We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bequia w/Teenagers -where to stay?

Michigan
Level Contributor
455 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Bequia w/Teenagers -where to stay?

We are firming up a trip to Bequia next March, two adults & two kids (ages 16 and 12). Trying to decide where to stay. Choices right now are:

Frangipani - 2 garden units

Gingerbread - 1 room (extra beds)

Moonhole

We've camped at Maho on St. John several times so we're used to being in cramped quarters. Ideally we'd like to find a place that's ocean/beachfront that when the kids get up before we do, they can wander to the beach by themselves. Maybe even find a friend or 2. We all love to snorkel so ideally the beach would be a clean & clear one.

Any recommendations?

Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bequia w/Teenagers -where to stay?

The village apts are very nice.They have studius and 1 & 2 bedroom apts with a/c.The owners val&george are fantastic people.They have a greatview of admiralty bay and a 90 second walk to the water.and belmont walkway.We stayed there last jan for a month and it was great.they also have kayaks included. Ricardo

Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bequia w/Teenagers -where to stay?

lower bay has the best beach .there are quite a few places to stay on the beach .I will let some of the folks that stayed on lower bay give you there expert advice.Over to you pattie and curiousx.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bequia w/Teenagers -where to stay?

I would have to second the lower bay area. Your choices of Port Elizabeth are good too, and your kids could head up and down the walkway and enjoy the sites, however I would not swim in that area. For swimming and snorkeling I would consider lower bay, not to mention better beach area. We stayed at Keegans and plan to stay there again this year. Another option is DeReef Apartments which has great reviews as well. DeReef might work very well for you as they have 1 and 2 bedroom units that are across street from the beach and two levels, some with views of the beach. Many nice restaurants and bars in that area as well. Adults could enjoy a few coctails which the young explore the beach and water and still be in sight. Taxi to Port Elizabeth and town to visit the Rasta Market and shops and restaurants. Ask for Fat Man Taxi, he is warm, friendly and very informative. Fat Man will help with any questions or suggestions you might need.

We will be there in March as well, during the Easter Regatta. When in March are you planning on going? If it is anytime close to the Easter Regatta I would suggest you get your room reserved as soon as possible. We'll be sailing for the first portion of our trip and then spending time during the regatta on Bequia.

Feel free to let me know if I can help with additional information.

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bequia w/Teenagers -where to stay?

you might want to look into Kingsville Apartments at Lower Bay, or Smitties affiliated with Keegans Guest House...Smitties is right on the beach, Kingsville are a minute away from the beach...Da Reef apartments are popular and a minute away from the beach as well, but closer to Da Reef for food and entertainment...

Michigan
Level Contributor
455 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bequia w/Teenagers -where to stay?

Thanks to everyone for these suggestions! Does anyone have links to website with photos? We've never rented an apartment before. (I tend to overanalyze and over web search these things!) Is the beach really that close to Keegan's??

Yes, we'll be there during the Easter regatta - 3/22-3/30!

Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bequia w/Teenagers -where to stay?

Go to bequia tourism or bequia.net. or clic on the left side of page were all the hotel links are.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,648 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bequia w/Teenagers -where to stay?

HavKids......just saw your post. Keegans (Smitty's apts are ON the beach) The only apt he has there that works for you is the 2 BR. It is spacious and easily would accomodate 4 of you. If you read back a bit you'll see lots of info on the place. Large Balcony, literally about 200' to the small reef, fresh water shower at the private gate. NOT fancy but nice. Also, just across the St is CasaBlanca rented through Kingsville. I agree, at Easter Bequia gets very crowded so reservations are important asap, otherwise, no problem. Someone beat me to the Fat Man Taxi recommendation. When you reach Bequia just ask for him and he'll whisk you to where you want to go and always is a wealth of info. I have him make my restaurant rec. and reservations, take the Island Tour and visit Brother King at the Turtle Sanctuary. Your Kids will love him, he is popular with all of the Visitor's Children! Personable, Honest and Reliable. And compared to St John...........cheap!

Michigan
Level Contributor
455 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bequia w/Teenagers -where to stay?

Thanks for all the great suggestions - I think we're zeroing in on the Captain's House. Photos are beautiful, my conversation with Nichole today was great, and a recommendation from someone on this forum too. We will definitely be booking a trip on the friendship rose and a visit to the turtle farm.

Is it too early to to book our friendship rose trip? I'm concerned with the Easter holiday things will book up quickly.

Any other recommendations for boat trips? Specifically catamarans? (my 12 yr. old gets a bit motion sick on monohulls)

9. Re: Bequia w/Teenagers -where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 00:18