is hard to find a taxi.

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
749 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help w/ ferry

We are staying w/ Dennis so I am having him come out to the Cays & get us from the FR. & Taxi us up to his place. We will be dropped off @ the Anchorage Dock on Union...that's where we are staying so hopefully we wont need a taxi there.

Ok so no need to pre-arrange the taxi on Bequia, good to know:) We just just grab one & go, good to know!

We are staying in Lower Bay...with no vehicle, so we will need a few things before crossing on the ferry. I know its not a very big island but we will be traveling for 3 days by the time we get there (we live in the sticks) & we will want to chill for 2 days or so before venturing to far. The bakery you mention sounds nice! Have to look for that. & Knight's too! Perfect for our stay on Mayreau. Just hope we have enough liquor! Ha-ha! We are drinkers..not drunks but we like our drink. I used to work for a big (greedy) beer co. here & we kind of conditioned ourselves during those years...Free beer is the best beer! SO this brewery..has beer & soda & water? All by the case? Is SVG going to be less expensive for these, or compare in price w/ Bequia? I'm sure we will shop @ both SVG & the brewery.....I can see us needing more things throughout the week we are there.

If we did want to use a taxi service for a island tour....can anyone tell me about how much this should cost for 2 people...say 6 hours or so? & do we need to pay them in XCD$$? We are getting some in Miami...Just don't know how much to get yet....

How much is the water taxi..say from Lower bay to Park bay...to see the turtle sanctuary? Ive read that is a NICE BEACH!

Sorry so long winded here...I'm a freak for information & just gotta know what to do, how to do it & what NOT to do:^) Would never want to be an ugly American!

Thank you!!!

KNK

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,902 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help w/ ferry

KnK....I've got to tell you....you are overthinking this. Relax, the Islands you have chosen are some of the simplest to get around you will find. No real need to plan out each step and easy to just go with the flow..no real "brewery" on Bequia, just a warehouse to buy from. Since you are traveling to Bequia via ferry and no vehicle you won't need many groceries to lug along. You can buy plenty of staples and fresh fruit/veggies once on Bequia. It's a five minute taxi ride from Lower Bay to Port E and as was mentioned, shopping and "seeking" is part of the fun. It is a tiny village so it's not like it takes hours or anything. For a stay at Dennis you don't need any groceries as you have no kitchen or fridge (maybe a few snacks). From Dennis' you can walk to a handful of good restaurants and I've never known Mayreau to run out of beer or rum ;-). Also never gone hungry there. Beware the rum punch at Robert's ;-). You sure won't want to lug beer/water etc around from any island to another. When Dennis drops you on Union there are at least two grocery stores, a small gourmet store, a fruit/veggie open air market and a very good bakery within 3 blocks all an easy walk from the Anchorage. Union also has several good restaurants and very reasonable prices. I would not be at all concerned. Plenty of food/drink in the Grenadines. Plenty of friendly and helpful people willing to point you in the right direction. On Bequia the water taxis travel between Lower Bay and Port Elizabeth. Take a taxi to Park and be sure to stop at Crescent Beach while over there. I usually either invite the driver in for a cool drink or have him drop me and pre arrange pick up! Dawn and Willie at the restaurant there are always happy to call a taxi for you as well. Once on Bequia just about anyone will call for your taxi on VHF...I think you will relax within minutes of arrival. Your first night on Bequia you should be able to walk down to De Reef or Keegan's (be sure to go to Keegan's BBQ night for good fish, pork, chicken and local soups, snacks etc) for beer and dinner, both are extremely casual! Hmmmm what not to do to be an "ugly american" SO simple. Smile and be polite, don't be "demanding" and don't expect speedy service, don't overplan. Go with the flow and ask locals and drivers for advice when you need it. My only mistake in SVG was feeling uncomfortable and not asking questions, that was the first trip, first day! Never since, I quickly learned these Locals truly appreciate business and go out of their way to be helpful but not intrusive. Enjoy

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help w/ ferry

For Park. Industry and Crescent I like to taxi to the turtle sanctuary. Walk back to the restaurant at Crescent and while away most of an afternoon there. Then cab it back to wherever.

Get answers to your questions about St. Vincent and the...