We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bequia info needed

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Bequia info needed

My husband and I are from Barbados and are wanting to get away for a long week for our anniversary next month. I was just wondering if anyone could answer the following questions:

Best way to get from St Vincent to Bequia?

Best place to stay - we are mid 20's and want to be able to walk to places to eat/bars etc?

Any other info you feel will be helpful is mush appriatated.

Vikki

World
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bequia info needed

Ferry is the best way to get from St. Vincent to Bequia. There are three ferry services, Admiral, Bequia Express and the new Jaden Sun fast ferry service. When time permits, I will post a link to their schedules or you can just google.

I think you would find the Frangipani Hotel an excellent place to stay - a very sociable place, on the waterfront, and within easy walking distance (2 minutes or so) to the village and a wide variety of restaurants and bars.

World
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bequia info needed

you can also fly direct to Bequia from Barbados or St. Vincent on SVG Air.

Edited: 19 October 2010, 18:38
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
821 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bequia info needed

There's also these options that are right in town:

Bamboo Chute

http://www.bamboochute.com/

Village Apartments

http://villageapartments.bequia.net/

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bequia info needed

I love the Frangipani and often stay at the Village Apartments (like this coming winter), but Port Elizabeth does not really have swimming beaches. I would strongly agree that it is the place to stay as far as being close to action, etc. But you will have to taxi or water taxi to Princess Margaret or Lower Bay to get the true beach experience. Not a real inconvenience, but a consideration.

St Maxime
Level Contributor
114 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bequia info needed

You say it's for your anniversary, well if you want a quiet-ish & romantic time try Friendship Bay - Bequia Beach hotel. Otherwise follow the other posters' recommendations.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,643 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bequia info needed

I would ck out King's Cottage at Lower Bay. Small cottage w/ great view and easy access to Lower Bay as well as Princess Margaret. If you like more in town type setting than Pt Elizabeth can't be beat. For self catering the Village Apts are hard to beat. For Hotel type accomodation ck out the Gingerbread's waterfront rooms.

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bequia info needed

so many choices...check out the bequia tourism site for listings...Lower Bay has restaurants and the beach...Princess Margaret has one expensive restaurant and the beach, but a rough road into it, though you can always take a water taxi...Friendship Bay, best bet is Bequia Beach Resort with the beach, restaurants...Belmont area is easy walking into all the Port Elizabeth restaurants, bars and shopping, and either walk or taxi to Lower Bay or Princess Margaret to swim and snorkel...Spring is quiet and though it's only 1/2 hour walk into Port, most people drive, only one very expensive restaurant, lots of nice apartments and villas to choose from...if I wanted to be on the beach or very close to it, and not be too far from everything else, I'd go to Lower Bay...if I wanted to be closer to town and walk or drive to the beach, I'd pick one of the places in Belmont/Port Elizabeth, Villa Patree or Deja Vu on the lower part of Mt. Pleasant would be good choices...Village Apartments...town can be noisier though...

Minnesota
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bequia info needed

Hi Vikki,

Best wishes for your coming anniversary! You will love Bequia!

First, the ferry services are the best way and least expensive to get to Bequia from St. Vincent, as noted above.

Being in your mid 20's, I would strongly suggest either something along the Belmont walkway for your stay, or Lower Bay.

If you stay along the Belmont walkway, you have several choices, the two given would be great for an anniversary get away. The Fragnipani and Gingerbread are right on the waterfront, both with nice restaurants and bars. The other great thing about this area is that you can walk into the village and enjoy many different places to eat, drink, and enjoy fun and shopping.

If you decide to stay in the Lower Bay area, Keegan's is a great choice, as well as the Village apartments, Smitty's apartments are nice too (right on the beach), and arranged through Keegan's. Lower Bay has a great beach for walking, and some nice restaurants and bars as well. DeReef, Keegan's, and a new place I believe called Mangos.

A simple taxi ride can get you between Lower Bay and the town area for 20EC each way. The advantage of staying in town (Belmont area) is that you can walk to many different shops, restaurants and bars (some with entertainment, depending on the night). The advantage of staying in Lower Bay is the beautiful beach and a bit more quite (however you might hear music from someplace from time to time).

There are other great areas as mentioned too, however I was considering your age, and thought these two areas would best fit your needs and likes as you mentioned.

Have a great time in Bequia and enjoy your anniversary!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
302 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bequia info needed

FYI on the last post, the Villages Apartments are not in Lower Bay, they are in Belmont. You might be thinking of the Kingsville Apartments in Lower Bay.

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bequia info needed

Thank you for all your posts. Do you need to clear customs in Bequia as well as St Vincent?

Get answers to your questions about Bequia