We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sail trip

UK
Level Contributor
110 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
sail trip

The company we've booked a villa on Bequia through (Seacliff) have suggested we take a sail trip with them. EIther a day to Tobago Keys or a shorter trip to Mustique. My wife is not a good sailor so the day to the Keys is sadly out. Does anyone know if the Mustique trip is worthwhile? What put us off a little is that we'll already be on a beautiful island - is it worth spending a day seeing another one (albit inhabited by so called "celebs"!). Is there anything to see or do on Mustique?

Any other short trips available that someone can recommend? We'd really just like a couple of hours to see what Bequia looks like form the sea.

Thanks,

GaryF

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sail trip

Your wife should take some Dramamine and you should go to the Cays. My wife is a world class puker on a boat, but admits the trip was worth it.

There are lots of guys on Bequia that will take you out for short jaunts. Ile a Quatre, etc. Michael tours is well recommended.

If you like to walk and I mean really walk hire Bushman Brent and go on one of his hikes. You will do nothing for the rest of the day after that hike, but it is a great experience. Last year Brent took us to beaches that our hosts (at Village Apartments) had never been to.

Picton, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: sail trip

Go to the Tobago Cays. Mustique is waste of time unless you are staying there.

UK
Level Contributor
110 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sail trip

Thanks for the Mustique tip - we weren't sure whether we'd just find an island perhaps not as nice as Bequia with not much to do if you're day tripper....

Only problem with the trip to the Cays is that my wife won't go with me! More than a couple of hours & she starts to get sea sick - even on big solid ships.....not good going by yourself on a romantic holiday!

Any suggestions for something shorter & closer to Bequia?

Saint Briavels...
Level Contributor
324 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sail trip

The trip to the Cays is definitely not for anyone prone to seasickness. It is a long day on the boat and there is no respite if you feel unwell (which is sadly inevitable for people like me). There is also very little shade so if you do decide to go, take plenty of sunscreen, a hat and some long sleeves/trousers to cover up. One of our friends ended up hospitalised with third degree burns after a trip with the Friendship Rose to the Cays.

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sail trip

the Cays are beautiful but it is a very long day on the boat and if you tend to get seasick, as I do, so I can empathize with your wife, it can ruin the day...

I wouldn't waste any time going to Mustique for a day trip...

just relax and enjoy your time in Bequia...there is plenty to see and do here if you are so inclined, or you can just chill out and relax...

UK
Level Contributor
110 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sail trip

Wow! When the wife reads this that's one trip that'll definately be off!

Many thanks.......

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,648 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sail trip

I love to see all of the islands but the sailing does not sound like her cup of tea and flying is expensive and time consuming for a day trip. I would skip Mustique. Why not take a day trip over the lovely and lush mainland via ferry. A tour is well worth it as it is very different than Bequia. Waterfalls, banana plantations, black sand beaches, botanical garden. Lots to see and well worth a day imo. Hazeco Tours has many offerings or you could research what you would like to see and make a deal with one of the many nice cab drivers. Have lunch and explore returning on a late day ferry.

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sail trip

We have done the trip to the Tobago Cays and it is well worth the trip but beware-it can be a long rolling ride and if your wife has issues with seasickness perhaps it is not the thing for you.

If your budget allows you could fly over to Union Island and take a water taxi to the Cays.

On our last trip we opted out of the Friendship Rose due to the fact we had with us family memebers without sea legs. We took Michael Tours on his boat to Isle Quatre (sp?) it was a great day-we had the whole boat to ourselves, it was a short ride in protected waters over to the island-once we got there they installed us on the beach (beautiful) and poceeded to prepare a beach lunch (barbequed fish, chicken, salads) The snorkeling is beautiful (but not as good as the Cays) there is plenty of shade under the trees and Michael and his mate are great guys-they take care of every one of your needs there-I can highly recommend it for a day trip!!!

Michaels info:

Michaels' Tours

Michael Bynoe

cell phone: (764) 455 1154

home phone: (764) 458 3782

e-mail: michaeltoursbequia@yahoo.com

Also if you need a good taxi driver and a great guy or rental vehicle while there:

Noel Ollivierre

cell phone:(784) 458 3064

home phone:(784) 458 3064

e-mail: oliver1@vincysurf.com

www.bequia.net/noeltaxi

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
804 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sail trip

I second obxpat's suggestion whether you are able to make it to the Cays or not. Mainland St. Vincent is not given the respect she deserves. The island is quite different from Bequia in terms of the rainforest, beaches etc. St. Vincent proper is not sleepy and little but, big and bold. This is not a dis to Bequia because I love her too, just an attempt to paint a picture. It is difficult to imagine 2 islands 9 miles apart yet in many ways worlds apart. The 2 coasts are even opposites. Windward is black sand, rocks and crashing waves. Leeward more serene. Mespo Valley indescribably green. Your wife would most likely tolerate the ferry ride without difficulty. If she is concerned Bonine works wonders. Once upon a time many years ago there was a cruise line by the name of Windjammer which provided my intro to SVG(thank you Casey and Julian). I too would get a little green around the edges when sailing from St. Lucia or Grenada. 12.5 mg of Bonine taken about 1/2 hour before raising the sails took care of the problem. It is an over the counter medication but be sure to read all the product info provided

World
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sail trip

just a thought but perhaps the new Jaden Sun fast ferry will provide a more stable and faster ride to the southern grenadines if it is in service by the time you arrive. Here's a link to a previous TA post on the subject.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147383-i2331-k374…

You could take it to Union (or Mayreau would be better if that' is a stop) and then take a local water taxi over to the Cays. This would mean an overnight on Union or Mayreau but well worth it if if works out.

I agree that because your wife is so very sensitive to motion, sailing is probably not an option for her. She will either be sick as a dog or whacked out on the anti-nausea pills.

Edited: 10 July 2010, 14:32