We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

onekbear

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,641 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
onekbear

Please let us know how your visit to Bequia went when you have time to catch your breath!

USA
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: onekbear

Thanks for asking. The trip to Bequia was great. I have never been there before, although I have been to many other places in the Caribbean. Stayed at the Frangi, in one of the "original" rooms. The rooms are pretty basic, but they are a terrific bargain. And I think the Frangi is a great location, particularly for a first time visitor, as it is centrally-located -- an easy walk to the town, restaurants and bars, and a quick taxi or water taxi to the beach. (I enjoyed the water taxis, although several times I took the dollar instead). I enjoyed the Frangi's bar and also sitting outside, on the adirondack chairs. Went to the Gingerbread's downstairs cafe for breakfast every morning (coffee and baked goods). Usually ended up staying for a while, reading, and having another cup of coffee. Excellent way to start the day. Spent most of each day at Lower Bay or Princess Margaret Beach. I enjoyed both of them. Had lunch twice at De Reef and once at Dawn's. Both were good, and very reasonably priced compared to other comparable places in the Caribbean. Sunday at de Reef was good; met many of the "regulars". I enjoyed the Conch curry (or something like that) at Dawn's, and Lobster salad and other things at De Reef. Went to Jack's a couple of times when on PM beach, mostly for drinks but had good conch fritters there too. I know Jack's is a bit controversial, but as a visitor I liked it. I found its location and design to be relatively unobstrusive, and the view from their terrace was great. If you prefer your beaches with no commerce, then of course Jack's would be a bad thing, but I liked having it there. One day, I went to Friendship Bay. I didn't like it as much as Lower or PM. I walked from Friendship to Lower and then from Lower to PM. At that point, I thought I deserved a couple of beers, and rewarded myself accordingly. One day I took the Friendship Rose trip to Tobago keys. That was a bit more expensive than other things I did on the trip, but well worth it. It waws a great day and the service on the Friendship Rose was absolutely first rate. For dinners, I enjoyed the Porthole quite a bit; I like West Indian food and they did it very well and at a good price. I thought Salty Dog's food was only OK - I expected better given some of the reviews. I would not go back, unless there was something on TV that I wanted to watch. Green Boley was good for chicken roti and a beer (or two), and very inexpensive. Tanti Pearl's was excellent and I think I made the right decision by having lunch there rather than dinner, since I got to enjoy the view of the bay, which was spectacular. (I also made the right decision by taking a taxi there rather than walking - its a steep hill!). Took out a pizza from Mac's one night - brought it back to the Frangi. Better pizza than I have had at other places in the Caribbean. (Compares favorably, for example, to Corner Bar in Anguilla, for those who have been there). I am sure I am leaving some places out, but I am still tired.

A few other observations: I took svg from BGI to BQU and was glad I did it. For a short trip, LIAT's not worth the hassle. The flights stopped en route but I actually saw that as an advantage - got to see the scenery on the way. I did not eat at the Frangi's Thurs BBQ but hung out at the bar and enjoyed the music and the scene. People in Bequia were VERY friendly, both locals and expat/part year residents. Many people were willing to give this first time visitor good advice, or just sit around and shoot the breeze. The people I met there enhanced the experience (and its small enough that you keep seeing the same people). In sum, and having visited many other Caribbean islands, I would say this: I thought Bequia was a great spot for a relaxing, low key vacation, and very good value for money. I will be back, possibly combining it next time with a trip to Mayreau.

Many thanks to you Obxpat, and to others on this board, for your advice and assistance to me in planning this trip.

Regards,

OneKbear

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,641 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: onekbear

Great to hear your visit went so well! I've never been to Tanti Pearl's for lunch (didn't even know they did lunch) so that's now on my list too. I enjoy the view at night but am sure it is a great spot mid day! Given your Bequia review I'm thinking you are a great candidate for sleepy little Mayreau as well.

3. Re: onekbear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 10:23
Get answers to your questions about Bequia