We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

clean and safe hotel in st vincent for overnight?

mass
5 posts
Save Topic
clean and safe hotel in st vincent for overnight?

We have to overnight on St Vincent, as we will be arriving too late to get the last ferry to Bequia. We are a family of 5. Can anyone recommend a hotel on St Vincent that is clean, safe and convenient to either the ferry or airport? We will need to get dinner when we arrive as well. Thanks.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: clean and safe hotel in st vincent for overnight?

I usually stay at the Cobblestone Inn, right near the ferry docks. Hotel is clean and appears to be safe. Has a restaurant on site. I left my two teenage boys there alone overnight last year so they could catch the 6:30 AM flight home. They had no issues.

UK
Level Contributor
317 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: clean and safe hotel in st vincent for overnight?

We also use the Cobblestone and would recommend it.

It's a great place to sleep, and have a leisurely breakfast, before catching the ferry. And if you don't have too much baggage, you can walk to the ferry in 5 minutes or so.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: clean and safe hotel in st vincent for overnight?

I would suggest avoiding the on line booking system. My experience is that it is just there to make us Type As from the north think something modern is happening. Take my word for it, pick up the phone and call. Always works better.

UK
Level Contributor
143 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: clean and safe hotel in st vincent for overnight?

I would avoid Cobblestone like the plague!

They left us without a room after their online booking system had confirmed us. Despite the fact that we had a printed proof of reservation they were surly and unhelpful and told us they had no reservation. Although the reservation 'error' would have been forgivable, the fact that it happens so often and particularly their attitude were not.

While we were 'homeless' a lovely taxi driver took us to Fairview Guest House, where despite it being late by then and that they knew that we were desperate, they were very welcoming and charged us a reasonable price. Would stay there again like a shot.

Uk
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: clean and safe hotel in st vincent for overnight?

Might be a bit pricier than the other guesthouses and hotels, but an option nonetheless: www.grenadinehouse.com

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
827 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: clean and safe hotel in st vincent for overnight?

We stayed at the Mariner's Hotel on Villa Beach for 4 nights and it was fine. I have recently heard of Paradise Beach Hotel (old Paradise Inn renovated)(http://www.paradisesvg.com/about/index.ph) that gets good reviews on tripadvisor and looks pretty nice for an overnight stay.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: clean and safe hotel in st vincent for overnight?

As I said before, the on-line reservation system for the Cobblestone is just a pacifier for northern Type A personalities. It does nothing and goes nowhere. As a previous poster found out the front desk staff have no idea what you are talking about when you mention the on-line reservation.

It is one of my pet peeves for web sites in the sunny south. If you have things like on-line reservation systems, on-line inquiry sections, or even email addresses then the web site owner must monitor these items. In many cases it looks like somebody designed the web site for the owner, perhaps in exchange for some free nights, and included some standard stuff. But they forgot to tell the owner how to manager those standard items and then they went off home to England, US or Australia or wherever.

UK
Level Contributor
582 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: clean and safe hotel in st vincent for overnight?

Have to agree with negative feedback on Cobblestone. Was great and welcoming in the old days, but in recent years the characterful building and rooftop breakfast just don't, , IMO, make up for the surly service

Plenty of better alternatives listed in this thread.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,896 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: clean and safe hotel in st vincent for overnight?

While I have stayed at the Cobblestone a couple of times with no problem i prefer the Beachcomber. On site pool and restaurant. Located btwn the airport and ferry dock. Lovely view of Bequia in the distance. Polite friendly owners. Clean basic rooms, 24 hr security. If I can't make the ferry it is a nice place to relax. I arrange for a taxi the next am and stop for a few groceries before heading over to Bequia. As for email reservations, I always call ahead for clarity sake in SVG.

Picton, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: clean and safe hotel in st vincent for overnight?

Beachcomber is a good choice. I used to stay at Cobblestone but it's much more convenient at Beachcomber as stated in the previous post - restaurant /bar on site, pool, nice view, good security. It's a little more expensive and the taxi costs a bit more but it's worth it.