We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keep Bequia Clean & Green

Earth
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Keep Bequia Clean & Green

Appalling how much trash & plastic turns up on every beach, especially water bottles. Its encouraging to see some locals & visitors utilizing refillable stainless containers; but more needs to be done to curtail the amount of litter, especially plastic, that ends up in the sea, streets and gutters. Hoping all rental establishments will provide guests with alternatives to the ubiquitous plastic water bottle, such as pitchers with filters, from which one can refill a reusable container.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keep Bequia Clean & Green

That is so true - not just in Bequia but all over the world. Marine animals which eat plastic bags - incorrectly assuming that they are jellyfish - suffer agonising deaths.

St Maxime
Level Contributor
114 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Keep Bequia Clean & Green

If people don't take their bottles away with them then perhaps bins on the beaches would help - along the tree line so as not to be too intrusive.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,004 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Keep Bequia Clean & Green

there are such bins on Lower Bay. Some people use them. Others, unfortunately can't be bothered to walk the few steps to them. On a recent trip to Belize we were interested to see that the water came in small platic bags rather than bottles which made for much less volume in the trash.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
220 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Keep Bequia Clean & Green

It isn't just plastic bottles; though they are everywhere. We see all types of refuse on the beaches, in town and along the roadsides.

Most commonly plastic bags, bottles, wrappers, beer cans, glass, trash and garbage.

Bequians generally recycle everything, but there is no organized recycling program; so a lot of this junk ends up strewn about. Some of it comes from ships, boats and yachts. I have seen school children and tourists alike throwing stuff off both the Admiral and Bequia Express.

Same on St. Vincent. Really a shame, people should know better.

London UK
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Keep Bequia Clean & Green

It might also be good if all rental establishments supplied a few cloth bags or baskets so that renters can go to the local shops and markets, and not require plastic bags to carry goods home. When shopping on Bequia we always buy some of the recycled bags (made from old sacks) that you see on sale. They make nice souvenirs too and now we use them in the UK for our shopping trips here.

BTW, a shocking sight I saw in the eastern Mediterranean a few years ago was a remote bay choked with floating debris. The slick of plastic bags and bottles bobbing on the surface was over 200 metres wide and also included bits of plastic from san-pro items, condoms, and babies' napkins.

We must all think carefully about the waste we create and how we dispose of it.

Earth
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Keep Bequia Clean & Green

EddieLizard, you are very commendable, and its true some vendors will give or sell a reusable bag. The amount of trash worldwide is indicative of skewed priorities, greed and instant gratification...Western ways have negatively influenced too many formerly pristine locations and their populations.

Let's hope we can reverse that trend!

Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Keep Bequia Clean & Green

I have rarely seen a tourist throw trash on the ground. We seem to have more respect then the locals when it comes to trash. a good example is on the road to the drive through it is littered with take out trash containers and booze bottles.On Satyurday morning you can fill 3 green garbage bags of trash.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Keep Bequia Clean & Green

Totally agree, I was astounded the first time I saw a local toss an empty bottle of Heiroun over the side on one of the ferries. Unfortunately, I've seen it a number of times since.

Earth
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Keep Bequia Clean & Green

Glass turns back into sand eventually, while plastics last much longer with greater harm to sealife.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Keep Bequia Clean & Green

Not sure about your glass to sand analogy. I would be willing to bet that glass lasts much longer then plastics. Leave plastic out in the sun. Leave glass out in the sun. I will bet on the glass lasting longer. Pretty sure I will win that bet.

Why would a person throw a bottle into the ocean? There is a deposit on beer bottles is there not? And a few bottles in the channel between Bequia and St Vincent will have zero environmental impact, eor even a slight positive impact. They will sink and become a home for a small fish or crab or something.

It is the lighter floating plastic stuff that is an issue. Sea life can eat it. Almost nothing in the sea will eat a bottle (big shark, maybe). Lots will eat a plastic bag thinking it to be food.

Get answers to your questions about Bequia