We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying Barbados to Bequia

williamsport, pa
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
flying Barbados to Bequia

Trans Air and SVG have flights to Bequia. My problem is, I have to fly to Barbados on US Air. (it's a miles thing) All of US Air flights, arrive and depart, only on Friday and Sat. All of them arrive at 2:06pm in Barbados. I have found flights to Bequia on the afore mentioned airlines. Anyone out there use them? Any tips for me. Please.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
164 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flying Barbados to Bequia

I recently flew on SVG (booked thru Mustique Air - its all the same) from BGI to Bequia. I arrived in BGI at 2:40pm and the flight out of BGI on SVG was at 4pm and has plenty of time to make the connection. I flew into BGI on a Thursday and out of BGI on a Sunday, so not sure about schedules on Fri and Sat.

It was easy. Arrive at BGI and the SVG folks meet you at the arriving terminal, get your bags and get you off to the departing terminal.

Flight to Bequia was direct on a small SVG plane. Return to BGI was on a Mustique/Grenadines Air plane that was a little bigger and stopped in Canouan before BGI.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
484 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying Barbados to Bequia

Are you sure you found a flight to Bequia on Trans Air? I am under the impression that only SVG Air/Mustique Air fly there.

I flew on Mustique Air out from BGI at 4:00 and it was fine. Its was a 19 seater and took about an hour. (you may or may not stop at Mustique on the way over). If you are looking to save money, on the way back take the ferry from Bequia to St. Vincent (takes an hour) and fly back to BGI on LIAT airlines.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,942 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flying Barbados to Bequia

Maybe TIA air? You can always take LIAT from BGI at 5:10 arriving in St Vincent at 5:50 and then the ferry to Bequia. That is my preferred route! Much less $ and I just enjoy relaxing with a Hairoun and watching the arrival by sea. It is a great way to unwind after a day of flying! The ferry is a real quick ride from the airport and then 45 minutes to Bequia!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flying Barbados to Bequia

Most people fly into St. Vincent and take the ferry over. You are talking about a very small market flying in and out of Bequia.

Mike in Tulsa

New York
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: flying Barbados to Bequia

We just flew last month with Mustique Air RT on a scheduled charter from Barbados to Bequia. It is definitely more costly (about $180 USD pp each way) than the St Vincent/ferry route, but in my opinion worth it. This is mostly because as previously mentioned the Mustique Air people meet you upon arrival in BGI and assist you with luggage and customs, etc. We found the experience to be quite pleasant if you don't mind small planes.

BTW, Mustique Air, SVG Air & TIA Air all operate under the same company name which is Grenadine Airways. If you can swing it, spend the extra cash and do the direct flights in/out of Bequia- saves a lot of time and hassle!! Enjoy your trip- Bequia is a great place!!

World
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flying Barbados to Bequia

my preference is to take Grenadines Airways for the flight TO Bequia thus getting the comfort of a (99%) guaranteed connection and bypassing the huge crowds at customs/immigration etc.

On the way back TO Barbados, I prefer to take LIAT from St. Vincent and get the benefit of a lower price and the opportunity to spend a couple of hours chilling on a Vincy Beach in Villa before catching the flight. The flight arrives before the internationals, so processing time for customs and immigration (which one must go through on this leg) is not a problem.

Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: flying Barbados to Bequia

One word of advice that I haven't seen mentioned before: dress for hot weather. This may seem obvious, but I've seen many folks (usually destined for Mustique) get on that little plane all dressed up with jackets, etc. and I have to chuckle as we sit on the tarmac with no air and they start melting in the heat.

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flying Barbados to Bequia

Leave leeway in flight timings on the return leg, the schedules can be .....lets say "open to interpretation"

toronto
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: flying Barbados to Bequia

In addition to all the good words left for you by other posters, you may want to consider flying on LIAT...it is by far more economical than Mustique or SVG...but they fly to St-Vincent...their timing is good with your arrival and you can make the 6 O'clock or failing that the 7 O'clock ferry to Bequia from St-Vincent...the approx. cost of one way on LiAT is around $35 to $90 depending on time of departure. Their planes are quite comfortable and large, so you can dress the way you want. my

Attention: they are very strict about the weight of the luggage: I believe it is around 23Kilograms IN TOTAL (including hand luggage, even though no one at the counter weighted my laptop- 15 Lbs and back pack- 14lbs)

Another option you may want to consider is coming to Bequia on Mustique and leaving thru St-Vincent on LIAT....

The only draw back with LIAT at Barbados is that you must pass Immigration and customs and go to the main terminal ( a walk of 5min) to check-in with LIAT...but you do have plenty of time...

USA
Level Contributor
390 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: flying Barbados to Bequia

Be sure to check ferry timings from St. Vincent to Bequia.

It could be that the 7 o'clock Admiral Ferry from Kingston to Bequia will not be running on Weekdays in the low season.

Get answers to your questions about Bequia