We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP - Itinerary Trouble -

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
HELP - Itinerary Trouble -

We hope to find help here - we planned a week-long vacation to St. Lucia at the Jalousie (a rare treat). It was extended to include a once-in-a-lifetime 9 or 10 days in the Grenadines, with one day on the Friendship Rose.

We heard about the volcano hike and waterfalls on St. Vincent and figured we should stop there for a few nights. Then onto Bequia. And then onto hopefully the best part of the trip - perfect closer - a few nights somewhere for perfect peace and relaxation with good service & accommodations, a beautiful beach so the kids could swim and hang out (and possibly a pool).

Originally we chose to end the trip with Petit St. Vincent. This was one of the drivers behind a stay at St. Vincent (e.g. if staying at one St. Vincent, why not check out both). But after digging deep into reviews here we became very troubled. PSV looks to have outdated, possibly decrepit accommodations with poor swimming beaches, cockroaches, snakes in sinks, and miserable service no air conditioning or docks locks either.

Can anyone comment on the current state of PSV? Should we change our plans? If selecting from the best islands on the Grenadines (and the nicest accommodations - without being stuffy) which would you chose?

Would PSV even be on your list or are there better places?

What kind of itinerary would you suggest?

Where would you plan the "finale" for your trip?

If starting your trip at the nice Jalousie plantation in St. Lucia, where would be the next natural points to visit on a trip through the Grenadines?

We are looking for something that would work for our family, provide the nice accommodation, the nicest beaches, etc. We certainly don't want to end the trip in the least desirable spot and we wish to avoid all the horror stories mentioned by posters who have had trouble at PSV.

World
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP - Itinerary Trouble -

erm I'm confused. Petit St. Vincent is nowhere near the main island of St. Vincent.. PSV is south of the Tobago Cays and Union Island.

As an alternative to a land stay in the Grenadines, have you considered a crewed charter? 9 days would bwe an ideal period to see much of what the country has to offer and identify the places you want to come back to next time!

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP - Itinerary Trouble -

Thank you for taking time to read all that and reply -

A charter is a good idea but from what we saw the cost was prohibitive. We're also landlubbers so not sure how well the kids and I would do with too much time on board a boat. Figured we would sink the extra money into some special accommodations.

The plan was as follows:

- Fly to St. Vincent from St. Lucia and stay 3 nights at Young Island (is that enough??)

- From St. Vincent ferry to Bequia and stay 4 nights (is this enough time at Bequia??)

- Consider a day trip to Mustique from Bequia (if it is worth giving up a day in Bequia)

- Take the Tobago Cays Cruise for a day

- Skip the ride back to Bequia on the Cruise and hire boat to Petit SV from Cays

- Stay Petit St. Vincent for our final three nights

- Boat back to Union and fly back to St. Lucia for our flight home

We thought Petit St. Vincent would be a nice finale to our trip but are having serious second thoughts. We were really looking for a good feeling at the end of the trip - a finale with a wonderful beach, swimming for the kids, quiet and relaxation and some nice accommodation as well.

We are going to keep Bequia and St. Lucia in there for sure, and probably St. Vincent though the accommodations on Young Island look like they need serious refreshing.

Should we:

- scrap St. Vincent altogether and go directly to Bequia

- spend more than 4 nights in Bequia (e.g. head back there after the Cays cruise)

- skip Petit St. Vincent altogether?

Would we get the best feel from spending the end of our trip at:

- Petit St. Vincent

- Canouan at the Canouan Bay resort

- Union Island (not sure where to stay here for a nice finish to the trip)

Looking for the best scenery, beaches and some major relaxation before heading home that's for sure. We've got 9 to 10 days in the CAys altogether and right now it is split between 3 nights St. Vincent, 4 Bequia (if that is enough) and 3 at Petit St. Vincent or somewhere else. The trip to the Cays falls after the fourth night on Bequia.

Any further detailed replies would sure be great - have to get at this today or tonight.

Many thanks

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP - Itinerary Trouble -

Hello to Help!

My wife and I have been to many, many islands throughout the Carribean. Including St. Lucia's Jalousie Plantation . We have even been to all of the Grenadine islands with the exception of Canouan. The setting at Jalousie is wonderful. Bequia is beautiful. I highly recommend both. But, I must say, every year we return to PSV. You are right, there are no air conditioners, no TV's, and limited cell service. But, of all the locations we have been to, this is only one of two we make it a habit to return to.

The beach on the Atlantic side of the island is great. You won't beat the snorkling here. The sunsets on the West end are breathtaking. The staff are the most frendliest of all the Caribbean destinations we have been to. And even though the cottages do not have A/C, they are 5 star. You and your family will grow closer than you can imagine. You are your own company.

Jalousie...Bequia...PSV --- what a dream trip!! Enjoy!!

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP - Itinerary Trouble -

Travelling - awesome. You are great to reply so positively and I am now getting other positive comments from a few posters that have been to PSV as well.

What about rooms there? Aware that requests are not always honored, but any advice on how to have a greater chance of getting the cabin desired? We were going to ask for 3 - we like that it faces the Atlantic side (so good few, maybe a little cooler) but mostly we liked the interior, fixings, and the fresh, white linens/bedding.

Are there any other cottages that have the same decor and amenities as 3? Are there any other choice cottages that we should also request? What about 18, 6, or 7 to 10?? Does anyone have any photos of these other cottages?

So there it is - our trip will end with PSV!! Now what to do with this young island thing?

A few people say it is charming and nice. Others say it is awful. The kids would like the pool and the floating bar, and water taxi, parents would be disappointed w/rooms.

With PSV at the end of our trip, our options are narrowed to three:

- Stay as is - 7 nights SL, 3 YI, 4 Beq. 3 PSV

- Take off one night from YI (& spend it in SL, or Beq) - 7 SL, 2 YI, 5 Beq, 3 PSV

OR 8 SL, 2YI, 4 Beq, 3 PSV

- Eliminate the stay at YI altogether - 8 SL, 6 Beq, 3 PSV

My only concern with completely eliminating YI is that when we are going past, we will always wonder - it might have been fun for the kids.

My other concern relates to activities in SV - we need to see one set of Falls (2 would be good but might not be possible given time), see the Pirates of C. set, stop in a the town and do the hike to the volcano.

We could not do it all in one day-trip and not sure if it would work to ferry back and forth more than once. Also, we hike over here, but getting kids up at 6 or 7 am and getting them to hike in the heat and humidity, up and down the volcano, and then carting them back onto the ferry to get back to Bequia might be crazy.

Please let me know if I am off here as I could be totally wrong about this all. I'm thinking if we were to O/N on YI then the kids could at least sleep just a little longer in the am (e.g. no ferry check-in, no ferry ride, etc.).

If it were just DH and I then we would simply ferry from Beq.

SV looks gorgeous though - would be nice to go there for longer just to enjoy the beautiful scenery - it is so lush.

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP - Itinerary Trouble -

Uupdate - we have kept our reservations at PSV based on many posts - thank you to everyone for helping to instill us with confidence regarding this part of our trip.

Our options now are as follows:

- 7 SLucia, 2 Young I., 5 Beq., 3 PSV

- 8 SLucia, 2 Young I., 4 Beq., 3 PSV

- 8 SLucia, 6 Beq., 3 PSV

We are having trouble deciding if we should dump YI. Many posters agree that the interiors of the cottages there are badly in need of updating and not at all worth their price. However, something else tells me that the kids might like it there - with the hammocks, water taxi, size of the island, nice pool (and whole Johnny Depp thing).

There has been a great suggestion by a couple of posters who know there stuff - this is to simply dump YI altogether, stay an extra night or 2 in Beq. (so 5 or 6 nights there) and do SV as a day trip using the fast ferry.

If our stomachs can handle the fast ferry no problem (sounds like this is not an issue) I wonder if the kids can handle getting up that early (8 am ferry) and then spending the day hiking up to Soufriere and back, and sightseeing, in the heat etc.

Has anyone taken kids across to SV for the day on the ferry just to do the hike etc.? Has it been an issue (our kids are between 10 and 13).

Which itinerary out of the short list above looks best at this point? Please keep in mind that if we stay in St.L an 8th night there is no extra cost.

6. Re: HELP - Itinerary Trouble -

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 20:18
Get answers to your questions about St. Vincent and the...