We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windjammer cruises

Vallejo, California
Level Contributor
40 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Windjammer cruises

Hello!

FYI the MANDALAY is back to her old glory and better than before! I sailed Dec-Jan. out of Grenada and she has been reconfigured and refurbished. Many of the crew are from the old company. Most with promotions. OK except Mashup. He will probably die aboard as the head bartender. ☺

I expected Captain Sly to remember me but there were also 5 others who remembered not just my name but some of the stuff we had done. VERY COOL! They've been operating since June 2012 under the name of Windjammer Sailing Adventures. if you want to Google them. I'm planning to go again on a 13 day cruise from Grenada up to ST.Lucia and back next Dec. I can't wait to get back aboard again. WINDJAMMER LIVES ON!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Windjammer cruises

Thanks for the update! When you get time it would be great if you would post more about activities (ie: fishing? snorkeling? island stops? happy island? etc. Thinking about booking and have spoken with Reservations. How did you find the size/comfort of the cabins? Had seen the Mandalay so many times from the Grenadines and I was sad when they went out of business and I thought we would never sail on her! Now a new opportunity is an exciting prospect.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
804 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Windjammer cruises

I'm headed down island in October to board the Mandalay. Like the previous poster Sirius_Business I too had sailed with Windjammer Barefoot Cruises many times. Need I say more best vacations ever. Now that the Mandalay is an option I too can't wait to get back on board. Looking forward to catching up with old friends and making new. No doubt the new company will not only meet my expectations but probably far exceed. Yes I am setting the bar high but knowing some of the people involved there's no doubt in my mind. Will definitely post a report come November. Obxpat if you have a Facebook acct do a search and look for Windjammer Sailing Fans. The company website is www.sailwindjammer.com

Vallejo, California
Level Contributor
40 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Windjammer cruises

Hi SANDY!

Nice to hear you are still kicking and going going back to sea. Too bad you aren't going on the Dec. 13 day trip as it will get up to St. Vincent and I remember you had close friends there. Honestly the Mandalay is in the best shape I have ever seen her. It was too cool when some of the previous crew still remembered me. Most had upgraded their rank and that made me smile.

Oxpat

I find it amusing you live on a beach named for my family \;-))

You can fish off the side any time you want. Some bring hand reels for this. Snorkeling was fairly good but I went in Dec. and we had a bit of rain the 1st few days.

Yes we stop at Islands.

Union island, Fun bar, bring change and EC for the best prices I saw schools of Squid close to shore.

Mayreau nice quiet beach day and excellent "Cultural Tour" in the evening as long as you are up to "The hill", Say HEY to Robert Righteous for me if you make it up there. Please donate to the Mayreau school if you can. Books, Pencils, paper, etc are appreciated.

Bequia, Nice bookstore for souvenirs. even real scrimshaw as they are allowed to harvest a whale or 2 each year. OUTSTANDING MODEL BOAT BUILDING. I had Mac's Lobster pizza for lunch and it cannot be beat. OK Unless you ask for BACON on top. Am I bad for eating it twice in one day??? Jack's bar on Princess Margaret beach is a good place to spend the afternon too. I recommend getting a LIFE SUPPORT case for your brand new IPhone5. I discovered mine had little problem swimming inside it's Otterbox but continuing to breathe was a serious problem for it.

Tobago Keys. Very quiet beach stop unless a FOO FOO tries to encroach, although it COULD give you the opportunity to go pirate on the CHI-CHI people. Sorry....... One of my favorite stories! Thanks Tom. You can also walk to the other side of the island for some seclusion. Do NOT turn up the trail to the left........... Unless you are looking fo rthe "LOO". Do take note of the large hole the land Crabs dig though as you can break an ankle if you are stup...Dum.... uh... not watching where you are stepping. DO take the launch to the Turtle Sanctuary nearby. Good snorkeling there too.

If you do go, ask Cap't Sly exactly WHERE in space he came from. ALso if you go you will be on Grenada. Do yourself a favor and get hooked up with MANDOO for all transportation and tours there. I've used him many times and have never been disappointed.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Windjammer cruises

Thanks for the info. I've spent countless weeks wandering through the Grenadines. Longest stay to date was a month with 2 weeks Bequia, one split between Union and Mayreau and one in Grenada. I love Happy Island and was there when it first opened. Robert has put a hurtin on us with those strong rum punches. He is the first one who explained the Mandalay "cultural tour" to us. One evening he asked what our plans were. We told him we had a full day planned and would get to bed early. That made him laugh out loud! He told us the Mandalay was in and it would not be quiet that night b4 midnight. We fully enjoyed joining that party! What a Happy Group. His smiling face is always a highlight on Mayreau and I travel there with a small suitcase or backpack stuffed with school supplies. The suitcase comes in handy for a child going to school off the island. (Robert always appreciates packs of pens and order pads) I am so glad the Mandalay is sailing again and can help the school. I know that support was sorely missed. Sunset and cocktails with dinner at Dennis is hard to beat too! I have so many fond memories of that Region. I've enjoyed spending all different Seasons on Bequia. My favorite was in the Fall with great temperature and less people. Clear water and smaller dive groups. For such a small island I discover something new each trip. While most US travelers choose to fly through Barbados, once I discovered Grenada it is my place to connect and spend a few days in transit to the Grenadines. Getting away from the crowded Grand Anse and exploring that Island is incredible and the food on Grenada is so good...nutmeg ice cream, fresh seafood and nutmeg topped cocktails! I used to love to wake up and see the Mandalay raising it's sails leaving Port Elizabeth and I have some photos of the sun setting as she sat in the harbor, once picked some divers up from the Mandalay with Dive Bequia. Saw her in Grenada and off Mayreau. Somehow I just never booked a sail and then, sadly she was gone. Seems appropriate to book a trip! My Husband sailed a 55' boat for years and since we now have power boats I think he would really like this trip. Glad fishing is allowed as I was not sure about that.

Won't be Dec this year as we are spending the Holidays in Costa Rica...I just need to pick a time and book a trip back to my favorite vacation spot, this time with the Mandalay! In the meantime looking forward to your reviews and photos! Come on down to Jensen Beach, it's not a bad place to be!

5. Re: Windjammer cruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about St. Vincent and the...
Recent Conversations