We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flight connections at SJU for SVD

Des Moines, Iowa
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
flight connections at SJU for SVD

I am traveling to St Vincent next month to visit my daughter, who is a Peace Corps Volunteer. I have Delta tickets to SJU and will purchase Liat tickets from SJU to SVD. I have to be concerned with costs and am trying to get there in one day to avoid overnight stays along the way. The Delta flight lands at 1:45pm and I was planning to take the Liat 383 flight out at 3:25pm. I have tried to locate a map of the SJU airport but cannot find a map with any details about gates, etc. I understand the walk could be long and I do have to pick up checked luggage and transfer it to Liat. Is 1 hr and 40 min. enough time to make that connection? Do I go through SVD customs before or after the Liat flight? If anyone has experience or suggestions, I would be happy to hear them. I need to arrive in SVD in time to catch the Van/bus to my daughter's town.

Thanks, Jo

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flight connections at SJU for SVD

You should have no real problems since you will be transferring within one country. I find immigration to be slow in PR.

The airport is not huge. I would think you will have lots of time. The only problem we ever had was a LIAT flight that left early from SJU which we almost missed.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
821 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flight connections at SJU for SVD

Hence the beloved nickname for LIAT "Leave Island Any Time"!

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flight connections at SJU for SVD

Just did it on Thursday landing late from Charlotte on US Air. We got in at 2:10 and it was a mad rush. You have to get off and get to luggage and then wait for your bag. Then you have to go though a check in process, you can't just go to the next gate since LIAT is not a partner. Since we did not know where the LIAT check in desk was located, people kept directing us to the security gate and of course they speak Spanish there. Their desk is one floor up from baggage then go right and then left away from security when you get into that hall. We got there just in time to check in but you still have to go back through security just like US mainland. I cannot brag enough about the LIAT staff at the check in desk, particularly Jose who shepherded us to gold member check in at security since the line was very long. We still had to go though the usual stuff and my husband has 2 replaced knees so he got stuck with the TSA. We made it with 3 minutes to spare, got on our flight and made it to St. Vincent. People complain about LIAT but our experience was wonderful thanks to Jose. So your big stressor is going to be if your flight into San Juan is one time and it is going to be tight.

Des Moines, Iowa
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: flight connections at SJU for SVD

I especially appreciate the airport info, as even a call to Delta airlines could not help me find a map of the airport, only that I will be getting off in the Bravo B wing. Your help getting from baggage to Liat could make the difference in successfully connecting with my flight.

Hopefully I will get to meet Jose and repeat your experience. Thanks for your help.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
305 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flight connections at SJU for SVD

Does this help?

…150m.com/docs/airportguide/terminalmaps.html

Des Moines, Iowa
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: flight connections at SJU for SVD

Yes, this is the only map I have found, but I can't seem to find any details about where the Liat or Delta gates are located.

Thanks

Dallas
Level Contributor
154 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flight connections at SJU for SVD

I too have missed the flight to St Vincent from SJU. The worst experience was during the Christmas holiday. LIAT left early and AA was late. We arrived on the 20th and the next flight available was on the 25th! I had to charter a plane. Cost me over $2,000. The one great thing about Barbados is you have SEVERAL ways to get to SV from Barbados (LIAT, SVG, Mustique Air etc...). We will never go through SJU again. Granted you are not traveling during the holiday, but keep in mind you have ONE way to get to SV from there. So check early about any airline strikes. LIAT sems to have one every year or so.

Good luck!

8. Re: flight connections at SJU for SVD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 23:19
Get answers to your questions about St. Vincent