We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mailboat from Bequia to Mayreau/Union?

vermont
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Mailboat from Bequia to Mayreau/Union?

Does the mail boat stop at Bequia or does it go directly from St. Vincent to the lower Grenadine Islands? I know it use to stop at Bequia but it may have stopped doing this. thanks.

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mailboat from Bequia to Mayreau/Union?

it stops once in a while...I'm not sure what the conditions are for it to stop...generally though if you are on Bequia and want to catch it, you have to take the Admiral or Bequia Express across to St. Vincent to catch the mail boat...if you are in St Vincent and want to stop in Bequia, you'll need to make a separate trip on one of the Bequia ferries...

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
832 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mailboat from Bequia to Mayreau/Union?

Your trip is an easy one, just have to plan it out.

1. Fly to Barbados (American or Jet Blue) via Miami or New York

2. Fly SVG Air from Barbados to Union Island, arrange a water taxi from Union to Mayreau ($25 per person). This can be done via Dennis and Gosia from Dennis Hideaway

3. Arrange a boat from Mayrea to Bequia ($50-$75 per person) through the Kiwi or Michael Tours. Or, arrange to meet the Friendship Rose at the Tobago Cays and take that to Bequia. Water taxi from Mayreau to the Cays is probably about $25 per person.

4. Fly Bequia to Barbados on SVG Air.

We did this exact route last year and had 3 weeks. We spent 4 days on Mayreau and that was more than enough in our opinion. The island is only 1.5 miles and has 300 people so by the 4th day everyone on the island knew us!

Edited: 20 April 2010, 13:19
vermont
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mailboat from Bequia to Mayreau/Union?

Thanks! I'll check out kiwi and micheals tours. We will only have 14 days. We would like to visit Grenada for 4 days then up to Union/mayreau for 4 more days then either Bequia for 5 or just stay in the lower Grenadines and visit Carriacou on way back to Grenada for one last night. If we do Bequia we'll take svg back to Barbados. Staying in the lower Grenadine Islands seems less complicated in such a short time, but I would really like to see Bequia. Maybe just stay only in Bequia and take Friendship Rose to visit Tobago Cays.

Seems to short for me to visit Tobago Cays plus I have heard so many great things about Mayreau. Wish we had a month!!! Always can go back later to Bequia on another trip, but that may be a few years. It's all good!!

Suggestions??

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
832 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mailboat from Bequia to Mayreau/Union?

I would definitely suggest skipping Mayreau/Union this time around and just going to Bequia. Mayreau is lovely, but not a "must" if you are short on time. Save it for another trip. That being said, all things are subjective and this is my personal opinion.

However, if you have a whole week on Bequia you can do the Cays on the Friendship Rose.

Let me know if you have more questions.

vermont
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mailboat from Bequia to Mayreau/Union?

Why would you choose Bequia? What do you like about the island? Have you been to Grenada or Carriacou? I've been to Barbados and thought maybe we could visit Grenada first then ferry up to the lower Grenadines without having to take a plane, but maybe the small planes would be fun.

How about St. Vincent for a few days? Did you take a water taxi to the Tobago Cays from Mayreau? Did you stay on Union Island? How about a day visit to Palm Island? so many questions????

What were your highlights of your past trip?

vermont
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mailboat from Bequia to Mayreau/Union?

I forgot, what is the least amount of time you would want to spend on Bequia?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
832 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mailboat from Bequia to Mayreau/Union?

Why would I choose Bequia over Mayreau? Simply because I think two days is plenty to spend on Mayreau and it seemed as though you were looking to spend longer. Mayreau has three restaurants (there are more but they were never open), two beaches and maybe a 4 or 5 bars but not all open at the same time. There is no ATM on the island and the only two places that take cards are Saltwhistle Resort and Dennis Hideway. During our stay only one small store was open. Most of the evenings we were the only visiting people out after 8pm. I loved Mayreau and we will definitely go back but I prefer a bit more going on a which Bequia has.

I have not been to Carricou or Grenada. I'm very intested in stopping at Grenada some day!

This is just my personal opinion and I know there are other on here that may have some additional advice.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,901 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mailboat from Bequia to Mayreau/Union?

back to the OP "mailboat from Bequia to Mayreau/Union". On our first MV Barracuda trip we boarded at Union. When asked our destination we stated "Bequia" that was met with an adamant "Not on this boat" from the Captain. This in spite of a sign above his head which listed Bequia as a stop. That was 8 yrs ago. I've never seen it stop at Bequia. No big deal, we just took it to St Vincent and hopped on the bequia express. It was odd passing just offshore of Bequia and having to double back. As for skipping Mayreau, never done it since the first overnight there. For most 2 nights is plenty. My rec...Start in Grenada for a few days, fly to Union and take a day tour of the Cays (Yannis)and maybe overnight on Union (Anchorage). Do 2 nights on Mayreau and catch the mailboat to St Vincent. (ck schedule, should be 2x per wk) Ferry over to Bequia for a few days and then fly St Vincent to Barbados...that is a fantastic 2 week trip that allows you to really experience the unique qualities the different islands have. It's hard to believe how different they are being so close to one another.

vermont
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mailboat from Bequia to Mayreau/Union?

It sounds best to ferry to SV then back to Bequia. Bequia sounds wonderful.

To anyone who has been taxied and dropped off at the tobago cays from Mayreau, how was that? Was it worth it? This is a whole new post.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mailboat from Bequia to Mayreau/Union?

Grenada: Less touristy then Barbados but much more touristy than St Vincent. I did not like it because there were too many tourists. The scenery is wonderful, but the tourist prices are noticeably aggressive. When we went to a tourist site like the run distillery there were dozens of tourists. And most days 3 or 4 cruise ships which disgorge passengers. It is developed enough that I might even consider renting a car. Grenada is not a normal island with tourists, it seems to be aimed at tourists too much. After 4 or more days the tourist stuff might get to you.

Union: Worth the stop and the exploration time. Sort of set up for tourists, but also a bit not ready in parts. Some parts seem a bit rough around the edges, but I never felt dangerously rough. Good base to explore from with air connection to lots of places. Probably worth a couple of days.

Mayreau: Never stayed there, just visited. Looks like fun for a day or two. After that you have exhausted the restaurants and walked to every corner and nook and cranny on the island.

Bequia: A great combination of not too touristy and set up well for visitors. Try and get to each and every beach on the island. After 4 years I still have one to get off my list (L'anse Chemin). Lots of restaurants with reasonable prices and only a couple of tourist gouge shops. And I don't mean the gourmet food places, they have steep import costs, I mean the overpriced Hairoun kind of joints.

St Vincent: Another good combination of not too touristy and sort of set up for visitors. The tourist sites are never crowded. It is a normal working island with a few tourists thrown in.

Get answers to your questions about Bequia