We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Week Vacation to St. Vincent & the Grenadines

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
1 Week Vacation to St. Vincent & the Grenadines

Hello all you experienced travelers,

I've booked a 1 week stay in St. Vincent and the Grenadines and I'm very excited. I've visited the destination's website but I would like to hear from those of you who have already experienced the island. Is there anything in particular that I should list as a 'must do' item? I would love to get some ideas. Feel free to suggest things in the grenadine islands as well.

Thanks,

Tornia.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,056 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Week Vacation to St. Vincent & the Grenadines

I suggest you set aside a couple of hours and read through several pages of previous posts here on the forum. A real wealth of info from Visitors and some Residents! Also a whole section here on TA on "things to do". You will fill a week quickly! For suggestions, it would help to know what time of year you will be there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Week Vacation to St. Vincent & the Grenadines

Thanks Obxpat. I'll set aside some time to read through the previous posts but I'll be there the 3rd week in May.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Week Vacation to St. Vincent & the Grenadines

Fitness level, interests, ages of people, any clues for us?

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,056 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Week Vacation to St. Vincent & the Grenadines

So Many "must do" items! For me it was get certified to scuba dive.....Dive Bequia

Relax on a float and drink in the beauty of the pristine water.....Lower Bay

Eat fresh local seafood in a casual setting.....Tanti Pearl's, Porthole, Keegan's Sat BBQ, Coco's......

Visit the Tobago Cays! ck options for late May (Friendship Rose, Fantasea Tours)

Walk a lovely beach picking up seaglass at sunrise....Lower Bay and Princess Margaret

Buy yummy fresh fruit and veggies.....Rasta Market

Visit a Waterfall....dark view falls St Vincent

Feel your body relax strolling along the waterfront....Belmont Walkway

Hop in a taxi for a terrific Island Tour with a friendly local taxi driver.....Fat Man Taxi

see! This scrapes the surface only! Don't worry. Few people visit Bequia only once ;-) Google Bequia This Week for an idea of weekly "happenings" online and pick up a current copy when you arrive at most businesses!

Edited: 25 April 2013, 16:09
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 Week Vacation to St. Vincent & the Grenadines

This traveler did not say Bequia. They said SVG.

Hike the volcano

Tour each coast, they are very different

Snorkel and/or dive

Whale watch

Walk Kingstown and its markets and neighborhoods

Tour the Botanical Gardens

And more I am forgetting.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,056 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 Week Vacation to St. Vincent & the Grenadines

Good Point! "one week stay in St Vincent And The Grenadines" could be anywhere??? Mayreau, Union, Mainland St Vincent, Bequia....a combination of more than one island? A lot of territory in SVG. Each island fantastic imo!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 Week Vacation to St. Vincent & the Grenadines

Thanks guys. Great suggestions. Now I'm really excited. For those of you who asked, I'm only 25 and quite fit and very open to exploring the island. I'm very adventurous and would love exploring the natural beauty of the island (waterfalls, beaches, gardens etc). I'm not a strong swimmer (sad, I know) but I love the ocean and would love exploring if a glass bottomed boat is available. Basically, I want an action packed vacation and would be open to exploring 1 or 2 of the other islands in the Grenadines.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,056 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 Week Vacation to St. Vincent & the Grenadines

So...assume you are flying into mainland St Vincent SVD? Do you have lodgings booked?

Lucky you to be going at 25! Personally I would stay a night or two on the mainland (ck Hazeco tours website for ideas on things to do) it is not a great idea to wander the remote mountainous areas on your own (ganja farmers don't take it kindly)! The beaches are mostly very safe and inexpensive van style buses run about.

You can take a ferry or the more "adventurous" mailboat MV Barracuda for a lovely trip down to the Southern Grenadines (more remote and much less populated). Mayreau and Union are good ones to explore. Union Island often called "Little Tahiti" has great day sails to the awesome Tobago Cays. You HAVE to at least try a snorkel in the amazingly clear waters of SVG! Mayreau a tiny island and kind of a step back in time (Dennis' Guest House). Come back up by air (daily flights) or the fast speed ferry. A night or two on Bequia and back to the mainland to fly out (45 min ferry ride).

Or just split the time between mainland St Vincent and Bequia which are easy to visit together as they are only a few miles apart. Lots to do. These islands tend to have very friendly and helpful locals. Be sure to ask questions, never know what you may miss if you don't!

Barbados
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 Week Vacation to St. Vincent & the Grenadines

Check out the Ins & Outs guide to SVG at http://www.insandoutsofsvg.com

Arcata, California
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 Week Vacation to St. Vincent & the Grenadines

We can't rave enough about our one week catamaran trip around St. Vincent and the Grenadines! We sailed on the Tradewinds' 56 foot catamaran "Inspiration" with Captain Dirk, First Mate Joanna, and four other great guests. It was absolutely fantastic! Dirk and Joanna were an organized team who knew what they were doing and made the best of every minute of the week. We stopped at seven of the islands, Bequia, Union, Mustique, Mayreau, Tobago Cays, Petit St. Vincent, spent a day in the National Marine Reserve with the most wonderful snorkeling in several places, and back to St. Vincent. Along the way we visited many historical sites, hiked to the best view points, and snorkeled or dived in reefs and coves with a wide variety of marine life. We had three wonderful meals each day on board, prepared by Joanna and served by Dirk, and two dinners on land. We moored in quiet coves overnight, with no night motors or noise-- just quiet sea. The best party? A "Jump Up" with a steel drum band on Bequia. Superb sunrises and sunsets, sailing quietly, and hours of daily snorkeling, as well as island adventures made the most of our exciting week.

Get answers to your questions about St. Vincent and the...