We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Jump-Up"

Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
"Jump-Up"

I will be on Bequia for the Thursday night "Jump-Up" in January. It seemed like a good time until I read all the reviews about the bad buffet food. Can we go to the "jump-up" just for drinks or do we have to pay for the buffet to get in?

Is there plenty of seating, some of us can't stand for very long periods of time.

Thanks,

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,000 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Jump-Up"

You can most definitely go to the Frangipani just for drinks, on the jump-up night. The one dinner seating is at 7:30, so before then, the bar area and all the patio tables and chairs might be occupied. But, once the dining room opens, the bar area should become less crowded and more chairs will become available, as diners vacate bar area seats and take their places at their tables. The steel band was really good, but we found the music to be kind of on the sleepy side, so by the time we were done with dinner, we had kind of been lullabied to sleep. We definitely weren't ready to jump up! The band played continuously through dinner, so even if you're seated in the bar area while guests are eating, there will be music for you to enjoy.

I wouldn't call the buffet food necessarily bad - it just wasn't great. Some things were pretty yummy, some things pretty blah. Next time we visit Bequia, we'll likely stay at the Frangi again, and will likely eat at the buffet again....so it wasn't so bad that we're scared away forever.

USA
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Jump-Up"

Is there a bar menu at Frangi? Maybe could have a couple of drinks and something light, rather than the buffet?

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,000 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Jump-Up"

There's an extensive bar cocktail menu (pages and pages long) and I believe there were some bar snacks available - I'm kind of remembering some stuff written on the chalk board behind the bar.

Bequia
Level Contributor
58 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Jump-Up"

The Frangipani Thursday night jum up is a classic and something you must attend. The bufet is not bad at all, it is a consistent effort of keeping good quality and obviously we all fail from time to time and mostly due to human factors. You should definitely book a night at Frangi.

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Jump-Up"

(I put this on the Barbados forum wherethe original post was)

Can't remember the food at the Frangipani but it was one of the best nights I (partly) remember, we kept finding members of the band strewn arond the town for what seemed like days!! you gave money on stage -the more money -the more the drank(& ahem! smoked) the better they got- so more money ---it goes on.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
351 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: "Jump-Up"

The food at the jump up both years I went was excellent. However, last year, the service we experienced was awful. To the point that I was so tempted to speak with Lou.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,896 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Jump-Up"

I would def join the others encouraging you to visit the Frangi for the jump up! The band does play rather quietly through dinner but they pick up the pace quickly later on. Sitting in one of the Adirondack chairs overlooking the harbor on a starry night is one of my fondest travel memories. I have been a bit disappointed by some items on the buffet but it is a good overall experience and I would not say I have ever had any bad food at the Frangi. If that worries you or you just don't prefer a buffet, you can always dine right next door at the Gingerbread and walk over to the Frangi for music and drinks. I have always had good service there. Guess they have "off" nights just like any business but I don't go to the Caribbean to be in a hurry anyway so long as the servers are pleasant I'm happy to wait.

USA
Level Contributor
387 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: "Jump-Up"

Well said, as always, Obxpat

bequia
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: "Jump-Up"

The Frangi Jump-Up is definitely not to be missed. The buffet is always good except for the steak, which for some weird reason is served when you have pretty much finished the rest of your meal. The steak is not a good one and usually over-cooked and smothered in a thick sauce. I ask for fish instead and it is always yummy and you can also order just the buffet without steak or fish and pay less. The selection at the buffet table is more than satisfying and the desserts are usually excellent. I do not really like lining up for food and the line-up is tedious to say the least during the busy busy time. You cannot however get any other kind of food at the bar except for peanuts. Many people go out to other places to eat ( along the strip there is L'Auberge, Mac's Pizzeria, Gingerbread, Tommy's Cantina and Salty Dog plus a few other smaller and not-so-popular places ) close to the Frangipani and then drift to the Frangi bar just when the music picks up the tempo.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,000 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Jump-Up"

Gee...I didn't realize I could have ordered just the buffet and skipped the steak part. But my experience with the steak was somewhat different than yours. Mine was served to me, just as I was taking a seat, with my plate of food from the buffet - so I couldn't have asked for it to be timed any more perfectly. And, it wasn't smothered with sauce. It wasn't the best steak I've ever had (far from it) but it tasted just fine. Next time, though, I'll try the fish option, or just go with the offerings on the buffet. I think my husband and I shied away from the fish option, because of an earlier experience with fish at the Frangi. We had ordered the nightly special (soup, fish entree, dessert for a very reasonable set price) earlier in the week. The fish was tuna, which we love. But, this was a small tuna steak vs. fillet (like with the big bone in the center). There were bones throughout the fish, which was pretty unpleasant. Not sure what kind of fish they were offering as the alternative to the steak, but we'll probably go for that next time and see what happens.