We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

female going solo-is it safe????

vermont
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
female going solo-is it safe????

I've been planning a trip to the Grenadines/Bequia and my boyfriend may not be able to go. So, yes, I might consider going alone. Is it safe during the day to walk across the island and hang out at the beaches alone?? I am in my late 30's and very petite. Any thoughts? I was also thinking of going to St. John because it might be safer when traveling alone. Thanks!!!

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
Level Contributor
1,878 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: female going solo-is it safe????

you will be fine...it's safe...just remember to use common sense...if you are a woman alone, if you are too friendly you will have local guys hanging all over you...unfortunately, you have to be a little abrupt and don't make direct eye contact with the local men...it's just a cultural thing..

as a woman alone, I wouldn't take any of the paths, but stick to the roads...take a taxi at night...

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,752 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: female going solo-is it safe????

I would have to say...skip St John!!! Go to Bequia and the real Caribbean. Don't encourage local "men" and let it be known up front you are not looking for "male" companionship. Enjoy the fantastic island, it's restaurants, beaches and bars. Make conversation with those you feel comfortable with, get a taxi driver to take you around and relax and enjoy the unique island. Let us know your budget etc and you'll get recommendations for safe and friendly places to stay. Keegan's at Lower Bay comes to mind for a simple and clean place to stay. When I traveled as a solo female it was a comfort to stay at Smitty's apts. (rented thru Keegan's). Messenjah and his wife live on site, the yard is gated and you would be quite safe. I enjoyed many stays there with the yard opening right onto the beach, fresh water shower and snorkeling right out front. As a single female it suited me well for several visits. "Fat Man" taxi is a great friend of Keegan's and was a great island guide for me and some of my friends who also enjoyed visits to bequia. While my Family owns property on St John, I would definitely choose Bequia for Holiday! Much more natural,relaxing and a true

get away!

3. Re: female going solo-is it safe????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2014, 15:41
Edited: 30 November 2014, 15:41
Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
Level Contributor
1,878 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: female going solo-is it safe????

beenthere..."We normally don't post on this site as we find the recommendations self serving to the destinations cheerleaders"...this is a Bequia forum...I think the regular forum posters do a fine job of answering peoples queries honestly...we aren't on the Bequia forum to promote other places, but to promote Bequia and help people who want to know about Bequia...I don't know how you figure that the posters are self serving when most of them are frequent visitors with no vested interest other than a love of Bequia, who truth be known would rather Bequia stay like it was 20 and 30 years ago when it was relatively unknown...

I haven't been to St. John, so I can't comment on St. John, but the original question was, would dlc12 be safe in Bequia as a woman on her own...I believe we've answered that...I'm sure she's likely posting on the St. John site as well...

vermont
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: female going solo-is it safe????

Thanks! Bequia definitely is my first choice. I've wanted to visit this unique little island for a very long time. As far as accommodations go, I was thinking Kingsville Apartments.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
821 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: female going solo-is it safe????

I think Kingsville are a fantastic choice, and they are super cute apartments. The other option I was thinking, which would be good are Village Apartments. Both are great, it just depends on if you want to be close to town or close to the beach. Neither is more than a 20-30 minute walk, but if you are by yourself at night, you should be taking a taxi regardless.

Let us know if you have anymore questions. Bequia is such a special place!

bhp
UK
Level Contributor
402 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: female going solo-is it safe????

If you would rather have a local female taxi driver contact Sandra Olivierre of Challenger Taxis - they are on Facebook or look out for the bright yellow taxi trucks.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: female going solo-is it safe????

Another vote for Sandra (an dher husband Curtis) of Challenger Taxi Service. Both are extremely trustworthy, and have on occasion spoken sternly to young men in the local dialect who were paying me (a woman) a little too much attention. The guys left in a hurry.

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: female going solo-is it safe????

ladolcevitabequia

Great response!!!!

I do not live on Bequia nor do I have any vested interests there but do love the island and visit as often as I can.

I do, however post here trying to help answer other peoples' questions about the island.

I live on an island not far from Bequia and post on its forum also but do not consider myself to be a ''cheerleader'' or my posts to be ''self serving'' but rather I honestly try to help people with thier questions be it about Bequia or my home-Isla de Margarita, Venezuela.

I think Tripadvisor is well equipped to deal with people who use these forums for self-promotion.

beenthere-Been to St. John-it is a beautiful island but I would much prefer to spend my time on Bequia, which by the way we may not be doing as much of in the near future due to the fact that Conviasa Airlines' direct flight from Margarita to St. Vincent (35 minutes) is now a thing of the past.

Gonna have to swim I guess.

10. Re: female going solo-is it safe????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 January 2011, 15:35