We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting from Liat to Virgin in Barbados

London
2 posts
Save Topic
Connecting from Liat to Virgin in Barbados

Hi,

I am leaving Bequia on Saturday 8th Dec, flying from SVD to BGI on the Liat 767 which is 3:45->4:25, and the Virgin flight out leaves at 1825. I've suddenly realised this leaves only an hour to rescue my bags from the Liat flight and make the Virgin check-in. Given all I've read about Liat's reputation for punctuality this seems unwise.

The previous Liat flight from SVD is 12:30-1:10, which means hours hanging around at BGI but ultimately may be better for my blood pressure!

First thing - presumably I am insane to only leave an hour to make the Virgin connection? Should I move the flight to the 12:30 departure immediately?

Secondly, assuming I do that, can I get to SVD by water taxi from Bequia by 10:30am on a Saturday morning?

Nothing like a last-minute panic!

Thanks,

Nick

Cotswolds, UK
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecting from Liat to Virgin in Barbados

I personally wouldn't risk it missing the Virgin flight, I'd change to the 12:30 Liat flight just to be sure.

Sure you can get a water taxi over to SVD just that sometimes the channel can be rough, not sure how much this might cost, I guess the early morning ferry it just too early for you?

World
Level Contributor
979 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecting from Liat to Virgin in Barbados

Why not the 11:30 Grenadines Alliance flight from Bequia to Barbados? There may also be a 3:30 as well.

If I am early into BGI I will check in and then get a cap to a nearb hotel for lunch and maybe one last swim.

In short if you need to go via LIAT I would take the earlier flight?

Are you sure it is a 767? first I am surprised that a 767 can get off at St Vincent and second I have never seen anything bigger than a Dash 8 in Liat livery.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecting from Liat to Virgin in Barbados

I'm guessing 767 is the flight number, not the equipment?

London
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Connecting from Liat to Virgin in Barbados

Yes 767 is the flight number! Thanks for all the help. I have moved the Liat flight to the 12:30 departure which means 5 hours to kill at BGI. I like the idea of a final swim somewhere. I think I'll also book the airport lounge (www.simplylounges.co.uk) so we've got somewhere to hang out.

Isn't there a Concorde near the airport you can check out? Not sure if it's worth the effort, but might be fun.

Cheers

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connecting from Liat to Virgin in Barbados

The VIP lounge at BGI is pretty nice - we were just there last week. We were flying business class this time, and at check in, we asked if there was any kind of lounge that we could use. The very nice AA agent gave us a few passes for free. Not sure if we got the freebies because we were flying business, but I say it doesn't hurt to ask, however you're flying! It's a comfy and quiet spot to hang out - lots to drink, not much in the way of snacks. Free internet (WiFi and a few terminals set up, for those who don't bring their laptops on vacation (us!).

Not sure which hotels would offer day usage of their facilities, but Peach and Quiet as a very nice pool area that's not used much at all. And, the hotel is pretty close to the airport. I have no idea if Margaret would be amenable to having a 4-hour visitor, but maybe it's worth shooting her an email?

Boston
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Connecting from Liat to Virgin in Barbados

Hi! I have travelled between the US to Bequia via Barbados for several years now, always using the Grenadine Alliance flight at 11:30 am from Bequia to BGI on the return and then having a 3-4 hour lag time between flights back to the US...we get a taxi at the airport in BGI and ask him to take us to somplace nice for lunch on the water in St. Lawrence Gap, and arrange to have the same driver pick us up for the return to the airport (and pay for the round trip then). Usually costs around $40 US for the taxi. Never had a problem, and it beats hanging around the airport! Happy Holidays!

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connecting from Liat to Virgin in Barbados

If I'm not mistaken, the morning flight from Bequia to BGI is scheduled for 10:30 am. However, the day before we were to take this flight (just last week), the time had changed to 12:00 noon (arrived BGI around 1:00). We stayed in Barbados for a few days, but had we been heading home (to JFK) same day, our flight was leaving BGI at 5:00 pm. Since you have to check in two hours before flight time, that would have only given us from 1:00 to 3:00 to leave the airport, find someplace to eat/swim and get back. Doesn't sound any more relaxing than just settling into a comfy seat at the airport, and reading a book.

Not sure what time your flight leaves BGI, but I personally wouldn't bother to leave the airport unless I had a solid 4 hours or more to play with, before I needed to be back.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connecting from Liat to Virgin in Barbados

By the way, when you fill out those forms that SVGAir gives you when heading to Bequia from Barbados, be sure to fill out the part where it asks where you'll be staying. They did need to get in touch with us to tell us of the flight time change - and that's the only way they would have known how to find us!

USA
Level Contributor
406 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Connecting from Liat to Virgin in Barbados

Mentaur - you won't have quite as much time as you think. Plan on the LIAT flight leaving late from SVD....By the time you are through Customs and Immigration in BBdos it could well be 2pm or thereabouts..

You can save time for yourself by checking into your Virgin flight on line before you leave Bequia, and print out your boarding pass. That way when you reach BGI you can at least go to the fast bag drop and save standing in line. ( That is, if the desk is open 4 hours in advance of the flight.).

You should leave yourself plenty of time to go through security art Bbdos as well - the lines can sometimes be very long, but your flight is later than most of the long haul flights, so you should be fine if you get back to the airport at around 5pm. That is, if you don't just relax in the VIP lounge.

And take the ferry over to St. Vincent! Both the Admiral and the Bequia Express ferries leave Bequia at 9.30am. You'll get saoked in a water taxi and it will cost you an arm and a leg. No need for extreme measures....

USA
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Connecting from Liat to Virgin in Barbados

I see that some of you commented on the lounge at BGI. Did you go to the Club Caribbean lounge which I understand is outside security or the newer "Executive Lounge" that is air-side? I have heard that the Executive Lounge is the nicer of the two. Is that right?

Get answers to your questions about Bequia