We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report part 2

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
756 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report part 2

We woke up to another beautiful day on Bequia. Breakfast again was in order, my turn, and coffee a little less strong than yesterday. As K did not know how strong it would be. Very I should say. I tried to “toast” some bread w/ cheese in a pan as the toaster did not work. Did not have any butter…saw a trick once & used the mayo we bought @ Knight’s, it worked fine. Always improvising:) Banana cold from the fridge (yum) split another juice (quite thick there) & another orange from J. Time to get ready for our day with G! $$, swimsuits, towel, camera, snacks, hat, CHECK! K-had someone call G & left a message for us the night before just to be sure. Well needless to say he never got it….. So we decided to walk…to town…heart attack hill here we come. I vowed I would not do this, as my broken foot was still healing. Backpacks on & we were off on foot. Passing the restaurants near De reef, told K about the BBQ @ Keegan’s, he said we should go for dinner. It was Saturday after all. The day before K-walked Lower Bay beach to the right & found posted 2-signs, one about the poisonous tree fruit, the other about leaving “pampers” on the beach. Well we found out about pampers on our walk. All on the beach side too. Up, up, up heart attack hill. It started to drizzle. Thank the rain gods; K was making fun of me sweating! Everyone we passed said good morning, except for one, a strange looking woman @ the bus stop. We asked her if this was indeed the bus stop. She said yes. We asked which way the bus is going. She pointed in the opposite direction of where we were headed, said she was going that same way. We then asked if the bus comes to go this way. She said something we didn’t understand & K was getting a little freaked by her & we continued walking. I said that was weird…he said yeah did you see this or that about her…I said yeah & the sweat was building again. I found a large stick/branch to help me walk, as I have a walking stick @ home for hiking. The Branch had to be 3 inches in girth. I think some passersby thought I was using it as some type of protection. We both felt 100% safe, I just needed a little extra help taking on Heart attack hill. We could hear the music from the harbor, we must be getting close. Just about to take a right turn, K-shouts out HEY—I didn’t even notice @ what, it was G! He said you didn’t call? We said we had someone else leave a message. He checked his phone. Maybe they dialed the wrong #? G was taking his wife & kids to his mother-in-laws for lunch, they were just returning from church. G said you still want to go today? Of course, we said go do what you gotta do & tell us where to meet you in the harbor. He said hear the music? Just follow that & I’ll be there shortly. No problem, as the music was getting louder & louder. What timing! Another minute literally & we would have missed him completely.

Port Elizabeth: What a lively place! People all over, loud music, some dancing, some sitting, shops open everywhere. Perfect that we had time to spare, as we walked into town I noticed the Friendship Rose Office. I said OH K- we have to check in for our trip. Although we were supposed to check in the day before we went, I thought can’t hurt to do it now. Our trip to the Tabago Cays was scheduled for Thursday. Good thing I inquired, as they had our CC# but had not charged us yet. I gave authorization & they said show up @ that little pier/dock Thursday @ 7am. NICE!! Found Knight’s store as we recognized where it was, from our day of arrival. I got a glass Coke—One of my most favorite things in the world, K-got a beer. I videoed this but did not have record on, dang it all! I did start recording after I realized though…Over to the Ferry docks we go. Music pumpin, beautiful sunshine now, K & I are already having a great time.

People were asking if we need a taxi…even before we went over to Knight’s store. We politely responded, no thank you we have one on the way. As we could tell everyone wanted the business. This was the beginning of the “high season” for them. We sat in the “taxi park” taking it all in sharing the beer & admiring the Friendship Rose. Thinking what a ride that’s going to be! K-spots G coming up the street & we start walking to the entrance of the parking lot. G hops out & opens the side door for us...K says man we can get it, don’t bother with that. As we are climbing in more ribbing for G-we can hear the other taxi drivers…” the only white people & you get em” We all just had a good laugh about it. Telling G-"man they like giving you S*^%!" K & I had a talk about this later & we were glad to have G-as he had what one might call a Toyota mini-van—but not quite. It had tinted windows, A/C, & plenty of room. We thought it better than the trucks where you sit in the back…of course to each their own:)

Where would you like to go G asked? I said I would like to see the Turtles & Have a Roti. K-said take us to what you think we should see. & we were off again. G was a great wealth of knowledge, about the Island, the people, the happenings. Hmmmm the happenings, well K& I stumbled upon this little piece of paradise just before the “elections” There were some political happenings going on to say the least. Red or the Yellow (NDP). Could be compared to our Democrats & Republicans here in the US? I won’t say what side G was on, because K & I witnessed too many “heated” debates on the subject of “whose side is correct”. I will say that we had the privilege of seeing both sides rally on different nights @ the Ferry Docks. That was something to witness as an outsider...both sides! WOW!!!!

On we go, 1st stop for gas. We pull up to the pump G tells the guy how much he wants, the guy lays into him! These people (meaning us KNK!) wait for you for 5-hours & you got to stop to get gas! Of course we had not waited for 5-hours. By any stretch, again K & I had a good laugh about it…we did not care one bit. The tank has to be full for our day of touring Bequia. K & I continue to rib G about the whole thing throughout the day:) G drove towards the Old Hegg Turtle Sanctuary, where we meet Brother King, & all of his babies. There are quite a few there! Tiny turtles, medium, large & extra large turtles. I LOVE turtles. I had one as a kid; a family down the street from me stole it & ate it! (No joke) So ever since I have had a thing for them. Even got bit by one in Barbados Nov 2009, on one of those “swim with the turtle excursions”, I figured I touched him so he touched me. But I had to turn away when I felt a lump in my throat, because of the one who has lost his flipper. He was chomping @ his now invisible flipper as if to show me what happened. I can’t help but think they can fix him…can’t they?? They put a back fin on a dolphin & he got put back into the sea. I don’t think he made it, but @ least give the guy a chance:( I composed myself, gave the guy a couple of pets, & told him mommy loves you. Walked back to the front noticed a little guy in one of the tubs, picked him up & said you’re just a tiny little baby aren’t you? Brother King asked that I put him into another tub, because he was too small to be in the tub he was in. We thanked Brother King paid him extra & walked outside, squirted everyone’s hands with hand sanitizer, I don’t think your “supposed” to touch them, due to bacteria or otherwise, but again they touched me too:)

On our drive away from the Turtles G was telling us about the large home on that side of the Island, the owners of this & that, which nationality owns this property & that one. This side of the Island the ocean is a bit (a lot) rougher than Lower Bay. I don’t think we would try to swimming here, Even if we could get close to the water. Some new homes being built over here. Beautiful views of some of the nearby Islands. Time for a beer! G takes us to COCO’S Place. Coco himself was there along with a friend—Fred. Coco is a very nice guy. Very cool, very laid back. Told us a few stories about some of the surrounding restaurants, I told him I read about one that was a bit too LOUD! He said this is true…but people want to eat “on the water”. You CAN see the water from Coco’s as well. Now Fred was quite the character. On our ferry ride into Port Elizabeth K & I both noticed a sail boat with a broken mast….what a bummer we said. Well guess who owns the bummer? Fred that’s who! We got a kick out of meeting the guy with the broken mast. Of course we felt bad for the guy; Fred did say he was doing something about it in the next day or two. Again what a character! Had a beer, said our goodbyes & told Coco we would return in a few nights for dinner.

Lunch anyone?? So I tell G that “this place” is supposed to have the best Rotis on the Island. He said I don’t think so. K says we’ve never had one, dying to try one, why don’t you take us to the place that does. Ok G said & off we went again. But 1st he took us up to the “cannons” what a view! The cannons are cool, I’m not sure if they represent something good or bad. But they are still there, & to see the enemy coming from that far away with that much fire power. Whew, that’s a lot to think about. There were also 2-rasta guys for one of the political party’s up there doing well...what Rasta guys do. We had seen them earlier—hard to miss a small sidekick type vehicle with a giant yellow megaphone on top. We did not have to ask who they were voting for. Took some pictures, weird these giant cactus grow in the Caribbean, never seen that before, but we would see more. Back down the hill to L'Auberge for our Rotis. Can I say large & super Yummy?? They were so hot inside; I don’t know what the outside is made of? Seemed to be a cross between a tortilla & a flatbread? It was sooo good K & G finished all of theirs, I could not. K was begging me for my leftover 1/2 the next day for lunch! I got a kick out of sitting in the Anthony Bourdain chair as I am a foodie & a fan:) Couple more “Hi-roons” & back thru town. One of the political parties was having a “meeting”. Defiantly different than any I had heard or seen of. Talk, talk, and talk---MUSIC! Talk, talk, talk, MUSIC! Talk, talk, talk, MUSIC! Hey what ever gets your people rallied?:)

I also wanted to stop @ the Gingerbread. I read about the pastries & croissants. We went in & it was later in the day…so not much left:( we did manage to get a couple of cookies some carrot cake, & some rum cake! & a few more beers! All were very good; we got them to go for later @ De Reef. It was time to let G return to his family, as we have had him long enough today. We were sure to see him again soon. Offered him another round…he said he should get going, maybe another night. K & I got ready for the BBQ @ Keegan’s. Just a hop & skip up the road from De Reef. We sat @ a table 1st but it started to rain a little, so we moved up to the bar where we could see the little lady cooking up a storm. K got the fish & I got the chicken (wings). We both ordered the “plates”, which means it came with saffron rice & coleslaw & something else I don’t remember what it was…But it was ALL GOOD! A gentleman came up & ordered the chicken. He was sitting @ the bar too, when his chicken came, the lady said to him no plate? He said “some of us don’t live here part time”. I knew exactly what he meant by this. A another round of beers @ Keegan’s a short walk home to De Reef, & One too many cocktails on the upper balcony! I tell ya pear vodka & Bequia's juice in the carton's are just too good! We could still hear the “meeting” going on in the harbor from here. What a day!

More to come.

KNK

Mentioned in this post
Bequia
Bequia
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report part 2

If you like the local food try the Pelau (probably spelled wrong) at Brooklines also the restaurant next to Rolands Gourmet Market has very reasonable lunch specials, we had stewed beef with what seemed to be a pumpkin risotto and a salad for $15 EC.

The views from Fort Hamilton (I think the cannons you mentioned) are amazing. Enjoy your holiday and try the beach BBQ and music night at Jacks, it was the best time we had in Bequia.

Mentioned in this post
Bequia
Bequia
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
2. Re: Trip report part 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2012, 09:16
Get answers to your questions about St. Vincent and the...