We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beer or Ale ?

St Maxime
Level Contributor
114 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Beer or Ale ?

In December I'm bringing a friend who only drinks beer or ale (not lager or spirits). Now in all the times I've been on Bequia, not having to look for beer, I've not noticed any cans of beer at all. I know Guinness can be bought but is there beer for sale in Bequia ?

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
999 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beer or Ale ?

Harouin (sp?) Gold is what we would call a malt liquor, but is probably brewed with lager yeast, and IMO is terrible, even the standard Harouin is pretty bad for a lager so he may not recognize it as one. Guiness may be the only ale you can find.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,752 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beer or Ale ?

Harouin is the National beer of St Vincent and the Grenadines! Over time we developed a taste for it! Not to worry. Other beers are readily available. You will always find Carib (St Lucia) and Heineken. Never has a shortage of beer been a problem for anyone I know living in or visiting SVG!

UK
Level Contributor
315 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beer or Ale ?

Hi obxpat

Different people separated by a common language!

The problem is that Hairoun, Heineken etc are, like most American "beers", really "lagers" to people who use that term. So snillocm's friend is indeed going to struggle getting a traditional "beer". The closest they're likely to find is Guinness, which is technically a "stout".

Having said that, they might strike lucky at Doris's...

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,752 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beer or Ale ?

maybe you are right.....still, I have enjoyed many a beer with my UK friends on Bequia and they survive it year after year with the occasional hangover thrown in!

New York
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beer or Ale ?

I'm happy to be educated if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure "beer" is a generic term which includes ales, lagers, stouts, pilsners and probably a bunch of others I'm not thinking of. So certainly there is "beer" available on Bequia. What types of beer, I leave to those of you who have actually been there!

World
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beer or Ale ?

there is definitely beer in Bequia but not the kind of English beer OP was seeking...typically requested in pubs as "a pint of best bitter". It's hoppy, stored in kegs, poured from optics and served at cellar temperature. As a previous poster mentioned, it might be available in tins from Doris. In Bequia, though I'm quite happy with Hairoun and rum

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
Level Contributor
1,878 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beer or Ale ?

if one is adventurous enough to come to Bequia in the first place, one is liable to be flexible enough to try things that they don't normally get at home...

London, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beer or Ale ?

It might say Guinness on the label but it's somewhat different to that we get here in the UK. On my very first trip to Bequia my colleague and I saw that it was available at the ferry bar and thought we ought to try it - amongst other things much stronger than anything sold in the UK. Chatting to one of the crew he explained that it didn't suit him either "mon it mash up me face!" was his succinct verdict.

England
Level Contributor
749 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beer or Ale ?

Many moons ago, on one of my first visits to SVG, I went to see the Battle Of The Bands at Victoria Park in the run up to Carnival. I was delighted to see the vendors selling Guinness, as I am partial to the odd Guinness in the UK. I really should have inspected the label on the bottle which informs you that it is 8% proof. After a lot of 'Jumping Up' and a belly full of this potent brew, you can guess the result ;-(

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
999 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beer or Ale ?

I was thinking to suggest Doris also since she does carry a lot of imported products. The phone number is 784-457-3134, still haven't gotten the hang of international dialing codes so you will ahve to figure that part out. You could also try Knights Trading, they are on Bequia 784-458-3218.

There is a store on St. Vincent CK Graves that seems to carry quite a large selection of products, they may have some English Ales that they could ship to you via the ferry once you get there, 784-457-1074.

If all else fails that export Guiness will do the trick @ 8% alcohol.

Quick beer lesson from a former homebrewer:

Beer- a generic term for beverages fermented from malt

Lager- beer made with a lager yeast (top fermenting) and fermented at cool tempertures

Ale- beer made with an ale yeast (bottom fermenting) and fermented at higher temperatures

Steam Beer - An American style brewed before refrigeration was common, is fermented with lager yeast but at ale temperatures.

Other than those basic styles there are also the Belguim (sp) beers and Berliner Weise which are fermented with wild yeast.

But as previously stated we are two people seperated by a common language so these definitions are basically American.

Have fun on your holiday