We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferries/ mail boat down Grenadines chain to Grenada

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ferries/ mail boat down Grenadines chain to Grenada

My husband and I are planning a trip to Grenada and SVG in January, 2013. We are considering flying to Grenada, then a one way flight to St. Vincent, then ferries down the Grenadines to Union Island, Carriacou and back to Grenada, flying home from Grenada. We would be spending a few days on each island.

Is this a feasible trip?

Unfortunately, I am prone to seasickness and am wondering how rough typically are the ferry crossings? Also, I understand the boat that normally provides service from Union to Carriacou is not currently operating?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferries/ mail boat down Grenadines chain to Grenada

You have a few choices. You could just start in Grenada and go north and skip the flight.

Carriacou to Union, either mail boat or a water taxi. Be sure and check in with customs both leaving Grenada and entering SVG. Union is good for a couple of days. Explore the Tobago Cays from here. Water taxi to Mayreau. Good for one opr two days. Then ferry north. I would go direct to Bequia and skip Canuoan, but you might choose not to.

Options from Union/Mayreua north are the Jaden Sun, the Barracuda, or even the Friendship Rose or other Bequia tour boats. All crossings will be rough. Take your pills and gut it out.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferries/ mail boat down Grenadines chain to Grenada

Thanks for your help! Do you know what days the mail boat goes from Carriacou to Union?

Escondido...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferries/ mail boat down Grenadines chain to Grenada

It's my understanding that northward is rougher than southward. Or do I have that backwards?

The MV Jasper, last I heard, goes round trip Union-Carriacou-Union on Mondays and Thursdays. Immigration is required either direction if you are staying in the destination country. It departs very early morning from Union and leaves Carriacou on the return trip around noon. The Jasper captain can facilitate that.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferries/ mail boat down Grenadines chain to Grenada

Winter passages between the islands are rougher than summer passages. January is probably the windiest and therefore roughest month: this is when the strong "Christmas" trade winds blow. And these winds tend to have a bit more north in them, so northwards is rougher than southwards.

But before this scares you away: not ALL of the passages are rough or very long. From Carriacou to Union the first half of the passage is fairly protected, as is the final 25%. So probably on a fast mail boat only 20 minutes tops of rough seas! Union to Mayreau is very short, and Mayreau to Canouan is short and fairly protected. The long passage is Canouan to either Mustique or Bequia. From Bequia to St Vincent the open section is probably the roughest of the trip. In all cases if you are on the larger boats the problem should be minimal: it would be a shame to abandon your plans because of fear of sea sickness!

DO THIS TRIP!!! Mayreau is an island time forgot: it has had an electrical grid for less than 10 years, funky restaurants and reggae and one of the Caribbean's best beaches at Salt Whistle Bay. From there you can make a day trip to the Tobago Keys and snorkel with the turtles. Bequia is absolutely charming, with lots of accomodation and restaurant choices and beautiful beaches. If your pockets are deep, go to Mustique and stay a night or two at the Firefly: pure magic. On St Vincent rent a cab for the day, visit the black sand beaches and go up the Mesopotamia valley and visit the Montreal gardens. Gorgeous.

This would not be a fairly adventurous trip and not everything will go according to plan (it is the Caribbean, after all) but it is generally safe, fun and will give you a lifetime of memories.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferries/ mail boat down Grenadines chain to Grenada

Winter passages between the islands are rougher than summer passages. January is probably the windiest and therefore roughest month: this is when the strong "Christmas" trade winds blow. And these winds tend to have a bit more north in them, so northwards is rougher than southwards.

But before this scares you away: not ALL of the passages are rough or very long. From Carriacou to Union the first half of the passage is fairly protected, as is the final 25%. So probably on a fast mail boat only 20 minutes tops of rough seas! Union to Mayreau is very short, and Mayreau to Canouan is short and fairly protected. The long passage is Canouan to either Mustique or Bequia. From Bequia to St Vincent the open section is probably the roughest of the trip. In all cases if you are on the larger boats the problem should be minimal: it would be a shame to abandon your plans because of fear of sea sickness!

DO THIS TRIP!!! Mayreau is an island time forgot: it has had an electrical grid for less than 10 years, funky restaurants and reggae and one of the Caribbean's best beaches at Salt Whistle Bay. From there you can make a day trip to the Tobago Keys and snorkel with the turtles. Bequia is absolutely charming, with lots of accomodation and restaurant choices and beautiful beaches. If your pockets are deep, go to Mustique and stay a night or two at the Firefly: pure magic. On St Vincent rent a cab for the day, visit the black sand beaches and go up the Mesopotamia valley and visit the Montreal gardens. Gorgeous.

This would not be a fairly adventurous trip and not everything will go according to plan (it is the Caribbean, after all) but it is generally safe, fun and will give you a lifetime of memories.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
636 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferries/ mail boat down Grenadines chain to Grenada

Oh wow, this is exactly the type of trip we'd like to plan in a couple of years. Having been to the southern Grenadines, and going to Grenada for our 7th time, we are looking for a catamaran or somehow, so that we can:

a) fly from Winnipeg Canada to St. vincent; stay a couple days; then

b) charter something to take us through the "upper Grenadines" (for sure Bequia and Mustique).... then carry on past Tobago Cays, Union, Palm, maybe stop again in Saltwhistle (I agree - stunning!!!), maybe another stop in Petit St vincent (our favorite island), then either Carriacou for a couple days; or "home" to Grenada for 2 weeks.

Wondering if the first part of this is totally doable in 1 week and if so, if anyone knows of anyone willing to do this at a reasonable price.....? Thanks.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferries/ mail boat down Grenadines chain to Grenada

You may want to check with islandtimeholidays.com. We took this exact trip 3 years ago( St Vincent to Grenada) on Atlantis II with Maria and Fritz. Great trip and fun crew. They can spend any amount of time that you want at each of the places you mentioned.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
636 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferries/ mail boat down Grenadines chain to Grenada

Thanks so much for the lead, I will check them out! btw this doesn't happen to be Fritz a real estate agent in Grenada???

Connecticut
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferries/ mail boat down Grenadines chain to Grenada

Use this link for information on the connection between Carriacou and Union: www.grenadinesconnection.com

Connecticut
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferries/ mail boat down Grenadines chain to Grenada

It is a wonderful trip. Personally I would start in ST Vincent and end in Grenada. Use this link for information on getting between Carriacou and Union: www.grenadinesconnection.com

Get answers to your questions about St. Vincent and the...