We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island hopping

Somerset, UK
Level Contributor
489 posts
217 reviews
Save Topic
Island hopping

I have booked flights to St Lucia and am planning to pop over to SVG for a couple of weeks to do some island hopping.

My question is how easy is it to get inter-island ferries. Which islands are easy to visit? How reliable are the ferries? Can you book ahead and is it necessary?

Finally if we spend time on St Vincent and Bequia, is it worth hiring a car?

I am in the early planning stage and any suggestions are welcome.

World
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island hopping

It's relatively easy to island hop by plane/ferry through the Grenadines from St. Vincent to Grenada via the likes of SVG Air/Jaden Sun/Admiral/Bequia Express/etc. The French or formerly French Islands (Guadeloupe, Les Saintes, Marie Galante, Dominique, Martinique, St. Barts) can be reached via Air Antilles/Air Martinique/Expresse-des-iles/Jeans for Freedom/Voyager etc.. Getting from St. Lucia in the first instance, involves a flight or long ferry ride to (Guadeloupe) or a plane (to St. Vincent).

In Bequia it is not worth renting a car - the local dollar buses and taxis are inexpensive and reliable, and the whole island is walkable. That's my opinion. Lots of people do rent. If you're set on renting, arranging it in advance is a good idea.

Saint Vincent is a much larger island but, again, the local dollar buses are a pretty good way to get around. Roads have improved markedly in the past 20 years, but driving is still somewhat hair-raising, especially on the days when the banana boats are loading and all the trucks are racing for Kingstown.

Hope this helps

Edited: 12 July 2014, 19:13
2. Re: Island hopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about St. Vincent and the...