We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Impact of Pirates Of the Caribbean filming on Young Island?

Washington, DC
5 posts
Save Topic
Impact of Pirates Of the Caribbean filming on Young Island?

Hi,

I'd love to take my honeymoon at Young Island in June, but I'm concerned about the impact of the filming of Pirates Of the Caribbean.

The last thing we want is to be overrun by Hollywood production crews and personalities on our escapist adventure :-)

IMDB indicates (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383574/) that filming will be from the end of Feb through December, but I've seen other references that actual filming will be in April & May.

So I guess I have two questions: can anyone confirm when the cast & crew will actually be in St Vincent?

And does anyone have any idea how the experience of Young Island specifically or St. Vincent generally would be effected by the presence of the film crew?

Thanks!

Patrick

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Fort Charlotte
Historic Sites, Military Bases & Facilities, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
15,483 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Impact of Pirates Of the Caribbean filming on Young Island?

Have you considered Palm Island or petit St. Vincent in the Grenadines? especially PSV is spectacular, plus you can sail around day trips through the Grenedines. (and have a picnic on Mopion, a sand spit with umbrella, fun!) Even Cotton House in Mustique? Bequia is not in the same league as Young Island in my opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Mopion
Mopion
47 Reviews
St. Vincent
Mustique
Mustique
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Bequia
Bequia
World
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Impact of Pirates Of the Caribbean filming on Young Island?

Sadly, the Falls of Baleine are closed due to recent rock/mud slides...check to see if they have reopened when you get there. If so, I definitely agree with the poster who suggests you head up there.

I agree with the poster who says that Young Island (and its other resort island ilk such as Palm, PSV etc) are not in the same league as Bequia. And, not being a resort fan at all, I am so pleased by the difference ! I guess that's what makes the world go round

Mentioned in this post
Bequia
Bequia
Spring, Texas
Level Contributor
154 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Impact of Pirates Of the Caribbean filming on Young Island?

We went with Wayne and two of his Passion powerboats to the Falls of Bailene in December. The rockslides made it somewhat difficult to get up to the Falls. We just had to climb over the bolders. They had built in some steps and poured some concrete in the gaps to make it easier. Having said that, something else may have happened since December 20th 2004.

If you have a chance to go with Wayne on any of his tours,

"DO IT!" He is absolutley the best host with the best equipment in the area. And tell him Tom from the Windjammer, Yankee Clipper said hello!

Later,

Tom

Washington, DC
5 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Impact of Pirates Of the Caribbean filming on Young Island?

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice! They're definitely going to helpful to us in making our decision.

World
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Impact of Pirates Of the Caribbean filming on Young Island?

yes, Tomtoes, the rockfall and mudslide that promoted the Falls of Baleine closure must have taken place after your visit as it was definitely closed in February.

That said, joehumnist, we still took an utterly faboulous day sail ($100US pp) with Friendship Rose from Bequia up the Leeward Coast of St. Vincent - outstanding seamanship, heritage gaff-rigged inter-island schooner, spectacular scenery, great snorkelling complemented by excellent breakfast, elevenses, lunch, afternoon tea and freely flowing wine, beer, rum and soft drinks. The chef used to be with PSV. Highly recommended (as is Passion, if you prefer a catamaran sail)

Mentioned in this post
Bequia
Bequia
Raleigh, North...
2 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Impact of Pirates Of the Caribbean filming on Young Island?

We will be on Young Island Oct 23 - 30, 2005 - will the filming still be going on then? Should this impact our vacation? Thanks, Nancy

World
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Impact of Pirates Of the Caribbean filming on Young Island?

Nancy, I am sure the filming will be over by October...if not, the film is WAY over budget!

New York
5 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Impact of Pirates Of the Caribbean filming on Young Island?

You may want to consider a lovely villa in Spring on Bequia. www.eastwindsvilla.com It is quite and remote. From there you could explore the island and take day trips to the other Grenadines. I hve more info regarding sailing charters if interested.

Mentioned in this post
Bequia
Bequia
Get answers to your questions about St. Vincent