We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shoot me now....

Canada
Level Contributor
399 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Shoot me now....

....and put me out of my misery! I've been researching for what seems like forever for our next vacation. I'm determined not to go to the type of all-inclusive that we normally have gone to. You know the kind - all you really see of the country is what you view from the bus to and from the resort. Don't get me wrong - many have been nice, but it's just not the kind of vacation I want anymore. This time I started off with Barbados, then St. John, then Virgin Gorda, then Tortola, then Jost Van Dyke, then St. Vincent, then Bequia, then Grenada, then Union, then back to Bequia, then Carriacou, then Nevis, back to Bequia, then Bimini, then Bayahibe, and back to Bequia! Aaaaaiiiiieeeeee!!!! My fingers are cramped, my shoulders are tensed, my eyeballs are totally crossed and I'm on my last nerve. I have a strong feeling I may be on Paul's (fiance) last nerve too. Oh well, what's a little angst between loved ones? :)

I feel pathetic and crazed. One of my problems is price. I seem to be one of those people who have champagne taste on a beer budget. We want to go for the entire month of February, but will also consider January and March. Since flying there from eastern Canada is quite costly, and we'll probably want to rent a car for at least some of the time and other expenses, our villa budget is $5000. Oddly enough, I have found quite a few villas within that monthly budget on Bequia, some even less, and some with a car rental thrown in. And since something keeps drawing me back to Bequia, I think iI need to stop hopping around and focus my search here or die trying!

I have a hard time trusting the photos, because who is really going to post an unflattering photo of their rental? I read someone's post that said they were shocked at what the place looked like as it was nothing like the photos. Therefore, I don't trust myself to choose one without getting first hand knowledge from you guys. I've been lurking in my misery for a loooong time now, stalking the experts you could say. All the villas have run together in my mind, which is likely why it's feeling so clogged up in there. There's a good chance all this info is swelling my brain to the point where my brain cells are exploding at a fast rate. Save me before I'm a goner!

Here's what I would like, and yes, I've seen plenty that I would love to stay in that are too expensive. Sometimes I loathe to click that rate button! :)

1. There are two of us, both adults or at least a reasonably close facsimile. I beg you....don't judge me by this post. There are times when I'm actually quite sane.

2. I really want a private villa with a pool instead of an apartment/hotel type accommodation.

3. From listening to the above-mentioned experts, I'd like to stay in walking distance of Long Bay or PM, although I have seen some nice ones within my budget in other areas. I saw one over budget that was called Industry Beach Estate. The landscaping, pool and privacy really caught my eye. I wondered why I couldn't find any mention of it by vacationers anywhere.

4. I'm thinking we should be on a hill to catch the breezes which will help keep the mossies away as well. I don't do well in the heat and humidity, but am fine as long as I have a breeze or can go in at least one air conditioned room to cool off. I love those ones that have an infinity pool overlooking a gorgeous beach below. Heaven!!!

3. I can do without the maid service to keep costs down if possible. Some have washers, and if not, I'm sure there's a laundry somewhere. As I'm used to doing my own cleaning., I don't want to be too pampered. LOL!

Please God, (and you posters), help me...unless you're too angry with me for making such a ridiculously long post. I hope I didn't subconsciously have a desire to make others as miserable as myself!

Jackie

Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shoot me now....

Not to like give you one more place to scatter your thoughts but try www.rockhousehotel.com nice spa package too. It's awesome! Take snorkel equipment. OR

www.ku-anguilla.com there's a 90' beach bar nice resort and Gwen's beach bar is right around the corner with some of the best bbq chicken and a nice snorkeling too. If you decide on Anguilla go to Johnno's for a Johnno's Special and E's oven has a fab pumpkin soup. I could eat it by the bucket and not bad prices. Bananas by the Sea Restaurant had a fabulous view. Go at sunset! Shoals Bay East is the best area. Meads Bay runs a tight second. I photo shot the island to watercolor at a later date...there's not an ugly beach there! White powdery sand crystal turquoise water. NO CRUISE ships! It's a short ferry ride from St. Martin to Anguilla. Best vacation I ever had...The people are fabulous and friendly. It's a smaller island and they enjoy company.

Sechelt, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shoot me now....

Hi Jackie,

I was going through similar pains on trying to decide where to go. We ended up booking Bequia for 9 days because everyone says it is really laid back and relaxing compared to many of the other islands, plus it has everything you need - good food and good beaches. We will be there in just under 4 weeks. We are also going to St Vincent and Martinique so we can have a varied experience on our trip. We really wanted to do a sailing trip from Bequia, but we started looking into this too late and all the charters are booked. So we are going to see what we can do once we are there.

Being on a budget and not wanting a hotel, we ended up booking a village apartment on Bequia, but will be looking at the villas when we are there just incase we want to return with family or friends.

From my research, I think you have made the right choice with Bequia. I think the moonhole area is also something worth checking out for a unique experience.

Let me know if you want me to check out any particular sites when we are there.

The hardest part was making the decision on where to go with so many choices..... once that is done the rest will fall into place....

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shoot me now....

Jackie:

go to www.bequiatourism.com site and walk your way through the villa listings, or to the www.grenadinevillas.com site, it is quite comprehensive...Even if you stay at Friendship Bay, the walk to Lower Bay or Princess Margaret Beach or Port Elizabeth is a good walk...you don't have to rent a vehicle...you can just use taxis when you don't want to walk...there is a nice small cottage at Friendship Bay with a pool that comes to mind...It is owned by Tipi Punnett www.StayInBequia.com...I think it is reasonably priced and it is really cute and comfortable...we have friends who stay there every Christmas...there is also Orchard House in Belmont www.bequiaorchardhouse.webeden.co.uk that is close to Port Elizabeth, and all the restaurants, dive shops, etc. along the Belmont boardwalk...and it is an easy walk to the beaches from there too...or you can walk down to the waterfront and catch a water taxi to take you to Lower Bay or Princess Margaret Beach...

Many of the apartments with pools though are on the lower level of private villas, and most owners will give you complete privacy and private use of the pool, so don't eliminate that option...

Hope this helps

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,737 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shoot me now....

Jackie>>...I think Bequia def suits what you are looking for. Lots of terrific places. In Feb don't worry too much about a breeze. You also don't need a vehicle on Bequia so don't limit your search to those with one. Taxis are reasonable and dollar vans are a good option during the day. I also love Tippi's place if it is avail for that long. Lower Bay is a good place and there are some great rentals: Twilight and Sunset come to mind which you'll find on your search...no pool but who needs one with the beach just outside your door? Walk to some great restaurants, enjoy the sunset from your deck!!! Snorkel a couple of spots right at Lower Bay. Take the Friendship Rose to the Tobago Cays...wow!

Canada
Level Contributor
399 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shoot me now....

Thanks guys...I truly appreciate your feedback. I am still in a quandry. I'm thinking the airfare from Nova Scotia might be just too expensive. I'm now researching Grand Cayman. Soon I'll be running out of islands! :)

Thanks again...you guys are great!

World
Level Contributor
972 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shoot me now....

The only ways I can think of to fly from Halifax to SVG is either Air Canada to Toronto and then Air Canada to Barbados. Depending on the date of travel it seems that you can do the entire trip from as low as $310 per person each way. That is cheap. I can't fly from Toronto to Halifax for that many days.

The other way is US Air through Boston.

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shoot me now....

nieghbours of ours here, who are from Nova Scotia, fly to Toronto, overnight, then Toronto to Barbados, Barbados to St. Vincent, if they are too late for the 7 pm ferry they overnight, then cross to Bequia the next morning...

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shoot me now....

Look at some US routing options. LIAT flys from San Juan to St Vincent. Lots of US carrier go into San Juan. You will arrive late, but just go to the Cobblestone downtown and stay for the night. Next morning wander Kingstown and then take whatever ferry suits you over to Bequia.

Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Shoot me now....

I just read the most recent posting about ferries from Barbados to Bequia. How long does that take and how much does it cost? Is there a website with information? We are going to Bequia in December and arriving on the ferry might be a nice alternative to flying from Barbados.

Appreciate your assistance.

Lindsay

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shoot me now....

LindsayCanada...the ferry ride takes an hour, and one way is $20.EC...depending on how long you are coming for though, you might want to fly in to Bequia from Barbados...if you have to overnight in St. Vincent you are losing valuable Bequia time...esp. if you are only coming for a week...I live here and if I have to leave, I fly in and out of Bequia...