We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Safety

Hi one and all.

I trust everyone is well and not too far away from a trip to your favourite slice of the Caribbean.

Pennie and I are on island at the moment. We're sat in Maria's French Terrace having a leisurely breakfast and, sad person that I am, thought I'd make use of the free WiFi.

I'll write a full report when I return, but I thought I'd just give our thoughts on the dreaded 'C' word, ie crime.

Being Bequia there are scores of different versions of what's happening and who's been doing what to whom and with whose wife/husband! However the universal truth is that there have been some break ins to private property. I have to say though that most if not all appear fairly opportunistic petty theft. Of course we do not condone this, but I have to say it has not reached epidemic proportions. And more importantly it has not affected the general feeling of safety. We have strolled around and never felt threatened, be it Sailors, walking back from the Salty Dog past Penthouse, at midnight in the Hibiscus, long after sunset on Lower Bay and partying with the locals at Devil's Table. Of course we have used common sense - not flashing money or jewellery around, nor taking unnecessary risks in darkened areas.

But we feel very safe.

So please don't let the 'C' word put anyone off coming.

Take care, DrMike and Pen.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

We felt safe when we were on Bequia and just carried out the same precautions as we would at home. We had many a breakfast at Maria's french terrace, wish I was back there. We walked everywhere, and had a fantastic holiday in Bequia. Hope you have a great time. Have a couple of rum punches for us!!

Escondido...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

I'm just hoping we won't have 4 pages of replies to this.

Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

this is our third year living in OCAR no problems here.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
354 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety

"this is our third year living in OCAR no problems here." - who'd screw with a man with so many hats and a wife who is so adoring. Eeye?

Escondido...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety

New York Giants Fan -- did you mean adoring, or did you mean patient? ;o)

Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety

oh Barb that hurt I thought I was your buddy. ILMAO We are in Grenada will let you know how many people I tick off here.LOL Rick and Mabel

Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety

Ditto Ditto Ditto. I caused a bit of a ruckus at this forum before arriving. I felt safe everywhere and had a fantastic time. Somone did try to take my money off the bar at Hibiscus bar but it was probably my fault and it turned somewhat comedic afterwards with the two of us having a laugh. This place is magic. It is a small town place with small town crime - opportunistic as you put it.

Slic Ricky - sorry we missed you at the Gingerbread the day of our departure on the Atlantis II with Fritzand maria from the Ginger Bread. They said you were going to be my Canadian welcoming committee.

Cheers!

8. Re: Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 11:21
Get answers to your questions about Bequia