We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barbados/Bequia

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Barbados/Bequia

Posting this on 2 forums.

We're thinking of going to Bequia in December and the best way to get there from Canada is via Barbados. What kind of time on each island would people recommend? 6 days on each? A week? We'd spend the last part on Barbados. We want to dive on both islands, and also relax and tour a bit.

Does it seem reasonable to expect to land in Barbados at around 2 pm (that' s when Air Canada arrives) and to be on Bequia the same night? I know there are frequent LIAT flights but we've avoided using that airline due to hearing terrible things. (Yes, I read that recent thread.) How far is the ferry from the airport? Thanks for any input.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,099 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barbados/Bequia

Just to confirm you're not missing a step in the process, there are two main ways to get to Bequia from Barbados. One is to fly LIAT to St. Vincent and ferry over from there, and the other is to fly SVG Air or Air Mustique (Grenadine Air Alliance) directly from Barbados to Bequia. We're doing the Mustique Airways route because I wanted to get there with the fewest steps. It's more expensive, and I didn't do the scheduling to see if we would have made it, same day, traveling the other way. As it is, our flight gets into Barbados too late in the day, so we're overnighting in Barbados, and flying to Bequia the next day.

A 2:00 pm arrival in Barbados should be enough time to get the later SVG/Mustique Air flight over, same day. We don't arrive until 4:00...too late.

Not counting that first overnight in Barbados, we're spending 5 nights on Bequia and then 3 nights on Barbados, at the end of the trip. If I had more vacation time, I'd spend more time on both islands.

We're on our way in 9 days!!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barbados/Bequia

Great, thank you -- didn't know about Air Mustique. That would save a lot of time and trouble. We'll check it out.

Picton, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Barbados/Bequia

We've been going to Bequia for five years now. The first time we flew SVG and made it in one day, but were not too impressed with the aging Twin Otter ( that's just because we are both nervous flyers) and decided to go the St. Vincent ferry route. The next two years we missed tha last ferry (once due to snow in Toronto, next due to LIAT scheduling ) and decided to plan the overnight in St. Vincent as part of the trip ( we stay at the Beachcomber ). Both years we have planned the overnight we have made it in time to catch the last ferry. This year we are trying a new route with Caribbean (formerly BWIA - I know all the bad stories but supposedly they are now reliable). Leave Toronto at 11 P.M. arrive Trinidad 5:40 A.M , connect on LIAT to St. Vincent at 8:30 A.M. , arrive St. Vincent 9:30 A.M. This route is significantly cheaper than Air Canada to Barbados but the reason for the change is more that we are fed up with Air Canada than to save money. I haven't seen any feedback yet on this route so I don't know if we've done the right thing but it's done. I got the tickets in the mail on Friday.

My point in all this is to tell you there is another option when flying from Canada.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
329 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Barbados/Bequia

PMCbeach: I think you will like the new route to Bequia. We used it a year ago and we will use it again this December. As to price, we go to Bequia for over 4 months each year so our tickets are more expensive, but the Air Canada/Liat route through Barbados was $1500 while the Caribbeen Airways/Liat route through Port of Spain was $735. Not a bad saving!

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barbados/Bequia

You'll love it there it's a step back -in a good way,see you back on the BDS forum!! good idea to say you have posted in two places .

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,005 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barbados/Bequia

I would go with Littlefort's suggestion. Great savings and I found the POS Trinidad airport easier to maneuver than Barbados. Also you save the departure tax which Barbados foolishly now charges "in transit" passengers.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barbados/Bequia

We actually weren't planning on spending any money to get there. It's very easy to book Air Canada flights to Barbados on points as they have daily flights. It's a better deal to book in Business, only 50% more points than economy. I don't know if Trinidad is that easy. Of course we have to book well in advance. This trip is for Dec of 2008. The problem is, then, that the Caribbean interisland flights might change in the meantime.

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barbados/Bequia

Obxpat- didn't know they now charge 'in transit' the dep-tax thought you had to actually enter the country then be away for more than 24 hrs then return --- bit mean!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barbados/Bequia

That does seem unfair. However, I have a girlfriend from Trinidad and she won't go there anymore, even to visit relatives -- they say it's not safe. We'd rather do transit through a safe country, and Barbados sounds really nice.

By the way, does anyone know why camouflage is prohibited on Barbados? Not that we're into that, but it just seems like an interesting rule.

london UK
Level Contributor
579 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barbados/Bequia

I'd like to hear about the history of the camoflage ban too if anyone out there has the story . My mum and her pal where pulled over at BGI last year and marched by police to a security area . This was a little shocking for two 60 somethings . My mums pal was ordered to change her trousers immediately , they were light cotton wide leg with a faint camo pattern . Poor thing , we laugh about it now !!!

Have a great time in Bequia - I'm there in about 7 weeks for the first time . Really looking forward to your trip report.

Get answers to your questions about Bequia
Recent Conversations